• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious relegation fears

One final point (unless I didnt hear it or see it)

Amongst all the media w@nkfest over Leicester being crowned Champions (congratulation to them)

Was their one mention at all last night, that the point we picked up OFFICIALLY GUARANTEED a Top 4 finish meaning we have qualified for the Champions League?

If we don't manage to finish above them this season, after all that's gone on, it'll be a massive kick in the balls, so I don't agree it doesn't matter. It would be a huge downer and a potential psychological barrier to realising our potential next term. One that we certainly don't need.

I agree. We've had a great season and need to take something from it - finishing above the other lot would be a nice monkey to have off our backs

Would it be worth it to relegate that other fat clam up there?

Most certainly. Beat Soton at home and all is good for letting Saudi Sportswashing Machine beat us last game of the season. However, a win for Saudi Sportswashing Machine against Villa on Saturday should keep them up.

Yesterday was tough. So happy at 1-0 and 2-0, then the disappointment of the second half and knowing that the title was no longer possible...

Still fantastically proud of our team this season. It's really been a joy to watch and I hope we manage to secure 2nd and finish ahead of the scum.

no difference between 2nd and 3rd, both have the same prize

good opportunity to give the reserves some action
There is a financial difference - additional merit payment from the Premier League and larger share of the "market pool" from next season's Champions League.
If Bayern win the CL the Ukrainian champions will move into pot 1. That's likely to be Dynamo Kiev and not Donetsk, 4 point lead with 2 games left. :(
Dynamo Kiev are certain to be Ukrainian champions. One of their remaining games is against Metalurh Zaporizhya, but they have been expelled from the Ukrainian league and Kiev will be awarded the match by default.

We shouldn't be worried by any team we get drawn against, we have a squad that can battle against the best of them.

Great achievement to finish 3rd at least. Shame it kind of got lost in last nights disappointment. Seems strange remembering the celebratory scenes at City when we secured Champions League last time and realising we haven't really had "that" moment this time around. Hopefully a win on Sunday to secure 2nd will result in some big scenes.

One final point (unless I didnt hear it or see it)

Amongst all the media w@nkfest over Leicester being crowned Champions (congratulation to them)

Was their one mention at all last night, that the point we picked up OFFICIALLY GUARANTEED a Top 4 finish meaning we have qualified for the Champions League?

4th only guarantees a qualifying round, another win guarantees second

I just want to quote JimB on SSC, as his comment perfectly sums up my view too.
Apologies, all, for the lengthy and largely off topic stream of consciousness that follows. It's just that I don't post in any Spurs forums - or even in the Sports forum on the UK section of SSC - any more. And I've felt the overwhelming need to get this off my chest for quite some time! So here goes:

I just wanted to express how incredibly proud of Spurs I am right now - whatever the result tomorrow at Stamford Bridge or results next weekend or even the weekend after. I'm incredibly proud of how we've played this season - consistently the best football of any team in the league over the past nine months and, at time of writing, the best goal difference, the fewest goals conceded, the most shots at goal and the second most goals scored. And I'm proud that we've done it all with comfortably the youngest team in the league - on average four years younger than Leicester.

Where we've fallen short, if we do fall short (as seems most likely), is having not been as efficient as Leicester. They have made their fewer chances really count. They have scored when they needed to; got critical, last ditch blocks and tackles in when they needed to. Their work rate and team ethic has been deeply impressive. They have ground out narrow win after narrow win - while turning in the occasional super performance. That shows great mental resilience on their part and, possibly reflects their greater age and maturity. If they win the title, as they should, they will have deserved it (though not before then, as so many pundits would have us believe).

At this point, please excuse the bitterness in the following few paragraphs (don't worry - I'll get over it!). While I understand the Leicester love in, I can't also help but find it somewhat nauseating, over the top and more than a little disrespectful to Spurs. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth when successive players or managers from other clubs publicly state their support for Leicester immediately before playing them or before playing their only title rivals. That's not an accusation of foul play, by the way. But it's still not right.

