• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

My only concern about Barkley is that he would be yet another attacking player who doesn't have aabove-average pace (same with Kane, Janssen, Dele, Eriksen, Lamela)....feel that we need some variety and a pacey option

My only concern about Barkley is that he would be yet another attacking player who doesn't have aabove-average pace (same with Kane, Janssen, Dele, Eriksen, Lamela)....feel that we need some variety and a pacey option

To be fair though when we have brought those pacey players they have lacked something

Your looking at Mane or Keita

Their £70m now

Yes, but you need to get them before they've succeeded at a relatively big club. We have tried (Njie, GKN) but have failed. There were enough links with that Bruma chap to suggest that we might have a 3rd go at it

I think it's a massive culture shock to many players coming directly from South America and Africa to EPL and Europe offers a more sympathetic environment when they come over, I would prefer to sign players who have had some experience of Europe. I spoke to a writer who was an "expert" on South American football and he told me Paulihno was perfect for EPL.

Bruma's gone to Leipzig. And Gelson Martins is already a star - Sporting want 50m+ for him, iirc.

I didn't know about Bruma, wow Leipzig have pulled off another masterstroke signing. Whoever is their DoF is doing a grand job there with their signings over the past few years

The thing about Martins is that he would come in and fit with our wage structure. I think that matters more to Levy than the transfer fee itself. The reason we were priced out of Mane's move to Liverpool was his wages, not the transfer fee

Bruma may have gone to replace Keita

Leipzig have a great model for recruitment although the lad from forest isn't going to get as many games there so may regret that move over time

I was actually wondering if another move for Oliver Burke would be possible - we were interested in him last year (the lad said we even made a bid for him, iirc), and granted he hasn't had a great year, but that could be why he'd be more realistic than someone more high-profile.

I was actually wondering if another move for Oliver Burke would be possible - we were interested in him last year (the lad said we even made a bid for him, iirc), and granted he hasn't had a great year, but that could be why he'd be more realistic than someone more high-profile.

I was thinking the same.

I didn't know about Bruma, wow Leipzig have pulled off another masterstroke signing. Whoever is their DoF is doing a grand job there with their signings over the past few years

The thing about Martins is that he would come in and fit with our wage structure. I think that matters more to Levy than the transfer fee itself. The reason we were priced out of Mane's move to Liverpool was his wages, not the transfer fee

Their DoF is Ralf Rangnick - brilliant guy. He helped build Hoffenheim up from amateurs to an established Bundesliga club (albeit with considerable financing from Dietmar Hoppe, their wealthy owner), and started the careers of people like Julian Nagelsmann, among others. They're in good hands with him in charge, imo.

As for Martins, I agree - his wages would probably be just about within our reach, although he would likely still demand parity with our highest earners after a successful season and all the hype he's generated over the last year. But that then brings up the main problem with his signing - how would we justify it to him and the players already here? We pay 50m+ in terms of the transfer fee, pay him close to our highest earners, and then rotate him with Son and our other AMs, many of whom will likely earn *less* than he will.

This is the problem. A player that high-profile will want guaranteed game time, which we may not be able to offer - if we do offer it, we'll need to explain to Son and co. why they're still being rotated after such successful seasons.

I was thinking the same.

There are a few concerns I would have about his game as it stands, though. This excellent article from the Scotsman sums up why Burke's season has been a bit of a washout -

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...-at-rb-leipzig-enters-crucial-phase-1-4458910

..and it stresses that one of Leipzig's primary concerns about Burke was that he hadn't been coached properly, and really lacked the defensive drive or off-the-ball work that was key to Leipzig's counterattacking system. This would be a concern with us as well - although he definitely has time on his side, and all the raw tools to become another Bale if he so wishes. I think he's definitely worth another look, if not an actual bid - maybe he'll be more amenable to a move to us the second time around.

Back