• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Massively disagree.

Dawson doesn't suit playing a high line as much as Terry didn't. Only we can move Dawson out where as they couldn't move Terry out. The more players we have that can play the way AVB wants, the more successful he will be.

We don't need to spend £8m on a back up if Dawson goes, it's great business all round. Caulker, Gallas, Kaboul and Vertonghen is a great selection of centre backs, and all of them will expect game time. We are well stocked as it is. For a 5th choice, we need a young guy who's willing to wait around and accept not getting much time. And someone who is suited to how we want to play. Dawson can go.

I have to disagree, 4 is not enough and never has been at Spurs with our injury record. And if the choice for that 5th spot is between and experienced PL defender who was superb in our run to the CL and some snotty nosed kid out of the academy who will tinkle himself when he sees Rooney running at him then I know which I would choose. Obviously I have embellished for dramatic effect but I see no reason to shift Dawson out, considering he has effectively been reduced to backup.

I also have to worry that AVB will try and change too much too soon, which is his mistake at Chelsea lets not forget. There has already been a lot of churn at the club, some forced on us some not. Moving out fan favourites and team stalwarts on day one will rightly open him up to criticism if things start to go awry. It is to these pros you look to in the sticky patches - not talented youngsters.

Announcements on quite a few sponsorship deals and the sale of bassong in recent days.. Surely we have the moolah for players now!!! Argh!

I have to disagree, 4 is not enough and never has been at Spurs with our injury record. And if the choice for that 5th spot is between and experienced PL defender who was superb in our run to the CL and some snotty nosed kid out of the academy who will tinkle himself when he sees Rooney running at him then I know which I would choose. Obviously I have embellished for dramatic effect but I see no reason to shift Dawson out, considering he has effectively been reduced to backup.

I also have to worry that AVB will try and change too much too soon, which is his mistake at Chelsea lets not forget. There has already been a lot of churn at the club, some forced on us some not. Moving out fan favourites and team stalwarts on day one will rightly open him up to criticism if things start to go awry. It is to these pros you look to in the sticky patches - not talented youngsters.

Hmm i agree, but also agree with BrainofLevy. Guess im just a sheep that votes for whichever party has the most colourful campaign posters.

Let the division begin!! One thing AVB certainly doesn't seem to be doing is choosing the easy route. He's going to live or die by his philosphies and ideas. You have to respect that.

Although, just to add another POV, maybe he really is under sell before you buy pressure from Levy; if that's the case there aren't many other areas in which he could afford to lose a non first choice player and at the same time gain a decent whack for him. Dawson stands out as being someone who isnt vital to us but still he might go for decent money.

Its always a bit of uncomfortable viewing when a club man like Daws is pushed through the exit doors but I feel in this case its probably needs must.

When has our 5th choice centre back been called upon bar Europa League/other meanlingless games?! Sorry, but you're not going to keep any decent CB happy as 5th choice and you're living in dreamland if you think Dawson would happily sit around being that. As for AVB, he has already said only the other day he has learnt from Chelsea that you can't change too much too soon and therefore won't be wholesale changes in this window. Dawson a fans favourite? Not sure about that. Well all appreciate what a model pro he is, but lets be honest its not like we're selling Gareth Bale here he doesn't have that much footballing talent - he is a try hard and body on the line who is a decent player, nothing more. We have far better defenders suited for how we are going to play under AVB and its best for all parties if he does go.....

David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david
Adebayor from Emirates Marketing Project to Tottenham was done long ago - only issue is compensation for 2 years left on contract. Will go through#mcfc #thfc

When has our 5th choice centre back been called upon bar Europa League/other meanlingless games?! Sorry, but you're not going to keep any decent CB happy as 5th choice and you're living in dreamland if you think Dawson would happily sit around being that. As for AVB, he has already said only the other day he has learnt from Chelsea that you can't change too much too soon and therefore won't be wholesale changes in this window. Dawson a fans favourite? Not sure about that. Well all appreciate what a model pro he is, but lets be honest its not like we're selling Gareth Bale here he doesn't have that much footballing talent - he is a try hard and body on the line who is a decent player, nothing more. We have far better defenders suited for how we are going to play under AVB and its best for all parties if he does go.....

spot on imo. Noone is calling Dawson brick and he is a true professional but this is football sometimes it is best for both parties to move on

I seem to remember being left with Livermore having to play CB last season once or twice??

Could be wrong. Am very old.

To be fair we've added Vertonghen and Caulker who should both be fitter than King or Dawson. I think Kaboul, Veronghen, Caulker and Gallas WOULD be enough if Gallas had a better fitness record.

David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david
Adebayor from Emirates Marketing Project to Tottenham was done long ago - only issue is compensation for 2 years left on contract. Will go through#mcfc #thfc

so it's not done then?

itk's have been saying this for about 3 weeks now, but it's taken this long to sort out that compo so not exactly "done" is it?

