• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur vs Saudi Sportswashing ***

There is nativity. Especially the first goal. We have to work on being aware and looking at the dangers when there’s a quick throw in. Castle were always ready with two banks of players between us and the goal. We give a free shot on goal from 5 yards out.

We have a young side. Away from home we are not strong enough.

Positives were the one touch passes. The speed of attacks.

Now we have to improve in both boxes. Not much more to be said.
But are we actually working on that?

The one from Johnson in added time didn't find anyone, but it was indeed a great cross, but for some unknown reason, Son stopped his run and stood waiting on the penalty spot! There was no way Johnson could get it there! The only place he could deliver was across the box! If son had continued, as he should, he'd have a tap in at the back post.
Absolutely right. It isn’t always possible to get the head up and get a good picture of what’s in the box. To put the ball in “the corridor of doubt” between the goalkeeper and defender is the right choice and you expect your CF and opposite winger to be making and effort to get there. It was a super ball from Johnson. Son and Odobert left him down on two occasions today.

As a defender, it’s a fudging nightmare to defend those balls.

Just seen the highlights and have to say that playing such a high line, virtually right on half-way, makes no sense at all if we lack the pace to overtake speedy opponents. Bringing the centre backs back 10 yards would make a huge difference, and would it really impact our attack?
Apparently it's not an option as it would betray our 'philosophy'.

But are we actually working on that?

You’re intimating we aren’t? But of course we are. Is there inherent naivety in this team? And does that come from Ange? Idk. It is possible. There are no points for chivalry. We could have complained to the ref and had a player sent off. But better - Ange wants us to win it with our football.

1-1 and dominating. We didn’t get the second goal. That is the greatest issue.

Absolutely right. It isn’t always possible to get the head up and get a good picture of what’s in the box. To put the ball in “the corridor of doubt” between the goalkeeper and defender is the right choice and you expect your CF and opposite winger to be making and effort to get there. It was a super ball from Johnson. Son and Odobert left him down on two occasions today.

As a defender, it’s a fudging nightmare to defend those balls.

That moment when Sonny stopped his run and parked on the penalty spot was infuriating - more so that he screamed at Johnson after that.

Johnson had no human way to get the ball to him there - three players between him and Son, the only option he had was to flash it across goal, and he duly did that.

That was on Sonny for not continuing his run. And to be fair to Johnson, whom I have criticised on occasion, he was dangerous throughout. Skied that shot he had, but otherwise a menace that Odobert on the other wing couldn't match in the second half.

Just seen the highlights and have to say that playing such a high line, virtually right on half-way, makes no sense at all if we lack the pace to overtake speedy opponents. Bringing the centre backs back 10 yards would make a huge difference, and would it really impact our attack?
When all the play is around their 16m line, dropping the defenders deeper doesn't make sense at all, as that just leaves a HUGE space in the middle.

You don't even understand what I am saying.

You can't even type properly.

You didn't even watch when Son was clean through as the last man and Odobert refused to play him in.

We were much better in the second half in part because Son did a better job stretching the back line of Saudi Sportswashing Machine than Kulusevski as a striker. It isn't even a debate.
You crack on fella
Maybe we should play son CF every week and watch Ange get sacked
It clear you don’t understand the tactical change that made us better but lots don’t.
Odobert took bricks when he should have passed several times today
Kulu made mistakes too coming inside when a ball wide would have worked
Son ran backwards to leave their CBS but they stood still meaning they could just defend… which they did
Lots of issues but none were about us stretching them. They didn’t move because they played a low block, like last year. Rigid and fixed and you need a Cf ti engage with them rather than back off
As soon as we made the change to son Cf we lost all physical presence in attack
The key change as I’ve highlighted was adding Kuluninto midfield. That worked but his choices should have been better

It's sustainable-ish, imo. Depends on what you want mate.

Is it good enough to get us competing for roughly 4th-6th place? Yes, absolutely. We will win more games than we lose with this system, provided we have a decent striker and pacy center back(s).

Is it sustainable enough to have us challenging for more than that? Probably not, because ultimately, as you say, it relies on us outscoring the opposition because a few high-xg chances are always going to fall their way every game. And that has its limits, and is why defense-first approaches /possession-based approaches tend to win leagues and trophies, because minimizing risk wins titles - maximising opportunity, usually does not.

I have finally accepted that this is where we will remain as long as we are run the way we are - 4th to 6th place. So I'm pretty content with the system. But, others may disagree and they have a full right to.
I think this is absolutely key (and I agree). Even with Van de Ven, Solanke, and Richarlison out, if we had spent the money on Eze then today is different. Instead, we're reliant on potential in Odobert to learn fast on the job; he's raw and needs development, yet here we are, with him and Werner as main options for a key area of a Postecoglu side. Equally, Eze would push Maddison. I am not sure Johnson could've done much more supply-wise, albeit he did miss a great chance he created. But again, I think you're right and as such it's an easier ride if accepted.

We had fit strikers for the Leicester game and we didn’t win that.

Our system and tactical inflexibility are the issues when playing at PL level imo.
Have to agree . Saudi Sportswashing Machine could have scored same goal as 2nd 20 earlier. One straight ball and they were in. Did not think they were great. Overall it was a game that lacked real quality from both sets of players. Both sides equally guilty of being sloppy at times . Saudi Sportswashing Machine more so.

We lack movement at times to hurt teams and pace of anttacks , our tempo is slow for large periods.

I don’t really get it. You want to be a possession based side. But then there’s not enough movement from your forwards at times. Using your full backs as runners into box hurts in the transition to defence when turn over the ball. You want to get your wingers in behind their full back but are slow to move the ball.

We may be better suited and looked dangerous at times on the counter rather than the slower build up.

I think we are a bit in limbo between the two. It’s fine margins really.

And high line without VDV is not great without him mopping up.

You are the one that has a problem with me saying Son played better than Kulusevski as a striker.
I have no problem with your opinions. What I do have a problem with, is your attitude and language towards others on the forum.
We usually respect each other in here, and refrain from using derogatory language when addressing others.

To put it in such words, you behave like a 13 year old prick.

Where did I say that? I have no problem with your opinions. What I do have a problem with, is your attitude and language towards others on the forum.
We usually respect each other in here, and refrain from using derogatory language when addressing others.

To put it in such words, you behave like a 13 year old prick.

Back