• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* Official Pre-Season Games Thread *

Sorry but the thought of two Americans in a bar wearing an arsenal and spurs shirt squabbling over teams they've only ever seen on the big tv since product premiership existed I find quite frankly hilarious. To say I should respect them I find even more hilarious. Why would they be arguing anyway? I dont hate arsenal and their fans because I'm somehow just supposed to? I hate arsenal cos I've been to nlds grew up with the tossers and actually experienced their odious fans on a daily basis. The thought of two plastics arguing cos its in their 'how to be a spurs soccer customer' handbook makes me chuckle. Respect to the Scandinavians and dutch been coming since the 70s supporting us all over Europe no problem with that just hate the way modern footballs going. Didn't want to carry on ranting but fact posters on here think I should be showing them some sort of respect for watching spurs on tv for a few years felt if explain myself more. Again just my opinions don't hate me for thinking this way.

Ah. So a true Spurs fan is only one who regularly goes to the Lane or away days.

I'm sure most fans would go to Spurs games if they could. Me included. Unfortunately, travelling 3500 miles every weekend is a strain on the wallet that few can take with aplomb. Or, to put it in other words, it's a choice between regularly watching Spurs live and feeding their kids for most people. So why on earth should they be expected to attend every game, home and away, at the risk of financial ruin? That's the definition of support?

So, basically, the only ones who will ever be allowed to support Spurs are Western/Northern Europeans, since they can travel to Spurs games without too much of a hassle. Everyone else can fudge right off, eh?

And, incidentally, like I said, it's more likely to be one Spurs fan versus a dozen Arsenal fans. Who also interact with the few Spurs fans on a regular basis. The difference being, there's rarely ten other lads fighting your corner. Just you. Since, again, Spurs aren't very well supported outside of the UK and bits of Europe.

As I said just my opinion but not once did I say only people going to games are proper supporters just said someone watching on other side of world on tv wearing their fancy new replica kit won't be getting any respect of me which you somehow seem to think they deserve.

Sorry but the thought of two Americans in a bar wearing an arsenal and spurs shirt squabbling over teams they've only ever seen on the big tv since product premiership existed I find quite frankly hilarious. To say I should respect them I find even more hilarious. Why would they be arguing anyway? I dont hate arsenal and their fans because I'm somehow just supposed to? I hate arsenal cos I've been to nlds grew up with the tossers and actually experienced their odious fans on a daily basis. The thought of two plastics arguing cos its in their 'how to be a spurs soccer customer' handbook makes me chuckle. Respect to the Scandinavians and dutch been coming since the 70s supporting us all over Europe no problem with that just hate the way modern footballs going. Didn't want to carry on ranting but fact posters on here think I should be showing them some sort of respect for watching spurs on tv for a few years felt if explain myself more. Again just my opinions don't hate me for thinking this way.

absolute gonads

As I said just my opinion but not once did I say only people going to games are proper supporters just said someone watching on other side of world on tv wearing their fancy new replica kit won't be getting any respect of me which you somehow seem to think they deserve.

Well, a 'proper supporter' is one you'd be proud to call a fellow fan. But you have no respect for the blokes watching dodgy streams at 3 am with work to get up for four hours after that. Ergo, you wouldn't be proud to call them fellow supporters. Ergo, you don't consider them 'proper' supporters.

So yeah, you did say that people going to games are proper supporters, and people who don't aren't.

Respect does go both ways, mate. It's very, very easy for an overseas supporter to summarily dismiss your credentials as a fan by saying 'You were lucky enough to be born into the same country as Spurs, grew up around people who were into football(And quite possibly Spurs) and have enough of a social security net and enough of a living to be able to go to a Spurs game. You haven't proved anything as a fan, ergo you deserve no respect from me.'

I won't slate you, fella.

But I do think it's rather sad that you're so judgmental and rudely dismissive of these people on the basis of...........well, on the basis of fudge all, actually.

Me? I'm delighted to welcome anyone to the Spurs family, from whatever far flung corner of the world they might hail. In fact, I get an extra little kick of pride whenever I come across or read about any of our foreign fans. Good on 'em, I say. They're every bit as much Spurs fans as I am - regardless of where they live or how long they've been supporting Spurs.

This. I respect them even more if they have the tenacity to stay up every match day and watch us at 'x'am in the morning due to the time differences.

Locationally challenged spurs fans are still spurs fans.

This. I respect them even more if they have the tenacity to stay up every match day and watch us at 'x'am in the morning due to the time differences.

Locationally challenged spurs fans are still spurs fans.

Back in my student days (couldn't afford satellite) - used to go to one of the sports bars here and watch on the small CRT TVs on the side with no sound since the Top 4 games always got preference on the big projector. Occasionally (if no other game was showing) I'd ask the bar manger if he could please put the Spurs game on the big screen with sound which only happened once every 15-odd games and was treated as a special occasion! Best part was changing it to the fudging cricket or even worse the rugby at half-time because some half-wit fat qunts want the watch grown men bump eachother

Last edited:
Well, a 'proper supporter' is one you'd be proud to call a fellow fan. But you have no respect for the blokes watching dodgy streams at 3 am with work to get up for four hours after that. Ergo, you wouldn't be proud to call them fellow supporters. Ergo, you don't consider them 'proper' supporters.

