• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chelsea is revamping their squad pretty well. How they manage to keep everyone happy there in the next season will be the really important.

I think they have a real chance to challenge next season. Marin will prove to be a pretty astute buy to my mind plus the addition of Hazard should be a good one really. The key is if they really can change the way they play having the one up top being a last shoulder type guy instead of a forward who was a fulcrum and build up point for attacking play.

If it clicks, they could be pretty devastating going forward next season with Mata and Lampard chipping in with the assists/goals. Defensively I still think they look a little suspect, especially with Cech who imo has never looked as convincing since he had that terrible injury in 06/07 yet it never seems to be highlighted? Bit like Reina at Liverpool.

Emmanuel Adebayor is close to sealing a £6million permanent move to Tottenham, with a contract that would make him the best paid player in the club's history.
It is believed he will sign a three-year deal worth in the region of £115,000-per-week - plus a £4m signing-on bonus.

He ain't worth that kind of money?

We just dont have the financial pull to beat the biggest teams to the punch for players so if we're in direct competition with the likes of Chelsea or Man Utd we are are unlikely to sign them.

Makes little sense to me, they were weak up front and at the back last season. Their midfield did well. So buy more midfielders...

They are likely to play a 4-2-3-1. They need players enough for their 2 holding/defensive positions and for their 3 attacking positions. Although they could also play a 4-3-3, in that case they would probably still pick 2 from the holding category and one from the attacking category in the centre of midfield and two of the attacking midfielders for the wide positions.

Holding:
Michael Essien
Oriol Romeu
Ramires
Frank Lampard*
John Obi Mikel
Joshua McEachran

Essien is consistently injured, Lampard is getting old, McEachran wasn't good enough for Swansea last season, Romeu is still young and Mikel probably isn't good enough. That leaves only Ramires who is clearly good enough and not yet old. I'm guessing they will want one more proven player for this position and that they will ship some players out either on loans or transfers.

Attacking:
Juan Mata
Eden Hazard
Marko Marin
Florent Malouda
Raul Meireles*
Yossi Benayoun
Daniel Sturridge
Gael Kakuta

Malouda, Sturridge and Benayoun are all probably going to be shipped out. Kakuta is still young and unproven, Meireles is only almost good enough in my opinion, even counting him that's 4 players for 3 positions 5 for 3 if you count Lampard, I'm guessing they will want one more player to make sure they have options and ability to rotate and cope with injuries.

Think that's all of them. Lampard and Meireles at least have played both as holders and attacking midfielders, put one in each category. Long story short, they have a lot of players now and a fairly big squad, but it's a very unbalanced squad made up of a lot of older players (some with severe injury problems) and younger players that honestly haven't proven themselves good enough yet.

We just dont have the financial pull to beat the biggest teams to the punch for players so if we're in direct competition with the likes of Chelsea or Man Utd we are are unlikely to sign them.

Yet we are ready to pay Ade 110K a week and a 4m signing on fee.

It also does not help that instead of identifying him and actually making a bid 4 weeks ago we allow the story to fester in the press for 2 weeks and bam in come another club

REAL MADRID are ready to offer Ricardo Carvalho in a bid to land Luka Modric.

Croatian playmaker Modric, 26, wants to leave Tottenham and has made it clear playing for Jose Mourinho is his only choice of destination.

Spurs are resigned to losing the player but want £35million after rejecting massive bids from Chelsea a year ago.

Former Blues star Carvalho, 34, worked with new Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas at Porto.

Luis Martins has been appointed first-team coach at Spurs but AVB is yet to appoint his assistant.

Modric 26 - Carvalho 34, yeah seems fair to me

Lampard may be getting old but can you see him stepping aside after what happened with AVB? RDM will have to play him or risk another player revolt.

Marin, Hazard and Oscar...clearly huge talents, but we're talking about £65m the set for starters. And are you really going to hang a title challenge on three very young players new to a very hard league? Marin is probably made of the right stuff, but Hazard looks a flakey character to me (maybe a Kezman type) and Oscar is a kid a long way from home. Maybe they'll all shine, but maybe not.

I also think the Ade story mentioned above about €115k pw + a signing-on fee is wrong. My understanding is that signing-on fee comes from notional savings we've made on a low transfer fee due to City being desperate to get rid, and this money is being given to Ade up-front in order to keep his headline monthly wage down, thus not breaking wage structures at the club. Absolutely no way Levy would throw that policy away, and by so much, on Ade at this moment. No way. The story must be wrong.

Paulo Freitas ‏@Cynegeticus

Oscar just talked to Globo Esporte, he said: 'I will stay [at Internacional]". ‪#CFC‬ ‪#Internacional‬ ‪#THFC

Wouldn't surprise me at all if these Oscar to Chelsea rumours were encouraged by Chelsea so that they can then go to Levy and say, "okay....we'll leave Oscar to you if you agree to sell us Modric".

Or is that too far fetched? Too Machiavellian?

Not at all. Probably just the sort of thing Chelsea and their hierachy would do.

Back