• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

****OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs LAZIO**********

I was wondering how Tottenham Hotspur's most experienced 11 players in European competitions might line-up.

The biggest problem was having two left backs, so I switched Chris Hughton over to the right.

The 11 together amassed 386 games for Spurs in UEFA competitions (games played in brackets)...

Pat Jennings (37)

Chris Hughton (31) - Mike England (35) - Michael Dawson (29) - Cyril Knowles (30)

Steve Perryman (64) - Phil Beal (30)

Aaron Lennon (37) - Tom Huddlestone (30) - Martin Peters (32)

Martin Chivers (32)

...that's actually a pretty good starting XI.

Last edited:
Bale (23), Assou-Ekotto (23) and Defoe (22) might all take a place in that team this year if things go our way

I was wondering how Tottenham Hotspur's most experienced 11 players in European competitions might line-up.

The biggest problem was having two left backs, so I switched Chris Hughton over to the right.

The 11 together amassed 386 games for Spurs in UEFA competitions (games played in brackets)...

Pat Jennings (37)

Chris Hughton (31) - Mike England (35) - Michael Dawson (29) - Cyril Knowles (30)

Steve Perryman (64) - Phil Beal (30)

Aaron Lennon (37) - Tom Huddlestone (30) - Martin Peters (32)

Martin Chivers (32)

...that's actually a pretty good starting XI.

Interesting to see Dawson in that esteemed starting XI. Doesnt mean he is better than King, but does show what a great servant he has been to the club - and how rated he was by several managers. I dont recall hm really letting us down in Europe either. He should be in for this one - especially as the duel with Klose is likely to be more aerial than pace.

Same goes for Thudd. He will get more time on the ball in European games and should also start imo

Last edited:
A FEW FACTS ON...SS LAZIO

A0550_zps34486a42.jpg

Tonight's Europa League, Group J opener is the first competitive meeting between ourselves and Lazio.

Here are a few more facts about the Italian giants...

- Lazio were formed in 1900.

- They are nicknamed the 'Biancocelesti' - 'The White and Sky Blues'.

- Lazio play in the Olympic Stadium, Rome.

- They qualified for the Europa League by finishing fourth in Serie A in 2011-12 and then beating MD Mura 5-1 on aggregate in the play-offs, winning 2-0 away and 3-1 at home.

- Lazio are currently joint-top of Serie A with Juventus and Napoli after winning their first three matches this season.

- The last of those matches was a 3-1 win at Chievo with Brazilian midfielder Hernanes (2) and legendary German striker Miroslav Klose on target.

- We are unbeaten at home against Italian opposition in European competition. We beat AC Milan over two legs to reach the final of the UEFA Cup in 1972 and then toppled the same team 1-0 on aggregate to reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League in 2010-11.

- This is the fifth time we've played in the group stages of the UEFA Cup/Europa League. Last season was the first time we've failed to progress past the group stages.

- Younes Kaboul and Michael Ciani were team-mates at Auxerre from 2004-07.

- Hugo Lloris and Ederson were team-mates at Nice between 2005-08.

- Carlo Cudicini made one appearance for Lazio in 1996-97, but unfortunately picked up a serious knee injury in that game.

- Lazio's coach Vladimir Petkovic is a familiar face on the sidelines - he was coach of Young Boys, Switzerland when we met them in the Champions League play-offs in 2010-11. He guided his team to a 3-2 win against us in Bern before we hit back 4-0 at the Lane to progress.

- Of course, there is one famous connection between the teams - Paul Gascoigne. The midfielder joined Lazio after his serious knee injury in 1992. Lazio's general manager Maurizio Manzini said: "There is always a corner of Tottenham in our hearts. He is a mythical figure for Lazio fans and very popular in Italy."

A FEW FACTS ON...SS LAZIO

A0550_zps34486a42.jpg

Tonight's Europa League, Group J opener is the first competitive meeting between ourselves and Lazio.

Here are a few more facts about the Italian giants...

- Lazio were formed in 1900.

- They are nicknamed the 'Biancocelesti' - 'The White and Sky Blues'.

- Lazio play in the Olympic Stadium, Rome.

- They qualified for the Europa League by finishing fourth in Serie A in 2011-12 and then beating MD Mura 5-1 on aggregate in the play-offs, winning 2-0 away and 3-1 at home.

- Lazio are currently joint-top of Serie A with Juventus and Napoli after winning their first three matches this season.

- The last of those matches was a 3-1 win at Chievo with Brazilian midfielder Hernanes (2) and legendary German striker Miroslav Klose on target.

- We are unbeaten at home against Italian opposition in European competition. We beat AC Milan over two legs to reach the final of the UEFA Cup in 1972 and then toppled the same team 1-0 on aggregate to reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League in 2010-11.

- This is the fifth time we've played in the group stages of the UEFA Cup/Europa League. Last season was the first time we've failed to progress past the group stages.

- Younes Kaboul and Michael Ciani were team-mates at Auxerre from 2004-07.

- Hugo Lloris and Ederson were team-mates at Nice between 2005-08.