There have definitely been times when we've been massively stretched in this area, although to be fair King, Woodgate and Gallas being injured meaning we were down to 4th and 5th choice probably isn't a fair reflection of how things will go.

Kaboul, Gallas, Vertonghen, Caulker and Dawson. It wasn't too long ago that we had Doherty, Richards, Gardner and Thatcher as our CB options!

I seem to remember being left with Livermore having to play CB last season once or twice??

Was that in PL or Europa League? Either way, point is you don't keep someone of Dawson's calibre on the payroll as a 5th choice CB just incase of an injury crisis that means he's needed for a couple of weeks, its completely unrealistic. If you're unfortunate enough to have the most ridiculous injury crisis that you do need another CB then you just have to improvise - Utd do with Carrick....

Maybe 5 was needed when one of our CBs was King...and the other one was Dawson, who has been fairly unlucky at a couple of points throughout his career.

But Caulker, Kaboul and Vertonghen all seem to be young and fit and will all expect some game time. Gallas has had his issues, particularly with his calf but seems to have come through pre-season well and therefore it's a good compliment of players.

The thing is, players are often as only as good as the tactics they are being deployed with. If we are sending Dawson out there, telling the whole team to press and playing a high line we may as well let him go anyway. He simply won't be as good as he would be if he was deployed another way. That's not a criticism of tactics or of Dawson, it's just that some players suit certain ways of playing. And AVB letting Dawson go isn't doing too much too soon, certainly not when we have 4 better centre backs more suited to the way he wants to play. It's good business.

Actually one of AVB's biggest mistakes at Chelsea WAS trying too hard to shoe-horn 'die-hard chelsea men' into a team when they clearly weren't suited. The sight of Terry and Lampard constantly being exposed by the high intensity pressing game and high-line made for hilarious viewing at the time as a Spurs fan, but in reality it demonstrated that AVB would have probably done a better job if Terry and Lampard weren't around.

Dawson won't fit the style, or at least could be over-exposed by the style, but sat around on the bench not playing could also be a destructive and/or negative influence on the dressing room given his clear influence and stature at the club.

If he isn't going to be playing much, it makes sense to get rid, no matter how sad it will be. Same with Thudd.

I think having all those injury prone center backs the last few years has left everyone mentally scarred. Kaboul, Caulker, Vertonghen and Gallas is more than enough cover. Anything beyond that should come from the development side in desperate situations. Otherwise how will they ever get a chance. Also we have to keep our wages down, to pay our better players better. That is easily done by not bloating the squad and having some reserve positions for younger cheaper upcoming players. Not experienced pros earning lots of wonga!!!

Actually one of AVB's biggest mistakes at Chelsea WAS trying too hard to shoe-horn 'die-hard chelsea men' into a team when they clearly weren't suited. The sight of Terry and Lampard constantly being exposed by the high intensity pressing game and high-line made for hilarious viewing at the time as a Spurs fan, but in reality it demonstrated that AVB would have probably done a better job if Terry and Lampard weren't around.

Dawson won't fit the style, or at least could be over-exposed by the style, but sat around on the bench not playing could also be a destructive and/or negative influence on the dressing room given his clear influence and stature at the club.

If he isn't going to be playing much, it makes sense to get rid, no matter how sad it will be. Same with Thudd.

Perfectly put.

The other thing, is that I'd say the number one thing which leads to a manager's downfall is not having the players to play the way they want. Most of them are good coaches, with good ideas, and can handle the players. And most players will listen to any manager, provided that manager plays them in a way that gets the best out of them. But going against that just leads to inconsistency and poor performances.

I bet Rodgers is going to struggle until he has a team and a squad really suited to the way he wants to play at Liverpool. At the moment he doesn't have all the pieces. He will win a few games, but he will also lose a few. Relatively speaking Swansea did better under him because they had the players to play that way. They overachieve where as Liverpool will probably stagnate for a year.

And exactly the same with AVB. He was never the right man for Chelsea, considering he wouldn't be able to move Terry on and yet relied heavily on a high line...which was the style of football the owner brought him in to implement. We can move Dawson out. We should do it. Particularly if we get a great price for him. Terry in a high line is no better than Dawson in a high line, they are both much better deployed a different way.

There have definitely been times when we've been massively stretched in this area, although to be fair King, Woodgate and Gallas being injured meaning we were down to 4th and 5th choice probably isn't a fair reflection of how things will go.

Kaboul, Gallas, Vertonghen, Caulker and Dawson. It wasn't too long ago that we had Doherty, Richards, Gardner and Thatcher as our CB options!

i feel sick!

oh, and we paid £8m for Dean - f'ing - Richards!!
and £5m for Thatcher!

Back