• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur vs Saudi Sportswashing ***

Agreed, but we know he's never going to change, so there's no point getting steamed over it mate.

He lives and dies by his one singular tactic - to be fair, quite a few modern managers do. But with Postecoglou it's especially pronounced.

And in this game, it worked...okay in general. Again, we didn't play badly, just lacked a cutting edge up front and pace at the back.

And the thing about dropping off is, that then affects how high you press, which is pretty central to the attacking part of our play, and indeed also defensively to an extent - high pressures prevent the opponent attacking us so much.
This is exactly right. You’ve got to push high to keep them under the pressure we did and it was really good and a really good watch until they got back in front. This is the price of the ticket for attacking football really.

There is no perfect system that allows you to dominate teams and be very solid at the back.

I enjoyed watching us today but I don’t see us finishing anywhere other than 5th or 6th.

Yes he did actually. He occupied space that the defenders didn't have to worry about with Kulu.

We were a lot closer to their goal in the second half than the first half.
fudge about
Son as CF offers nothing against low blocks
It was clear today
He had nothing to do with the gaol which was all on Brennan
It would be like saying Romero had something to so with it because he was in the pitch

The positives were how quickly we moved the ball. Sides like castle can live with it for a half, but then tire and the yellows stack up.

But if we defended with half of the awareness of Saudi Sportswashing Machine we wouldn’t ship goals. They defended well whilst we gave away goals.
Regarding Saudi Sportswashing Machine’s defending it did look like they were organised.

However at the same time I also saw them give away a load of easy chances, constantly lose the ball and fail to deal with our press. During that period I wasn’t thinking how well they were defending. Our poor finishing let us down

Ange has to realise hes in the big league now. You can play like this when the opposition is always abysmal and you ( Celtic) are miles ahead if the rest. Even bad PL teams will attack you and figure out we are easy to score against on the break.
Son again was way off. Nobody racing into the box. Thats just poor coaching.

Romero was at fault for both goals; elsewise he was great, but 2 big errors when he was 20 yards out of position! With VdV out, Romero should have been more sensible and stayed in position.

Udogie was a big problem today, he was given the ball in great areas but is a defender, so he just shuffles it 5 yards like a hot potato. There is no point in him joining attacks if that is all he will contribute, he should just stay in defence and do his job.

Deki did great work, fighting his way up the pitch, releasing Johnson into space, our best play apart from the Man of the Match, Dragusin. Epic from him.

Yet again, we need to use our subs earlier to get fresh legs on the pitch. Maddison et al were knackered, Madders is easily turned and Saudi Sportswashing Machine are straight in on our back line. Postecoglu should have got Bentancur and Gray and Werner and Johnson and any 1 other player onto the field much earlier.

A tired player is not good, get him off the pitch.

I don't think it's about playing a high line or not.

Without VDV we can't have Romero stepping out leaving a huge gap at the back. Just hold the line with Dragusin.

Just seems like a lack of communication at the back.

It's part of the system - wasn't just Romero, there were times Dragusin was trying to win the ball back on the edge of their box.

System encourages a center back to get up into midfield/attack to overload the opponent and also win the ball high up.

In the case of the goal we conceded, it's just unfortunate that the perfect ball found the perfect man to outpace Dragusin + a tiring Udogie. Beautiful assist by Joelinton.

This is exactly right. You’ve got to push high to keep them under the pressure we did and it was really good and a really good watch until they got back in front. This is the price of the ticket for attacking football really.

There is no perfect system that allows you to dominate teams and be very solid at the back.

I enjoyed watching us today but I don’t see us finishing anywhere other than 5th or 6th.

Well put mate. All about tradeoffs, and I do see what Postecoglou is trying to do with his system.

I just think, like you, that it has a ceiling - maybe it wouldn't if we could do a City and have the best players in the world to play in it, but we'll never do that so we'll always be limited in how much we can truly minimise vulnerabilities in this system with the players we can afford.

I've accepted it, which is why it's easier for me to see days like today as just unfortunate and down to injuries/circumstances. Fully understand why others might be upset though.

Key is, we didn't play badly. Play like that with a striker and a pacy center-back, and we win more than we lose.

Didn’t watch the game but it seems we were a striker a way from winning comfortably. You can’t blame management for injuries.

fudge about
Son as CF offers nothing against low blocks
It was clear today
He had nothing to do with the gaol which was all on Brennan
It would be like saying Romero had something to so with it because he was in the pitch
No it isn't. You are just slandering, projecting, neglecting, and using a strawman argument.

If Johnson is playing on the right and Kulusevski is up front, the defensive line of Saudi Sportswashing Machine is not playing as deep or as worried about Kulu scoring so much.

Son took up positions in the box that Johnson couldn't find but he still pushed the Saudi Sportswashing Machine back line deeper than Kulusevski.

Regarding Saudi Sportswashing Machine’s defending it did look like they were organised.

However at the same time I also saw them give away a load of easy chances, constantly lose the ball and fail to deal with our press. During that period I wasn’t thinking how well they were defending. Our poor finishing let us down

They didn't defend well, really. They were like us under Mourinho, camped out in the box and hoping for breakaways.

They offered up lots of half chances that we couldn't finish, but the one thing that made it easier for them was that we had no one who attacked the box.

No one for them to worry about getting on the end of crosses, either aerially or along the ground.

That makes it easier for a defender. But that's only a temporary issue, and hopefully when Solanke comes back that's something we can address.

This loss was due to injuries. Nothing really wrong with the approach, just the personnel.

