• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious relegation fears

[QUOTE="I think that the USA beating the Soivet Union at the Olympics was bigger [/QUOTE]

The odds on that have formed part of the commercials ad nauseum that NBC have been using over here. I believe that it showed the odds were much less than the 5,000-1. That is logical if you think about it because it was a one-off game rather than a 38 game season.

Absolutely bizarre that people in here were wanting Southampton to win that game.
We are playing them next.
If they have drew or lost that they would have had nothing to play for.
Now they are in a battle for European places.

What were the odds? Was it a one-off match or a 38 game tournament?

One article says this:

Or how about the “Miracle on Ice”? In 1980, a group of American college kids beat the seemingly-unconquerable Soviet Union in ice hockey at the Winter Olympics. Again, it was called a miracle. Bookmakers gave the Yanks 1,000-1 odds — way better than Leicester City.

Absolutely bizarre that people in here were wanting Southampton to win that game.
We are playing them next.
If they have drew or lost that they would have had nothing to play for.
Now they are in a battle for European places.

Absolutely bizarre is a bit of an overstatement, no? ;) Now we're more likely to keep City behind us, So'ton aren't direct competitors to our league position, which City are.

Yea but honestly I'd much rather us secure title/second/third by winning our games rather than relying on others not winning theirs. We should be looking to finish the season in style. Set a marker now for next season.

My thinking was that had they played and say drawn we know that a win would secure 2nd and we could have a real good celebration as the players walk round for the their lap of honour. As it is now, unless we get a least a point tomorrow, we wont know if a win will have been good enough next Sunday until we all get home.

Absolutely bizarre is a bit of an overstatement, no? ;) Now we're more likely to keep City behind us, So'ton aren't direct competitors to our league position, which City are.

I think with them going for the win will make it a more open game which might suit us more

My thinking was that had they played and say drawn we know that a win would secure 2nd and we could have a real good celebration as the players walk round for the their lap of honour. As it is now, unless we get a least a point tomorrow, we wont know if a win will have been good enough next Sunday until we all get home.

Simple. Win tomorrow and beat Soton. Job done.

If they had have beat Southampton it would be
Tottenham P35 +39 69 Pts
Emirates Marketing Project P36 +33 67 Pts
Arsenal P36 +25 67 Pts

City play Arsenal next

If you didn't think we can get 4 points from the next 3 games (with Southampton with nothing to play for) you should give up.

If they had have beat Southampton it would be
Tottenham P35 +39 69 Pts
Emirates Marketing Project P36 +33 67 Pts
Arsenal P36 +25 67 Pts

City play Arsenal next

If you didn't think we can get 4 points from the next 3 games (with Southampton with nothing to play for) you should give up.

I just don't agree that we're in a worse position now that So'ton have anything to play for. They have to be aggressive now, which might suit us.

This probably belongs in the 'Struggle for 4th' thread (mods, please move it if that is the case), but here we go.

I happen to think that our 3 Monday games in a row at this point in the season is unfair and puts extra pressure on us. For example, if we had played before Leicester at least once and won it would, in my opinion, have put extra pressure on them for their next game. Pressure that I believe would grow as they had to wait the one or two days after our game to play.

I know some of us have debated this before (and like most things there are divergent opinions), but has there ever been a season when the league has been this close when ONE TEAM, and one team only, has been made to play after the leaders three times in a row? I am guessing it's Sky deciding the schedule but I am curious if there has ever been this kind of scheduling before.

COYS!!!!

No not as far as I can remember

There have been seasons when arse and United were going at it when they alternated the games not not like this

We are lie rally public be enemy number 1

There even doing a MOTD special tomo now I'm the hope we don't win

Deller winning the worlds in 83 was pretty big, complete unknown who beat the top 3 players in the world in consecutive matches to win it.

No not as far as I can remember

There have been seasons when arse and United were going at it when they alternated the games not not like this

We are lie rally public be enemy number 1

There even doing a MOTD special tomo now I'm the hope we don't win

fudging clams

they are only allowed to do that if a team in the match can win the title, they are obviously more interested in watching us lose it than they are seeing Leicester win it

fudging clams

I was listening to Five Live earlier whilst pruning (hacking at) my apple orchard (5 trees is an orchard, right?).

All the pundits agreed that Leicester winning the title would be the biggest upset in the history of sport, i.e. no individual or team has ever won something as big as the Premier League when starting with odds of 5000-1.

They are probably right... it is like Dagenham winning the FA Cup or Ernie the Eel winning the Olympic swimming, it just doesn't happen.

That is why everyone is saying "I hope they do it". It is nothing to do with Spurs or the Goons or anyone else, it is just that 5000-1 odds against winners are incredibly rare.

Can't agree with that. Surely, non-footballing team Greece coming from nowhere to win the Euro 2004 is the biggest upset in sports history ! Atleast Leicester have bought key players from 11 different countries. Greece had no such luxury. They were not known for their football but somehow build a team from homegrown players to go all the way to win Euro 2004, beating the home team and favourites Portugal twice in the process ! Remember it was the first time Greece was ever playing at the Euros !

Back