• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Siggi

Re: Gylfi Sigurdsson

If Holtby is gonna be used further forward, I can see Siggy developing more in one of the deeper positions in central midfield. He can pass, he works hard, he can get up and down and can shoot from range. With Dempsey also in the squad he isn't going to get many opportunities in that position behind the striker anymore.

Still think he's class though and will show It eventually. Plus I think if we play a fluid style in seasons to come the role behind the striker and a more attacking central midfielder will overlap a bit.

in his recent run of games off the bench i have been impressed with his ability to hold on to the ball and his dribbling, maybe he could become more of a Dembele type for us?

glad he's still here btw, not fair (or wise) to judge a player on a 6 month period

I think Siggy's goalscoring ability is too good to be moved back like Dembele, who barely ever scored more than two a season - Siggy's more Lampard-esque and tends not to get as many touches on the ball as a true CM (averaged 30 passes per game for Swansea last season, compared to Modric's 60+), though he could adapt into a wide playmaker like Kranjcar was for us if he can play faster in the head. In any case he needs a three-man midfield, and a striker who actually gets touches on the ball (ie. not Defoe).

Holtby I think is the one who might be moved deeper, since he's a feisty tackler with a good engine and iirc has actually said that he thinks he'll move deeper later in his career. We could end up trying something like this:

--------Holtby ------Sandro/Dembele
Lennon-------Siggy--------------Bale
-----------------Ade--------------

I don't think a "true" DM is necessary, but every single player will have to work hard to gain and retain possession. Holtby and Lennon have displayed some nice glimpses of chemistry already, so I'm thinking that Holtby-Lennon-Siggy triangle could be pretty fluid. Dembele may have to play as more of a DM, but he has plenty of defensive qualities.

When one of Lennon/Bale becomes inevitably injured, I'd like to see Siggy try being a wide inverted playmaker, with Holtby starting in the center with Dembele+Sandro/Parker.

Everything depends on Ade finding form though :lol: I honestly think that his resurgence in form would make our entire midfield look better. Dempsey may well also find a very useful place too then esp if he can play further forward so we're not such a long-shot team, since he's a better poacher than Defoe atm; it's just that like any poacher, he needs players (Ade/Siggy/Holtby) to feed him!

agree with your views on both siggy and holtby and would like to see them operate as such.
also we've seen siggy deliver perfectly weighted balls behind the defence, and from youtube videos, Holtby has a good passing range too.

I think Siggy's goalscoring ability is too good to be moved back like Dembele, who barely ever scored more than two a season

But is that due to the role Dembele plays or his shooting ability (or apparent lack of) ? My vote is for the latter.

Judging Holtby a little prematurely but id say the midfield is going to look like this next season:

Sandro/Parker--Dembele/Sigurdsson
-----------Holtby/Dempsey

Possibly seeing Parker replaced if he struggles to recreate last seasons form

Siggy is going to be an awesome player for us so i'm glad we rejected the 10m.

This. He may not become amazing but it would have been extremely short-sighted of us to accept £10m for a player who could be worth double that in a few years' time.

I think Siggy's goalscoring ability is too good to be moved back like Dembele, who barely ever scored more than two a season - Siggy's more Lampard-esque and tends not to get as many touches on the ball as a true CM (averaged 30 passes per game for Swansea last season, compared to Modric's 60+), though he could adapt into a wide playmaker like Kranjcar was for us if he can play faster in the head. In any case he needs a three-man midfield, and a striker who actually gets touches on the ball (ie. not Defoe).

Holtby I think is the one who might be moved deeper, since he's a feisty tackler with a good engine and iirc has actually said that he thinks he'll move deeper later in his career. We could end up trying something like this:

--------Holtby ------Sandro/Dembele
Lennon-------Siggy--------------Bale
-----------------Ade--------------

I don't think a "true" DM is necessary, but every single player will have to work hard to gain and retain possession. Holtby and Lennon have displayed some nice glimpses of chemistry already, so I'm thinking that Holtby-Lennon-Siggy triangle could be pretty fluid. Dembele may have to play as more of a DM, but he has plenty of defensive qualities.

When one of Lennon/Bale becomes inevitably injured, I'd like to see Siggy try being a wide inverted playmaker, with Holtby starting in the center with Dembele+Sandro/Parker.

Everything depends on Ade finding form though :lol: I honestly think that his resurgence in form would make our entire midfield look better. Dempsey may well also find a very useful place too then esp if he can play further forward so we're not such a long-shot team, since he's a better poacher than Defoe atm; it's just that like any poacher, he needs players (Ade/Siggy/Holtby) to feed him!

I agree.

