• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur vs Saudi Sportswashing ***

It was. Straight ball and in. Thats not good enough at Prem level.

As in transfer thread. I have concerns about system and players. Do we have the quality and intelligence to play the system/style Ange wants.
if we don’t then it’s Ange that has to adapt to the players he has.

For all thats been said about the players it`s the managers problem at the end of the day. If we play these tactics every game without the defence being disciplined to hold their positions we will get hit on the break over and over again. Any team watching that game today know if they stay disciplined in defence they will get a chance to counter us when the whole team are high up the pitch and we lose the ball. And Romero charging out like a mad man wtf? Our defence are always caught badly out of position when we lose the ball in attack. But these recurring tactics are down to the manager. I desperately hope I am wrong but our transfer business this year is 50-50 if you ask me.I like the look of Gray and Bergvall but Solanke for £65 mil? And Oderbert looks no better than we had already. Werner? What does he offer. We just seem content to pay big money for average players over and over again. I know strikers command a premium but £65 mil for Solanke? Does anyone on here think he will score more goals than Son this season? It may be more exciting than it was under Conte and Mourhino but at the end of the day the manager will be judged by results. This calender year we have taken 40 points from a possible 75 since the first of january

Two attacking players moving into space
But quick, direct movement from midfield to get the ball there
The way we cross is designed to hit the striker
No striker… means no target
As I argued with someone else
Kulu as a CF is an option if you have attackers in midfield
We had nothing in midfield first half
Second half we moved him which meant we had a warm body at CF but no presence
Their CBs atw up everything centrally because they had no need to mark anyone
If that's by design, it's a bad design and should be scrapped. But I must say that I don't think it is, it looks more like it's reactive and luck based. I'm not saying that successful crosses don't need luck, but if it's integral in an attacking playbook you should try to increase the success rate by setting up some plays suited to the players at hand. That requires smart movement into or creating space, not just sprinting and hoping to be first on the ball. It also helps to have attackers with aerial strength. I cannot see we have either. That said, our movement up front has been poor for ages except for a couple of seasons under Poch. I also feel a deja vu back to when Kane decided to become a striker-leftwing-midfielder-playmaker, we suddenly had no target because the rest of our movement up front is so poor.

As in transfer thread. I have concerns about system and players. Do we have the quality and intelligence to play the system/style Ange wants.
It’s a concentration thing IMO

Romero, when we’re not dominant, is always switched on. He did it today. Tackles, blocked and marked his man

When we’re cruising he switches off

That’s in his head and IMO he is likely thinking about how he can contribute attack wise rather than what he needs to do defensively at that time

Well you do only post after a bad result mate

True, but doesn't really change much. Used to post here all the time once - been here since January 2012, have 12,000 posts on this place after all.

All that really changes when you post a lot versus when you don't post much, is that people go from calling you obsessed to calling you someone who only pops in when advantageous. Either way, I'm used to it mate. ;)

We can all get heated at times but I don't recall anyone new being abusive and using the language in this case

True. Not defending the language used, and least of all the language used to @Bedfordspurs , who is one of the most level-headed and decent folks on here. Just saying, kid isn't alone in attacking others - I can attest to others on here doing the same, just with different language.

If that's by design, it's a bad design and should be scrapped. But I must say that I don't think it is, it looks more like it's reactive and luck based. I'm not saying that successful crosses don't need luck, but if it's integral in an attacking playbook you should try to increase the success rate by setting up some plays suited to the players at hand. That requires smart movement into or creating space, not just sprinting and hoping to be first on the ball. It also helps to have attackers with aerial strength. I cannot see we have either. That said, our movement up front has been poor for ages except for a couple of seasons under Poch. I also feel a deja vu back to when Kane decided to become a striker-leftwing-midfielder-playmaker, we suddenly had no target up front because our movement up front is so poor.
Well we have started 2 of the 3 games so far without a CF and that will make a difference in theory

Richy, when fit, does attack crosses. Issue is he is rarely fit

I believe we will see a big difference with solanke. No coincidence that against Lestah we did play more around the 6 yard line, where as today it was more on the edge of their area

It’s a concentration thing IMO

Romero, when we’re not dominant, is always switched on. He did it today. Tackles, blocked and marked his man

When we’re cruising he switches off

That’s in his head and IMO he is likely thinking about how he can contribute attack wise rather than what he needs to do defensively at that time
So does he have the game intelligence required to play the system. As it requires both to attack and be switched on in defence.

