• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

No - they mainly came from driving play on the break. Not against tightly-packed deep-sitting defences like we encounter.

For me the similarities with Sissoko (in terms of basic skills set) 12 months ago are just too close

He has much more ability than Sissoko, now you are just taking the pi $$

We will need a player than can make driving runs from deep. It will add another dimension to the squad and might be useful whilst playing at Wembley and our new stadium. And before you say that's what Sissoko was supposed to provide them all I can say again is that Barkley is a far superior footballer ( then again that isn't saying much as Sissoko is and always had been sh!te)

I think Poch will get Barkley at the right time if he joins now.

Is it fair to say that if Barkley comes he'll be backup to Eriksen and will be looking at a lot of bench time?

Is it fair to say that if Barkley comes he'll be backup to Eriksen and will be looking at a lot of bench time?

Not necessarily

Could easily see Erisken drop into midfield with wanyama against side that don't attack and someone else taking Eriskens place in attack

We drew some games last season against sides we should have battered and didn't need 2 holders

More Alli - i.e. the direct one who plays closest to the CF.

I think Eriksen's understudy will be more Lamela, who has similar vision and creativity

Not necessarily

Could easily see Erisken drop into midfield with wanyama against side that don't attack and someone else taking Eriskens place in attack

We drew some games last season against sides we should have battered and didn't need 2 holders

That's what Winks is for

No - they mainly came from driving play on the break. Not against tightly-packed deep-sitting defences like we encounter.

For me the similarities with Sissoko (in terms of basic skills set) 12 months ago are just too close
As is often the case, I can't help wonder whether you are judging players without actually watching them....

Sissoko has a terrible first touch and very little vision. Barkley has a very good touch and excellent vision. Barkley's problem currently is that he is a little ill disciplined in terms of where he takes chances on the ball and sometimes can be too confident and greedy. It isn't too hard to coach those things out of a player.

I also find it very strange that you advocate Grey as a potential signing despite the fact that he is a player who plays for a team who very much play on the break?

If so then fine.... if we have Barkley as one of our subs then that is a big step up from Sissoko IMO.

Yep - least season our bench was often dreadful with people like Sissoko, Onomah and GKN being our attacking options. Improving the quality of that with, for example, Barkley and a pacey attacker/forward on the bench is the priority for the window IMO

If so then fine.... if we have Barkley as one of our subs then that is a big step up from Sissoko IMO.
Even in today's market we're still talking a solid chunk of change for Barkley. A step up from Sissoko (though playing a different position) is a very low bar to set before spending that kind of money. A lot of very talented players with future potential that can be considered for that kind of money.

If Everton give in and accept a reasonable fee. And Barkley is happy signing for us on a reasonable wage looking to work hard and take this opportunity to improve under Pochettino. And Pochettino rates his potential and attitude. Then I say fair enough. But I don't quite get why he should be a first choice target for us at this point.

I don't understand why we are pursuing this deal when we already have Dele, Eriksen, Son and Lamela competing for two positions.

Listening to the everton fans this kid is very thick and doesn't sound like an improvement on any of them.

This seems to me to be classic Levy, hoping to get a precocious talent on the cheap as he has one year left and see if Poch can work his magic, which will then allow Levy to accept a mega bid for Eriksen or Dele next summer.

I know I'll get called a child again but this is how I genuinely see this transfer. It's the only explanation that makes sense here to me.

Very sad but signing this guy is just a prelude to selling Dele or Eriksen for massive money.

I don't understand why we are pursuing this deal when we already have Dele, Eriksen, Son and Lamela competing for two positions.

Listening to the everton fans this kid is very thick and doesn't sound like an improvement on any of them.

This seems to me to be classic Levy, hoping to get a precocious talent on the cheap as he has one year left and see if Poch can work his magic, which will then allow Levy to accept a mega bid for Eriksen or Dele next summer.

I know I'll get called a child again but this is how I genuinely see this transfer. It's the only explanation that makes sense here to me.

Very sad but signing this guy is just a prelude to selling Dele or Eriksen for massive money.

I'm beginning to think football isn't the sport for you...

Or that because Lamela has spent the bulk of two seasons (of his time here) in the treatment room leaving us short of creativity in the final third.

So is any back up signing from now on going to be considered as the first step towards selling a first team player?

Like how dropping 30m on Sissoko was obviously the first step towards replacing a current first team player and also similar to when we signed Son as well and he pushed a current first team player out who we then sold for big money - oh...

Last edited:

thick
θɪk/
adjective

informal
of low intelligence; stupid.
"he's a bit thick"

precocious

prɪˈkəʊʃəs/
adjective
  1. (of a child) having developed certain abilities or inclinations at an earlier age than is usual or expected.
    "a precocious, solitary boy"
    synonyms: advanced, old beyond one's years, forward, ahead of one's peers, mature, prematurely developed, ahead, gifted, talented, clever, intelligent, quick;
talent
ˈtalənt/
noun
  1. 1.
    natural aptitude or skill.
    "he possesses more talent than any other player"
    synonyms: flair, aptitude, facility, gift, knack, technique, touch, bent, ability, expertise, capacity, power, faculty;
Maybe seeing an opportunity to acquire such a "precocious talent" "on the cheap" is not such bad vision? Maybe Barkley is what Poch wants. Many people have called Walker stupid. Yet with the right coaching his game improved enormously, such that he is being spoken of as the best RB in the country (and yes, has been sold for a record fee). Maybe Poch can work magic on "thick" Barkley. Maybe it will be Barkley being sold on for a world record fee after a season or two under Poch's tutelage. Who knows. (Well, that might be stretching things...).

Statement of the obvious : there are a lot of games between August and end of the season. Lamela is still injured and out until October. Dele will miss our first 4 CL games. Son has a broken arm (although hopefully there's enough healing time for him to play in a light cast). Eriksen has played pretty much non-stop for the past two seasons, which is unlikely to be sustainable.

There's been plenty of noise about lack of decent options off the bench. There's been plenty of noise about us taking the domestic cups seriously from the beginning and winning one of them. Squad depth is needed to meet both of those scenarios. So Levy going after that, presumably a player identified by Poch, is a bad thing? There are opinions on this board reaching to both ends of the spectrum as to Barkley's potential, so we have to assume that, if he is a target, our management veers towards the positive end of that scale. Trust in Poch and all that.

There is no doubt that IF Dele or Eriksen ever leave (and I think it's generally accepted that both are likely to at some point) then Levy will extract the best possible fee for them. Huge for Eriksen. Mega-huge in respect of Dele. And IF that does happen, then it's far better to have understudies in place in advance (cf. Trippier). That doesn't mean in buying one player that we are actively planning to sell off our best (and in Dele's case, very highly marketable) players in return.

In addition to the above :

Hotspur Related‏@HotspurRelated 4h4 hours ago
#thfc want to sign Ross Barkley from Everton before they leave for their pre-season tour of the USA on Wednesday. [Daily Mirror]

Hotspur Related‏@HotspurRelated 4h4 hours ago
Replying to @HotspurRelated
#thfc are eager to sign Ross Barkley but are only willing to pay half his £50M valuation by Everton. [Daily Mirror]

£25m would be great value when you look at some of the prices going around this summer. I wonder if they are still interested in Sissoko.

Back