• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i feel sick!

oh, and we paid £8m for Dean - f'ing - Richards!!
and £5m for Thatcher!

We got Raped for Richards simply cos SCBC were annoyed about Hoddle. And Hod wanted HIS man in! that said, Richards was pretty good for a while and then turned brick!

Understood mate, and admittedly I only saw the pre-seasons on telly in various places, but to be fair, he looked absolutely MASSIVE to me when I first saw him, in fact, I thought a fat Cameron Jerome was being given a run-out!

On a related tangent, I think fitness and a bit of pace/sharpness/nimbility (???) is a prerequisite of AVB's, and the second he came in, my mate Jonny and I said we felt that very sadly, Daws would not fit into what he likes to do. To me THAT'S a sad sad thing, especially as Daws is the club skipper AND the diplomatic face of the club with UA, but truth be told, I do not see anyone at Utd or City who are Daws-ish. I love his spirit and love his vibe, but if we can play the ball out of defense with skill and accuracy via Verts and Kaboul, or a.n.other, I will be delighted. PERSONALLY, I would keep him in the squad as there are times and moments where you need a 'Daws' (like Barca have Puyol) except Daws isn't Puyol!!!!! I have to say, I feel very very positive about where this squad could end up BUT (and it is a massive 'but') they need to work together, want to win together and play to instruction. It's a very continental way of acting and I sincerely hope we're up to the task...ironically, not finishing third last season absolutely cost us Edin Hazard, and he is absolutely the sort of player who would thrive under AVB IMHO. I only hope that perhaps AVB can unlock Dos Santos as a Spurs player...time will tell old friend, time will tell...

Really really hoping we pull a rabbit from the striking hat along the lines of Lewandowski (dreaming I'm sure) as well as Ade...still cannot help but wonder if we are looking at Berbatov, even though his, er, 'pace' and 'pressing game' (I'm being ironic just in case anyone wonders) don't suit AVB's way of doing things...

Having slept on it, I think the main crux of my concern over all the reported player movements is that I don't feel as though last season's squad was in need of a wholesale makeover. For the first half of the season, we played possibly the best football I have ever seen us play on a consistent basis. And that includes the early '80s teams. We were absolutely flying and tearing teams apart. Sure we had some deadwood in the squad, and also we needed one or two extra players in certain positions, but to tear all that up and go back to the drawing board seems like a big gamble, and one that we didn't have to make. Now let me be clear that I am not anti-AVB, or his proposed style of play, but I am concerned that if his plans don't work out as intended, and his record so far in this department is 50% (with a 0% record in England) then we will be left with a bunch of continental-style players who do not fit the PL and we find ourselves in a similar situation to when Ramos was sacked. Plus the fact that it always takes time to bed in new overseas players within the team and the style of play in the PL, it's very plausible we won't get off to a good start this season which in turn puts pressure on AVB and this gamble could turn sour on us long-suffering fans quickly.

Of course, the flip-side is that AVB may be the tactical guru that some claim (based on one-season of success in an inferior league) and we end up competing in the CL on a regular basis, but he has yet to prove anything to me and the more shiny new (and overseas) players we keep bringing in, the more concerned I am about the team gelling and getting the results necessary to keep the fans and press off AVB's back.

Re: the 5th CB, why not Carvalho in a player/coach role?

Oh, and finally.... COYS!!!!

Yep Richards was a good player imo and struggled when he got that illness. Died tragically young.

You know what, i forgot about that until you reminded me. Football feels so transitory now, players in and out its hard to keep track of what is going on every season.

RIP dean

Lee Clayton @LeeClayton_
Spurs have agreed a fee with QPR for Michael Dawson. Close to £10million, subject to medical and personal terms. Good signing for QPR.

Hmm...I'm a bit disappointed I have to say. Ah well, I trust AVB knows what he is doing.

Wow big fee. Clayton the daily mail guy?

If true, I would hope this would indicate some big big signings on the way.

I can imagine AVB pressing for a 30m + striker, and being told by Levy he needs to find serious cash to make it happen - so sacrifices someone who is not deadwood and is well regarded by most in the game.

Could be a brave and exiting move.

Don't knw what to make of Dawson move. Great bloke, but wouldn't be first on my teamsheet. Just hope we don't leave ourselves too short because he is still a good player who can do a job.

It's brick money if we don't reinvest it. Let's say we got 5 for basong get 10 for Dawson and 30 for Modric I'd bet my life savings on us spending less than 45 mill seems levys doing same trick he did in January get rid of squad players and not replace/spend the money

how about we pay for the stadium as much as we can without going into debt which can be kinda expensive these days.

It's brick money if we don't reinvest it. Let's say we got 5 for basong get 10 for Dawson and 30 for Modric I'd bet my life savings on us spending less than 45 mill seems levys doing same trick he did in January get rid of squad players and not replace/spend the money

Don't forget that we recently extended the contracts of a number of our top paid players. Reinvesting isn't always just transfer fees.

how about we pay for the stadium as much as we can without going into debt which can be kinda expensive these days.

I doubt if we intend to fund the stadium out of player trading. I do take your point on not digging a big debt hole but the solution to financing the stadium is sponsorship, not raiding the petty cash jar.

Considering the net spend on transfers over recent years and the players that have been (or will be) moved on this window + the new TV money on the horizon then you'd have to think we will push the boat out for someone. I predict our record transfer this window!!

... I don't feel as though last season's squad was in need of a wholesale makeover. For the first half of the season, we played possibly the best football I have ever seen us play on a consistent basis. And that includes the early '80s teams. We were absolutely flying and tearing teams apart.

Completely agree with this. But importantly, the players that appear to be on their way out (with the obvious exception of Modric) are all players who didn't really feature in that run of games - Dawson, Huddlestone, Bassong, Jenas, Rose, etc. Looks to me as though AVB is essentially holding onto the players that went on that great run of games, getting rid of the players who weren't involved, and potentially bringing in upgrades for some of them.

Which seems like a sound strategy to me. Though obviously we'll have to wait and see how well it turns out.

Back