Siggy's at his best when closer to the goal, I don't see him as our deep playmaker type at all. Not to say that he can't develop into that player, but it seems to me much more likely that Holtby will fill that role. Might be a bit much to ask him to do that straight away alongside Dembele who isn't a proper defensive midfielder so I'm expecting Dembele and Parker to be our first choice cm partnership for the rest of the season as long as they're both fit.

But is that due to the role Dembele plays or his shooting ability (or apparent lack of) ? My vote is for the latter.

Judging Holtby a little prematurely but id say the midfield is going to look like this next season:

Sandro/Parker--Dembele/Sigurdsson
-----------Holtby/Dempsey

Possibly seeing Parker replaced if he struggles to recreate last seasons form

Dembele played AM/second striker up until last season, no? If you look at his stats -

2011/12 - 2 goals in 33 starts (3 subs) for Fulham
2010/11 - 3 goals in 22 starts (2 subs) for Fulham
2009/10 - 4 goals in 28 starts (1 sub) for Alkmaar
2008/09 - 10 goals in 20 starts (3 subs) for Alkmaar
2007/08 - 4 goals in 32 starts for Alkmaar
2006/07 - 6 goals in 20 starts (13 subs) for Alkmaar

The only season he's flourished scoring-wise is 2008/09, but that's in a league that is generally very high-scoring even for mediocre strikers. He didn't stand out his first season at Fulham in the AM role - my thinking is that although he's a very silky dribbler and he probably can score (unlike, say, Modric who craps himself near goal), he doesn't have the acceleration/trickery and vision to flourish in the final third in the PL where they really deny you time and space. But when moved back into a box-to-box role, his defensive qualities and ability to retain possession under pressure really come to the fore, and that's why he's won plaudits since last season.

Siggy might be able to up his passing if moved to a deeper, central position, but so far for Reading and Swansea his game seems to revolve more around getting in sight of goal with his classy shooting ability. He's not exactly much of a ballwinner compared to Dembele and his stamina and speed don't stand out for me so far (like I mentioned, Niko-esque), which are qualities in CM that I think we really need if we're playing Lennon and Bale. However I've seen some really nice passes in the final third from him so I think his vision could be an asset, he just needs a good target man to play off of (ie. in-form Ade) or a less selfish, more intelligent striker than Defoe.

It will be interesting to see what AVB can do with him :) One of his main charges is to develop our youngsters - he is Head Coach, after all - so it'll be a good challenge.

Last edited:

Shameless plug due to the Icelandic connection, but after a win like that...I just don't care!

One of his best games in a Spurs shirt so far and bagging that goal will surely do wonders for his confidence. A real load off his shoulders. Now, hopefully we'll begin to see his true colors and we sure could use every hand on deck for the final run-in of the season.

From the minute he came on, he showed that he was much more adapt than Holtby to West Ham's physical style. Great sub by AVB and great to see that Gylfi actually changed the game. I'm still not fully convinced that he suits our general style, but tonight he put in a very good performance which will hopefully give him some much needed confidence.

Agree he played very well and seems to look a lot more confident.

Can't believe his shot that hit the post though, he has been really unlucky - seems to have one amazing long shot miss by inches every appearance.

Excellent game today and very happy that he got his first league goal, hopefully the first of many.

Every game he comes on, he puts at least one onto the woodwork or just wide so I hope he'll start scoring on a more regular basis now.

From the minute he came on, he showed that he was much more adapt than Holtby to West Ham's physical style. Great sub by AVB and great to see that Gylfi actually changed the game. I'm still not fully convinced that he suits our general style, but tonight he put in a very good performance which will hopefully give him some much needed confidence.

Agree. Shame he had to come on because it just wasn't working for Holtby tonight. I have always liked him but never had him in my starting XI.

With Clint and JD out I have now promoted him! Didn't put a foot wrong tonight.

Looked really good. Knew he was going to come on and score today \o/

Been so very unlucky a number of times this season, think it's obvious the quality is there and now he's got his goal hopefully things will start to go his way. With the two Inter games alongside important premier league games he must be nailed on for a few starts, hopefully he can build on today in the coming weeks.

I'd like to see Gylfi get more gametime. Maybe Holtby to start on Sunday though as he's a bit more combative and action esque.

Looked really good. Knew he was going to come on and score today \o/

Been so very unlucky a number of times this season, think it's obvious the quality is there and now he's got his goal hopefully things will start to go his way. With the two Inter games alongside important premier league games he must be nailed on for a few starts, hopefully he can build on today in the coming weeks.

I agree, things have gone wrong so many times but you know with patience that he will come up with the goods. Just hope like Icelander said that it helps his confidence as that looks like his biggest stumbling block.

I'd like to see Gylfi get more gametime. Maybe Holtby to start on Sunday though as he's a bit more combative and action esque.

I must say that with Holtbys all action style, it would be handy to alternate the two, once one tires the other comes on to do the damage.

Back