• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
is Levy trying to buy Vertonghen because he is good or because he is in Levy's eyes cheap with one year left to run on his contract

Manuel Almunia ends 8-yr spell with #AFC & leaves on free transfer. Hoyte, Brislen-Hall, McDermott, Murphy, Campbell & Monakana also leave.

I haven't read any of this thread, but would just like to say

It is possible to beat the big spenders if you buy wisely: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18156868

What worked in England, however, has not worked in France this season.
Qatar Sports Investment talked of European domination when they purchased Paris Saint-Germain last summer, but they will need to conquer France first.
Despite splashing ?ú82m on players and luring Carlo Ancelotti, the capital side were pipped to the title by their modest southern rivals Montpellier, a club whose annual budget of ?ú29m is only the 13th in France and less than the ?ú37m France record PSG spent on Javier Pastore.
Indeed, for those complaining about the influence of wealthy foreign investors in modern football, Montpellier represent the perfect antidote.
PSG's tally of 79 points would usually have been enough for the title, but Montpellier have been extraordinary. Rene Girard's charges finished with 82 points - the second highest total in Ligue 1 history - although they still had to endure a torturous final game at Auxerre on Sunday.

John Utaka equalised for Montpellier
Needing to avoid defeat to claim their first-ever title, Montpellier went behind before recovering through John Utaka's leveller.
An already-tense situation became almost unbearable as the second half was stopped three times due to crowd disturbances. With Auxerre already condemned to relegation, home fans expressed their anger by throwing on tennis balls, eggs, toilet paper and flares.
The third delay lasted more than 20 minutes. As police marched away the offending supporters, the players tried to remain focused. News that PSG's game had finished and that they had come from behind to win at Lorient hardly settled their nerves.
"Montpellier don't deserve this," lamented former France striker Christophe Dugarry on television. The sentiment was shared by many. This was one of the most tantalising finales to a season yet not the climax anybody had hoped for.
When the game re-started, PSG's players were huddled in front of a television. Their hopes were crushed by Utaka's winner, however - with the final whistle sounding 41 minutes later than scheduled.
"This was the longest night of my life," said relieved Montpellier coach Girard amid manic celebrations.
The city of Montpellier has barely slept since. Partying continued through the night and tens of thousands crammed in to the Place de la Comedie to witness Monday's trophy ceremony.

Auxerre's pitch is pelted by tennis balls and toilet rolls
Taking centre stage - and sporting a new orange-and-blue Mohawk haircut - was the architect of Montpellier's success: their loyal president Louis Nicollin.
Nicollin, a self-made entrepreneur, is the driving force behind several sports in the region having invested in local rugby, basketball, handball and football teams. The 68-year-old has been the football club's president since its birth in 1974.
In the early years, he looked to buy success, spending lavishly on the likes of Roger Milla, Eric Cantona and Carlos Valderrama. Although Montpellier won the French Cup in 1990 - thanks in no small part to Laurent Blanc - the success did not last. When relegation ensued Nicollin tightened his purse strings and focused on youth development.
Modern-day Montpellier is founded on hard work, exceptional spirit, homegrown talent and some extremely shrewd signings.
After returning to the top flight in 2009, they finished fifth in Girard's first season. Since then the team has been strengthened by a superb crop of youngsters. Midfield trio Younes Belhanda - France's young player of the year, Remy Cabella and Benjamin Stambouli have stepped up since winning the Coupe Gambardella, France's Youth Cup, in 2009. They have joined fellow graduates Geoffrey Jourdren, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Jamel Saihi in the first team.

Two years ago, Montpellier broke their transfer record to sign striker Olivier Giroud for ?ú1.7m. Last summer, they captured Brazilian defender Vitorino Hilton on a free and Cameroon left-back Henri Bedimo for ?ú1.6m. Giroud won the golden boot with 21 goals this term; he was joined in the Ligue 1 team of the season by Hilton and Bedimo.
On a shoestring budget, Nicollin has overseen the development of one of Ligue 1's finest teams. Whether he can keep the squad together might be his biggest challenge yet.
A reported target for Bayern Munich, Arsenal and PSG, Giroud is believed to be the club's top earner on a ?ú15,000 a week - less than a PSG squad player - and Nicollin insists there will be no big rises. "So long as I'm president, you'll never see a Montpellier player earning ?ú40,000 a week," he declared
What is sure is that next season's Champions League will be a brighter place with Nicollin around. Renowned for his entertaining, often crude comments, Nicollin dismissed talk of the title earlier this season by saying: "If Montpellier win the league, PSG, Marseille and Lyon will be stabbing themselves in the backside with a sausage."
He later promised to copy Cabella's haircut if ever they did finish as champions.
As ever, 'Loulou' kept to his word - and while the Mohawk made him look faintly ridiculous, few would begrudge him his moment in the sun

John Utaka :D

Just a thought..........and I may have my details wrong......

Did Inter only qualify for EL too?

If so, assuming Modders goes, should we make a cheeky bid for Wesley Sneider?

thats the other player Levy was chasing in Holland8-[

John Utaka

I know. My best mate is a Portsmouth fan, he had me in stitches at times with his slaggging off of the bloke. needless to say he wasnt a fan of him

Modric to Man Utd would put paid to their interest in Sneijder, Sneidjer, vertonghen and VdV, a nice dutch trio for us.

JJetset rated this post as "winner"

"Also, just thinking to myself, you wouldn't fly out just to try and complete a deal for a guy who has already visited the lodge and the ground and agreed personal terms, would you? I mean surely, a few conference calls and an agreement over the phone. There has to be more than Vertonghen about Levy AND Eales' visit to Amsterdam. Why both of them? Why not just Levy? "

It takes one Levy death stare to close the deal.

Pretty sure Diego Lopez from Villarreal has been mentioned in this thread

He has tonight signed a 5-year contract with Sevilla

Dear Admin - In starting a poll at 22:48 last night and closing it at 09:21 this morning, I am reminded of a quotation that allegedly came from Thomas Jefferson:

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." (Only 40 votes!?)

:-":D

Last edited:
Back