Same goes for all our players. We need to defend better from the front our press can be disjointed.

I know I’ve been negative of late. I just want to see us win games and trophy’s. So apologies as it’s tiring.

Just there’s stuff that needs to be corrected.

True, but doesn't really change much. Used to post here all the time once - been here since January 2012, have 12,000 posts on this place after all.

All that really changes when you post a lot versus when you don't post much, is that people go from calling you obsessed to calling you someone who only pops in when advantageous. Either way, I'm used to it mate. ;)

True. Not defending the language used, and least of all the language used to @Bedfordspurs , who is one of the most level-headed and decent folks on here. Just saying, kid isn't alone in attacking others - I can attest to others on here doing the same, just with different language.
It is odd though, just IMO, to sign up as DepressedBloke as your name. I’d offer to talk to the guy but he clearly doesn’t share my opinions and I wouldn’t want to cause more negativity

I don’t like singling anyone out for anything. I’m far from perfect… like our team.

We all have different views and thoughts, foibles and views that we will staunchly defend.

I cannot see son ever playing well as a CF against a low block side. Said it constantly and today reassured me that I’m right. I thought he was playing well on the left though. I do however think against arsenal if we don’t have a CF back, son is a viable option, because of how they play.

We didn’t lose today because of Sonny playing CF.

I’m also confident we will click if Ange gets the time. I think he will get it too
The alternative is reactionary and that is not how the club appear to be structured now

So does he have the game intelligence required to play the system. As it requires both to attack and be switched on in defence.

Same goes for all our players. We need to defend better from the front our press can be disjointed.

I know I’ve been negative of late. I just want to see us win games and trophy’s. So apologies as it’s tiring.

Just there’s stuff that needs to be corrected.
Not sure TBH
Hard to tell
We have seen him be outstanding against better sides than we have played so far
We have also seen him be stupid
I actually think playing Drago and VDV js better defensively but you then lose his passing. And it also gives ammunition to him leaving at some point.
I think to score more we have to use the ball quicker. To concede less, we can’t switch off when on top
How Romero fits in we will see
And hey, I could be completely wrong

Not sure TBH
Hard to tell
We have seen him be outstanding against better sides than we have played so far
We have also seen him be stupid
I actually think playing Drago and VDV js better defensively but you then lose his passing. And it also gives ammunition to him leaving at some point.
I think to score more we have to use the ball quicker. To concede less, we can’t switch off when on top
How Romero fits in we will see
And hey, I could be completely wrong
All fair . Think he will go either way in the summer. We’ve seen what happens time again when Real come calling.

For all thats been said about the players it`s the managers problem at the end of the day. If we play these tactics every game without the defence being disciplined to hold their positions we will get hit on the break over and over again. Any team watching that game today know if they stay disciplined in defence they will get a chance to counter us when the whole team are high up the pitch and we lose the ball. And Romero charging out like a mad man wtf? Our defence are always caught badly out of position when we lose the ball in attack. But these recurring tactics are down to the manager. I desperately hope I am wrong but our transfer business this year is 50-50 if you ask me.I like the look of Gray and Bergvall but Solanke for £65 mil? And Oderbert looks no better than we had already. Werner? What does he offer. We just seem content to pay big money for average players over and over again. I know strikers command a premium but £65 mil for Solanke? Does anyone on here think he will score more goals than Son this season? It may be more exciting than it was under Conte and Mourhino but at the end of the day the manager will be judged by results. This calender year we have taken 40 points from a possible 75 since the first of january
I didn’t enjoy Jose’s reign or the end of Conte’s reign but I always believed it was fanciful to believe that Ange would be much more successful, particularly in silverware terms, than those two. I stand by that. In fairness, Poch did come mightily close as a relative novice, but I can’t see Ange hitting those heights.

Par for us is 4th - 7th. Ange will achieve that IMO which is a job reasonably well done.

It is odd though, just IMO, to sign up as DepressedBloke as your name. I’d offer to talk to the guy but he clearly doesn’t share my opinions and I wouldn’t want to cause more negativity

I don’t like singling anyone out for anything. I’m far from perfect… like our team.

