• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There have definitely been times when we've been massively stretched in this area, although to be fair King, Woodgate and Gallas being injured meaning we were down to 4th and 5th choice probably isn't a fair reflection of how things will go.

Kaboul, Gallas, Vertonghen, Caulker and Dawson. It wasn't too long ago that we had Doherty, Richards, Gardner and Thatcher as our CB options!

A little bit of sick came up after I read that.

When has our 5th choice centre back been called upon bar Europa League/other meanlingless games?! Sorry, but you're not going to keep any decent CB happy as 5th choice and you're living in dreamland if you think Dawson would happily sit around being that. As for AVB, he has already said only the other day he has learnt from Chelsea that you can't change too much too soon and therefore won't be wholesale changes in this window. Dawson a fans favourite? Not sure about that. Well all appreciate what a model pro he is, but lets be honest its not like we're selling Gareth Bale here he doesn't have that much footballing talent - he is a try hard and body on the line who is a decent player, nothing more. We have far better defenders suited for how we are going to play under AVB and its best for all parties if he does go.....

Frankly I don't care if he is happy or not. He is a good pro who is getting paid a good wage to put in the effort in training, Europa, League cup or whatever the coach thinks is necessary. The game is about squad not just a 1st team, a failing of the previous incumbent IMO. I for one would like more emphasis put on the competitions like the Eurpoa league and League cup where we stand a greater chance of winning it. If these are the only matches that Dawson plays then so be it. It is giving a rest to the others if this is the case.

I'll conceed that he more than likely will have a few Terry moments playing a high back line, especially in the PL, but considering the service he has given to the club I think we should show a little loyalty.

My fans favourite comment was actually a reference to Thudd, though I didn't make that clear, but I'd hardly say Dawson is a hate figure. Seems well liked to me.

@ITK_Gossip

@Agent_ITK *Modric replacement will be out of the blue.

Also had a tweet up yesterday claiming Ade will be done Wednesday -Thursday at the latest but seems to have deleted it.

So then it's out of the blue, not out of the yellow like POTL says?

The other thing, is that I'd say the number one thing which leads to a manager's downfall is not having the players to play the way they want. .

Agree Wholeheartedly

Reminds me of when Hoddle was in charge, and wanted to use wingbacks, but IIRC, there was only one game where he had both wingbacks fit/available. = Downfall.

However, Harry's strngth seemed to be, that he made the sysrem fit the players he had available - got VDV on the tranfer deadline and he found a way to use him, even though it wasn't a system, Harry would normally play.

Huddlestone IMO even more than Dawson, has some amazing qualities - seems a shame AVB can't seem to find a way to use them.

Agree Wholeheartedly

Reminds me of when Hoddle was in charge, and wanted to use wingbacks, but IIRC, there was only one game where he had both wingbacks fit/available. = Downfall.

However, Harry's strngth seemed to be, that he made the sysrem fit the players he had available - got VDV on the tranfer deadline and he found a way to use him, even though it wasn't a system, Harry would normally play.

Huddlestone IMO even more than Dawson, has some amazing qualities - seems a shame AVB can't seem to find a way to use them.

Surely you are just contradicting yourself... you seem to criticise Harry for changing his system to fit in VDV and then expect AVB to do he same to fit in Thudd. And to be honest, VDV is head and shoulders above Thudd!

Marcus Alves ‏@alves_marcus14m
According to a Brazilian source,Tottenham representatives are in Porto Alegre to buy Leandro Damiao. Internacional refused their first offer

Lee Clayton @LeeClayton_
Spurs have agreed a fee with QPR for Michael Dawson. Close to £10million, subject to medical and personal terms. Good signing for QPR.

Surely you are just contradicting yourself... you seem to criticise Harry for changing his system to fit in VDV and then expect AVB to do he same to fit in Thudd. And to be honest, VDV is head and shoulders above Thudd!

I am just trying to point out that it is confusing and complex.
On the one hand...
On the other hand...
Hard to know if you stick to a certain system, above all, or that a prgmatic, but perhaps more visionless and less tactically astute approach is better,

That, I guess, is what we are about to find out this season, and what the whole AVB gamble is about.

It's brick money if we don't reinvest it. Let's say we got 5 for basong get 10 for Dawson and 30 for Modric I'd bet my life savings on us spending less than 45 mill seems levys doing same trick he did in January get rid of squad players and not replace/spend the money

Back