Also leaving a bad taste in the mouth is the universal hysteria and risible bias in the media. It's been building for months but the BBC website's live text update today was simply a joke (and the catalyst for me finally to vent my spleen!). Not a shred of objectivity. For instance, a huge deal was made of Fellaini's elbow but almost nothing whatsoever made of Huth's hair pull - the kind of thing he's been getting away with all season. If Fellaini is handed a three match ban (as he should be and as Dele Alli was), then so should Huth. He was guilty of violent conduct and unacceptable provocation. Let's see what happens....

More generally, there are many things that have been conveniently swept under the carpet as the hysteria has taken hold. Luis Suarez was never forgiven for his racial slur towards Patrice Evra. Yet the media have given Leicester's poster boy, Jamie Vardy, a comparatively free ride for his even greater transgression. And what of Leicester breaking the Football League's financial rules, thereby allowing them a far bigger budget than their Championship rivals a couple of seasons ago and leading to their promotion. Nary a serious mention of it in the media, let alone anything by way of sustained, in depth investigation. Nothing, it seems, must be allowed to taint the fairytale narrative. Indeed, in some warped way, it might almost be just as well that Spurs likely won't win the title this season since they might otherwise forever have been demonised.

In the meanwhile, Spurs have got on with their season quietly and professionally, aware that practically the whole nation - world, even - is willing their failure. It seems harsh. This is a club that has gone about things the right way - operating within their means; promoting youth; giving chances to academy products; filling the team with a core of English players; fighting for years (not just the one season) to crack the elite against overwhelming financial odds.

This is a club that has invested heavily in one of the best academy systems in the country; in one of the finest training facilities in the world; and is in the process of building an outstanding new stadium. All with money that it generates itself and all without getting into debt. This is a club that has been knocking on the door for years - suffering considerable misfortune along the way (lasagne, Chelsea CL win etc). This is a club that has, arguably more than any other, been disadvantaged by the emergence of two clubs financed by super rich owners. But for Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project's good fortune, it is likely that Spurs would by now have become Champions League perennials and, perhaps, regular title challengers. This is a club whose fans have had to bear the taunts of not one but two fierce, local rivals who have won multiple trophies over the past couple of decades; while another fierce, local rival has had a £600 million, 60K+ stadium (and all associated infrastructure) fall into their laps. So Spurs are deserving of wider respect, empathy and fair-mindedness than they have received this season - especially since they will have had to cope with a far busier fixture schedule (ten more games in total than Leicester) and ten fiercely fought local derbies (as opposed to none for Leicester).

Which brings me back to where I started. I am incredibly proud of Spurs right now - of the players; the manager; the chairman; the academy; the training ground; and the stadium that is rising before our eyes. I am proud of how everyone associated with the club has conducted themselves with such quiet honour, dignity and integrity this season. I am hugely optimistic for our future. And I think we will win silverware soon.

But the title? There has been an assumption among the masses jumping on the Leicester bandwagon this season that this will be Leicester's only chance to win the title while Spurs will have plenty more such opportunities in the years ahead. Why? Spurs haven't won the title for 55 years (and have rarely come close in the interim) and, with the likes of City, Chelsea and Utd having far greater resources at their disposal, the odds will still be massively against Spurs next season and beyond. There is no guarantee at all.

But if they are right - if Spurs do win the title soon - then no club will have deserved it more.

COYS
And we can add a few other points too. What about that doctor who claimed to have helped City, Leicester and Cheatski players with drugs? That story disappeared quickly didn't it? And also now the investigation of Leicester breaching financial fair play the season they got promoted. Nothing in the media of that, because that would taint the fairy tale wouldn't it? Add to that we faced 5 consecutive weeks of playing after Leicester. How is that fair?

Oops, we have guaranteed 3rd

Yep, and a win against Soton or a draw and a City win against Arsenal also guarantees 2nd. Theoretically if both us and Arsenal draw we should finish 2nd unless we lose heavily and Arsenal win heavily last day of the season.

Back