- Carlo Cudicini made one appearance for Lazio in 1996-97, but unfortunately picked up a serious knee injury in that game.

- Lazio's coach Vladimir Petkovic is a familiar face on the sidelines - he was coach of Young Boys, Switzerland when we met them in the Champions League play-offs in 2010-11. He guided his team to a 3-2 win against us in Bern before we hit back 4-0 at the Lane to progress.

- Of course, there is one famous connection between the teams - Paul Gascoigne. The midfielder joined Lazio after his serious knee injury in 1992. Lazio's general manager Maurizio Manzini said: "There is always a corner of Tottenham in our hearts. He is a mythical figure for Lazio fans and very popular in Italy."

An interesting match I suppose. i think it is good to have another game so the players can get used to the 'system'. It looked like things might be coming together against reading. The QPR match is all important especially considering our next loss is scheduled in for the utd game.

i would play a mixed line up of strong and string

Lloris

naughton Dawson Caulker Vert (see how he does)

lennon Huddlestone Dembele Bale
Dempsey
Defoe

--------------Lloris

Smith Dawson Caulker Naughton

---Dempsey--Sandro--Sig

---Lennon--Dempsey--Bale

- Excuse to introduce Lloris
- Rest Gallas, Verts and Walker as they will be getting a lot of game time this autumn
- More time for our midfield trio to gel (though would like to give Hudd some fitness time in the second half)
- See what Dempsey looks like as a lone forward
- Am assuming BAE, Livermore and Ade are all injured

--------------Lloris

---Dempsey--Sandro--Sig

---Lennon--Dempsey--Bale

- Rest Gallas, Verts and Walker as they will be getting a lot of game time this autumn
- More time for our midfield trio to gel (though would like to give Hudd some fitness time in the second half)
interesting line up with two dempseys. shame we cant have two bales but with the other right footed

And if we finish 4th as we did last season we could still have nothing to show for the season.
n bot
Supposing we had made the CL do you suggest we not attempt to play strong teams in both the CL and the league? If we can would play strong teams in the CL then we should be able to do it in the UEFA Cup. The likes of Hudd, Ade, Dawson, Caulker and Dempsey together with some of the players that played on Sunday should be possible. I bet Yaha Youre will be playing in all CL matches and most of the league matches. Fergie will be playing strong teams in the CL this year after not getting past the group stage last year.

Bottom line there is simply no excuse for not taking the Europa Cup seriously

This ALL THE TIME !!

If we want to play in the CL & still do well in the league, what is the difference in playing a good side in the Europa Cup. I would love a Cup or Two

This ALL THE TIME !!

If we want to play in the CL & still do well in the league, what is the difference in playing a good side in the Europa Cup. I would love a Cup or Two

If we go all the way, those quarters, semis & final will have a major impact on our league form next Spring.

--------------Lloris

---Dempsey--Sandro--Sig

---Lennon--Dempsey--Bale

That midfield if too open.

And that defense could get run over in the first few minutes. Its not a small team we`re playing tonight. Klose would have fun with them.

It would be hard for us to take it less seriously!!! We should though be using it to give everyone match time - last year Harry managed to alienate squad players by not rotating the league team and playing kids where he should have used squad members.

As a rule of thumb, I would like to see the bench from the previously league game play in the following Thursday's Europa - that way your first team squad (by that I mean the best 18 fit players as evidenced by the fact that you almost always play your strongest team in teh league) play every week.

Therefore, this Thursday Lloris, Caulker, Dawson, Thudd, Townsend, Dempsey and Adebayor all start. Thats 7 of the starting 11. For the remaining 4, pick either (i) people who started the last league game (eg Naughton, Lennon perhaps) or (ii) 1 or 2 promising youngsters (eg Carroll or, given we lack full backs, Adam Smith) or (iii) other senior players who didnt make thelast 18 for the league game

I like this approach. Great Post

ade's injured right? bale was limping last game, but he'll need to help naughton out.
it was 4-2-3-1 at reading right? whatever it was we shouldn't change it for now.

AVB ON LAZIO

Andre Villas-Boas expects SS Lazio to field their strongest team in tonight’s Europa League, Group J opener at White Hart Lane.

The Italians arrive at the Lane in fine form, with five wins out of five so far this season – three in Serie A, two in the Europa League play-off.

It’s a cracker for Matchday One of six in Group J and our first competitive encounter against the team from Rome’s Olympic Stadium.

Andre was asked what he expected from Lazio. “First of all, I expect their strongest team, because this is the way European teams embrace this competition,” he said.

“They come out to win and a club of the dimension of Lazio will do nothing different. They are used to midweek games and have a mix of great talent and experience.

“We’ve been drawn into a difficult group, but we assumed responsibilities that we have to embrace this competition in a different way and the players are doing exactly that.

“It’s important to start with the first three points and that we make it into the last 32.”

Caulker and Townsend at least then :) Maybe Pritchard? Smith?

How tinkled off would Lloris be if he was on the bench and we started Cudicini instead? :D

Certainly a bit contradictary to earlier comments about taking the competition seriously. It's either a priority.....or it's not. And now all of a sudden it's an opportunity to play youngsters? :lol:

Back