The number of dangerous crosses flashed across goal, a striker would have gotten on the end of at least one of those. But, Solanke, Richarlison, even Lankshear, all out, Kulusevski shows that he isn't a centre forward outside of a pre-season friendly or two, Son isn't one against low blocks - and so all those chances go begging.

At the back, that one breakaway that sealed our fate - Van de Ven catches Ramsey there. They just waited for us to get a little too high up, and then hit us where Dragusin didn't have the pace to recover and Romero stopped running.

The system needs a striker. The system needs a pacy center-back. When they are both out, this happens.

Of course, the club decided we didn't need backup for Van de Ven, so this will keep happening whenever he's out - thought that was a dereliction of duty, still do. But up front, we've just been unlucky.

One to write off and move on. We didn't play badly, Saudi Sportswashing Machine didn't play well, we just lacked key personnel and the system cannot function without them.
Agreed re striker, but even with Solanke or Richy fit, we would need for them to score at least 2 to draw and 3 to win. Not sure that's sustainable.

No it isn't. You are just slandering, projecting, neglecting, and using a strawman argument.

If Johnson is playing on the right and Kulusevski is up front, the defensive line of Saudi Sportswashing Machine is not playing as deep or as worried about Kulu scoring so much.

Son took up positions in the box that Johnson couldn't find but he still pushed the Saudi Sportswashing Machine back line deeper than Kulusevski.
gonads
Did you see son retreat when Johnson run in late on
Son doesn’t engage the CB… he retreats
Never has done it against low blocks

Didn’t watch the game but it seems we were a striker a way from winning comfortably. You can’t blame management for injuries.
Kinda
A striker would offer more than what we had there
But Romero going wandering is a recurring issue now

The good old 'I don't care about results, just want to see us play decent football' was never going to last was it:D....
Yeah…lots of fans were crying out for attacking football under Jose/Conte. This is it. Attacking football leaves you vulnerable. I think some fans believe “attack is the best form of defence” means it’s possible to be solid when you play very offensive football. It doesn’t, it means you’ll pin teams back but you’re ultra vulnerable on the break.

To be fair, peak Poch had a pretty good balance. I think Ange has the balance wrong but it’s a much better watch than Jose/Conte and if he reigns in the attacking, we won’t dominate teams as much as we’ve done at times in the opening 3 games. And in all those games, we’ve battered the opposition for sustained periods.

Last edited:
It's part of the system - wasn't just Romero, there were times Dragusin was trying to win the ball back on the edge of their box.

System encourages a center back to get up into midfield/attack to overload the opponent and also win the ball high up.

In the case of the goal we conceded, it's just unfortunate that the perfect ball found the perfect man to outpace Dragusin + a tiring Udogie. Beautiful assist by Joelinton.

Well put mate. All about tradeoffs, and I do see what Postecoglou is trying to do with his system.

I just think, like you, that it has a ceiling - maybe it wouldn't if we could do a City and have the best players in the world to play in it, but we'll never do that so we'll always be limited in how much we can truly minimise vulnerabilities in this system with the players we can afford.

I've accepted it, which is why it's easier for me to see days like today as just unfortunate and down to injuries/circumstances. Fully understand why others might be upset though.

Key is, we didn't play badly. Play like that with a striker and a pacy center-back, and we win more than we lose.
Dragusiin is chasing because Romero steps up
Misses the pass and then jogs
Such weak effort

Agreed re striker, but even with Solanke or Richy fit, we would need for them to score at least 2 to draw and 3 to win. Not sure that's sustainable.

It's sustainable-ish, imo. Depends on what you want mate.

Is it good enough to get us competing for roughly 4th-6th place? Yes, absolutely. We will win more games than we lose with this system, provided we have a decent striker and pacy center back(s).

Is it sustainable enough to have us challenging for more than that? Probably not, because ultimately, as you say, it relies on us outscoring the opposition because a few high-xg chances are always going to fall their way every game. And that has its limits, and is why defense-first approaches /possession-based approaches tend to win leagues and trophies, because minimizing risk wins titles - maximising opportunity, usually does not.

I have finally accepted that this is where we will remain as long as we are run the way we are - 4th to 6th place. So I'm pretty content with the system. But, others may disagree and they have a full right to.

Romero was at fault for both goals; elsewise he was great, but 2 big errors when he was 20 yards out of position! With VdV out, Romero should have been more sensible and stayed in position.

Udogie was a big problem today, he was given the ball in great areas but is a defender, so he just shuffles it 5 yards like a hot potato. There is no point in him joining attacks if that is all he will contribute, he should just stay in defence and do his job.

Deki did great work, fighting his way up the pitch, releasing Johnson into space, our best play apart from the Man of the Match, Dragusin. Epic from him.

Yet again, we need to use our subs earlier to get fresh legs on the pitch. Maddison et al were knackered, Madders is easily turned and Saudi Sportswashing Machine are straight in on our back line. Postecoglu should have got Bentancur and Gray and Werner and Johnson and any 1 other player onto the field much earlier.

A tired player is not good, get him off the pitch.

That's a problem with Romero. He has good games and bad, but he isn't that leader at the back that you can depend on.

Dragusiin is chasing because Romero steps up
Misses the pass and then jogs
Such weak effort

Yeah, that was a little jarring to see. I'm hoping it's just tiredness, because otherwise it is not a great look for a player who's supposed to be a senior leader in the squad. Drag chased back, Romero looked like he was way behind.

Back