So yeah, you did say that people going to games are proper supporters, and people who don't aren't.

Respect does go both ways, mate. It's very, very easy for an overseas supporter to summarily dismiss your credentials as a fan by saying 'You were lucky enough to be born into the same country as Spurs, grew up around people who were into football(And quite possibly Spurs) and have enough of a social security net and enough of a living to be able to go to a Spurs game. You haven't proved anything as a fan, ergo you deserve no respect from me.'

I'm not looking for respect from someone on other side of planet tho? You're the one who brought up respect you and only you and started saying how I should respect them? I don't plain and simple you don't respect me wow I'm not surprised I don't want respect for simply following my football team I suppose it's just something you'll 'never get' as they say. Out of interest how long have you been such a die hard follower of spurs? And do you often attend local football matches?

I'm not looking for respect from someone on other side of planet tho? You're the one who brought up respect you and only you and started saying how I should respect them? I don't plain and simple you don't respect me wow I'm not surprised I don't want respect for simply following my football team I suppose it's just something you'll 'never get' as they say. Out of interest how long have you been such a die hard follower of spurs? And do you often attend local football matches?

Firstly, I didn't bring up respect, thfcsteff did. I merely emphasized the point when you said you'd never give them any. Secondly, how long I've been a follower of Spurs doesn't really matter, does it? I live in North America, ergo I'm a 'new age spastic' and deserve no respect. Still, for what it's worth, I started following Spurs in 1999, nine years after I was born. My local team's Toronto FC, and I go down to see them about twice a month, when I'm not travelling.

Maybe I will never 'get' it. Believe me, if it's what I think you believe it to be, I don't want any part of it. For my part,I believe a football fan deserves respect, simply for the brick he or she willingly puts himself/herself through, season after season, despite being spat on by both the game they love and the club they support in more ways than one. I believe there needs to be an underlying respect between football fans themselves, in recognition of the brotherhood the game foists on us all. And I believe that fans of the same bloody club need to respect each other, at the very least. Not disparage them as 'new age spastics' for being, as one poster aptly put it, 'locationally challenged'.

Simple enough. The day I stop believing those things is the day I stop believing in the game, period. So I'm quite happy not 'getting' it, if that's what it boils down to.

Fair enough you've got your opinions I've got mine just can't see why I'd ever be interested in a club the other side of the planet that I had no real affinity to? Sorry if my opinions in anyway upset you I'm genuine about that don't wanna come across putting everyone down and upsetting people I'm far too nice a person. Anyway back on track??? Starting XI for us tour games?

Your tarring all american supporters with the same brush mate. Yes there are probably a few who have only watched us the one time we were in town in a pre-season friendly against San Antonio and claim to be 'supporters' yet they don't know when or who we are playing week in week out and nor do they really care. However there are many more who, as mentioned before, sit up to 3am to watch games on bricky streams etc. These guys are real fans, and deserve just as much respect as a life long season ticket holder.

I think this may have been your original point, but you just put it across badly??

Starting XI for us tour games?

Hoping to see a squad announced soon. I think they're flying over tomorrow.

New Age Spastic
North American Spurs

Hmmmm, spooky :eek:

For what its worth, a Yid is a Yid in my book. Don't really care where they come from or how they found their way to the promised land.

Not sure quite gutted we're going on this tour without our number nine forward signing whoever they may be. Groundhog day

It's difficult to explain. People have different triggers that set them off. I got my first football kit in 99. It was the Holsten kit from '91 that my dad found lying in a bin at the back of an old sports store. On sale, it was. it had no name on the back, so I asked my dad to get me a football encyclopedia (no internet for us back then) so I could find a football player I liked. He grudgingly acquiesced, I got my book and I spent hours reading it. When I found the section about Spurs it had the picture of Gazza jumping with delight in the semi, and I recognized it as the kit I had. So I read some more, and eventually chose him as the name on my shirt. From there, it kind of snowballed. Read more about Spurs, wore that kit to every football kickabout (it was 'different', and I liked it) and eventually stated watching our games when the TV deal came out in Dubai. Been hooked ever since. :)

People have different reasons for supporting Spurs. Not all of them involve a local connection or a family tradition. Some of them just involve coincidences and childish dreams of glory on sodden pitches. It doesn't matter in the end, we're all irreversibly tied to Spurs now, and that won't change. :)

But yes, back on topic. I reckon we'll go for the same formation we used against Stevenage, possibly;

---------Friedel----------

Walker-Kaboul--Vertonghen-Bae

--------Hudd--Livermore------

Lennon----Gylfi------Bale

---------Soul Man-----------

with the other first teamers being introduced towards the end.

----------friedel---------------------------
Walker kaboul vertonghen benny?
---------hudd Livermore---------------
Lennon. Sig Townsend
---------------Kane?--------------------

Or do we give Bentley ad jenas starts from off let them prove their worth to the gaffer?

Or do we give Bentley ad jenas starts from off let them prove their worth to the gaffer?

Prove themselves? Well, in Bentley's case, possibly, but in Jenas' case, don't see how he can expect to be in the first team when we have Livermore, Hudd, Sandro, Gylfi and Rafa most likely ahead of him. And that's not counting Mod's replacement.

Sadly, think Jenas' time at the club is coming to an end. Shame, he was committed, whatever his other faults.

Back