We all have different views and thoughts, foibles and views that we will staunchly defend.

I cannot see son ever playing well as a CF against a low block side. Said it constantly and today reassured me that I’m right. I thought he was playing well on the left though. I do however think against arsenal if we don’t have a CF back, son is a viable option, because of how they play.

We didn’t lose today because of Sonny playing CF.

I’m also confident we will click if Ange gets the time. I think he will get it too
The alternative is reactionary and that is not how the club appear to be structured now

Re: DepressedBloke, if he actually is depressed, I know where he's coming from. Been through it myself, and this club is not a good one to follow if you're looking for an escape from a dark place. Most of the time it just makes you more hurt/angry/frustrated, not less.

But that's why folks here can sometimes be so great - in many of my darkest moments, talking to and joking with folks here was what helped me come to terms with another miserable weekend, another trophy lost or a hope gone up in smoke. I hope this kid sees this place as a support that way.

On Sonny, I agree. I think he said it himself - he struggles when up against big center-halves who can bully him out of games, and prefers operating off the left where he can make things happen.

Not his fault he's being put into that role, and hopefully with Solanke back we can lessen the instances of him having to fill in there.

Re: Arse, Solanke might still be the better call because I can see them putting us under pressure and us needing an out-ball - Solanke can hold it up a lot better than Sonny can.

All fair . Think he will go either way in the summer. We’ve seen what happens time again when Real come calling.
They won’t want to buy him though
Their deals now all seem to be money for kids and then freebies
They are loaded too even after the stadium

I’ve been on here over a decade and (thankfully) can’t recall anyone else using the term paedo as an insult, or suggesting that a poster ‘go suck [their] mum.’ Pathetic, childish and completely uncalled for.

Re: DepressedBloke, if he actually is depressed, I know where he's coming from. Been through it myself, and this club is not a good one to follow if you're looking for an escape from a dark place. Most of the time it just makes you more hurt/angry/frustrated, not less.

But that's why folks here can sometimes be so great - in many of my darkest moments, talking to and joking with folks here was what helped me come to terms with another miserable weekend, another trophy lost or a hope gone up in smoke. I hope this kid sees this place as a support that way.

On Sonny, I agree. I think he said it himself - he struggles when up against big center-halves who can bully him out of games, and prefers operating off the left where he can make things happen.

Not his fault he's being put into that role, and hopefully with Solanke back we can lessen the instances of him having to fill in there.

Re: Arse, Solanke might still be the better call because I can see them putting us under pressure and us needing an out-ball - Solanke can hold it up a lot better than Sonny can.
Rice is a huge void for them to fill
and it’s at home
Time for big dom to get his home debut goal
But I was saying if we have no CFs fit
I’m gutted Lankshear is injured as although I doubt Ange would play him he has everything we have been missing IMO.

I'm not a fan of fullbacks bombing on.
I didn't like it when Poch expected Rose and Walker to be furthest forward, crossing from the byline and ALSO be able to get back and defend.
I don't like that Udogie and Porro are getting in the way, standing on the edge of the box and passing 5 yards to others which just slows down our attacks with useless passing options.

Porro is actually good at getting involved, but we shouldn't need him that high up.

Would rather see Udogie and Biss holding midfield with Porro, then let the actual attackers do the attacking.

I think there's fact and reality. The facts are we lack the elite elite we need to deploy this system instantaneously. The reality is we are budgeted for youth and building based in highly promising young talent. Even when we spent big money on Solanke this summer, a friend pointed out (fairly I thought) that the wages for said player were similar to those for an average CF. Budget these days also has to include wages, and wages if pushed push the entiure club ceiling, so I understand the reluctance in one sense, but in the other, we will not really push on instantly unless that policy changes. We've decided to go with development of promise, and I think it'll be fun and furious. Probably really important I keep remembering that, because otherwise, the frustration of days like today and Leicester will only grow.

For all the complaints about defending, if we had elite quality in the final third, we'd be doing fantastically well. I think Ange has overall got us in a great place, but the finite tools are lacking. BTW, I still think there's a curious thing going on with Maddison; at times quakity, but how often did he slow it all down with extra touches/not being instinctive to his talents? Anyway, onwards...

Back