• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Egging politicians is an important democratic freedom. Restricting something like that is a civil liberties infringement

It's happened several times in the past with eggs or flour.
Were you as outraged it when it happened to Thatcher?

I'm well aware of that. My point is what the difference in coverage would be if the "attacker" was of the left (doing the same thing but to Theresa May) now that the leader of the Labour Party is left-wing. We all know it would be used to attack Corbyn and you'd get the usual suspects clutching pearls over it.

I don't care about people throwing an egg at a politician. But I would suggest it's slightly different if the guy has got close to Corbyn and hit him on the head with his fist. The political climate is different now, there is real physical violence directed at Labour politicians from right-wing cranks, including a murder. The guy who ran over and killed someone outside a mosque said he wanted to kill Corbyn and Sadiq Khan.

Yet if you turn on the telly or read the news, apparently the big problem in the world are these violent lefties who are "bullying" politicians, hate the Jews etc. When the reality is that violence is coming from the "Free Tommy Robinson" crowd.

I'm well aware of that. My point is what the difference in coverage would be if the "attacker" was of the left (doing the same thing but to Theresa May) now that the leader of the Labour Party is left-wing. We all know it would be used to attack Corbyn and you'd get the usual suspects clutching pearls over it.

I don't care about people throwing an egg at a politician. But I would suggest it's slightly different if the guy has got close to Corbyn and hit him on the head with his fist. The political climate is different now, there is real physical violence directed at Labour politicians from right-wing cranks, including a murder. The guy who ran over and killed someone outside a mosque said he wanted to kill Corbyn and Sadiq Khan.

Yet if you turn on the telly or read the news, apparently the big problem in the world are these violent lefties who are "bullying" politicians, hate the Jews etc. When the reality is that violence is coming from the "Free Tommy Robinson" crowd.
The big difference being that the "Free Tommy Robinson" crowd don't have a political party representing them, as it's only a few fringe nutjobs.

The dangerous fringe on the left are represented in Parliament by Corbyn.

The big difference being that the "Free Tommy Robinson" crowd don't have a political party representing them, as it's only a few fringe nutjobs.

The dangerous fringe on the left are represented in Parliament by Corbyn.

It's a false equivalence, there isn't a dangerous fringe on the left apart from in the imagination of people like you, certainly not in the UK.

Maybe point me to the Tory politician killed by a violent left-wing nutter?

*edit -- and the "Free Tommy" crowd are well represented in Parliament by the ERG. Right-wing libertarian nutcases who have a lot of views that cross over with the "Free Tommies."

I'm not joking either -- consider that Rees Mogg has met with Steve Bannon (he of alt-right Trump fame) to discuss tactics. Rees Mogg is the ERG chairman.

And what did Steve Bannon say about Tommy Robinson? He said "guys like Tommy Robinson are the backbone of this country."

This lot are all in the same pot together.

The political climate is different now, there is real physical violence directed at Labour politicians from right-wing cranks, including a murder. The guy who ran over and killed someone outside a mosque said he wanted to kill Corbyn and Sadiq Khan.

The world's not really like that though. That's just 24 hour media cycle. Political assassinations etc. were much more common in the past.

IF, he punched him.
So bannon and Lord snooty meet bad.
Corbyn and terrorists who kill meet is OK.
I have sympathy with what you say and your causes to a point but this does no one any good.

IF, he punched him.
I have sympathy with what you say and your causes to a point but this does no one any good.

Whether it's bad/good or indifferent is a matter of opinion and we all have differing ones. But compare the coverage. One is covered, barely acknowledged and moved on with quickly (snooty/Bannon/Tommy Robinson). One (Corbyn meeting with terrorists) whips up hysteria and frenzy and is gone over again and again -- even in the context of Corbyn being, basically, a pacifist.

There aren't a dozen pages in the Mirror/Guardian dedicated to linking the Far-Right with the ERG and then joining that up with the ERG holding sway over the government. They give it a little coverage and then move on swiftly. How many pages did the Daily Mail dedicate to paint Corbyn as the most dangerous man in Britain at the last election? I think it was about the first 14 pages of the paper. Picked up by blowhards like Humphries on the Today Program, which then gets regurgitated everywhere else, the news cycle feeding itself. All in all, trying to have us believe that the extremists and violence is on the left, despite the facts saying it's on the right.

There has always been one rule for them and one rule for us. Had Corbyn been interviewed about the incident, the media would probably have demanded that he apologize to his attacker. It's all part of a carefeully orchestrated plan to stop Corbyn. Once they have elected a nice safe sell out red Tory leader, all these attacks on Labour will magically stop.

I'm not joking either -- consider that Rees Mogg has met with Steve Bannon (he of alt-right Trump fame) to discuss tactics. Rees Mogg is the ERG chairman.

And what did Steve Bannon say about Tommy Robinson? He said "guys like Tommy Robinson are the backbone of this country."

This lot are all in the same pot together.

No, no, no dza, clearly Jeremy Corbyn has serious questions to answer over these alleged Rees- Mogg Bannon links.

IF, he punched him.

What by referring to media double standards... what on earth are you talking about? BTW, you don't seem to have a problem with Tories associating with terrorists it seems eg Netanyahu, the leadership of Saudi Arabia. Hmm very selective when comes to your personal morality?

Whether it's bad/good or indifferent is a matter of opinion and we all have differing ones. But compare the coverage. One is covered, barely acknowledged and moved on with quickly (snooty/Bannon/Tommy Robinson). One (Corbyn meeting with terrorists) whips up hysteria and frenzy and is gone over again and again -- even in the context of Corbyn being, basically, a pacifist.

There aren't a dozen pages in the Mirror/Guardian dedicated to linking the Far-Right with the ERG and then joining that up with the ERG holding sway over the government. They give it a little coverage and then move on swiftly. How many pages did the Daily Mail dedicate to paint Corbyn as the most dangerous man in Britain at the last election? I think it was about the first 14 pages of the paper. Picked up by blowhards like Humphries on the Today Program, which then gets regurgitated everywhere else, the news cycle feeding itself. All in all, trying to have us believe that the extremists and violence is on the left, despite the facts saying it's on the right.

Double Think rules. Orwell was right... there is no hope for the proles.

A question for @Grays_1890 if no one seems able to outline the positives of Brexit, if most reasonable models see people and government worse off financially, with immigration from Asia replacing EU migration, do you question the value of Brexit?

I often often question it of course but I am a firm believer that down the road this will be the best outcome for the UK.

Like I said I think in an original thread, its short term pain for long term gain

Back