• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

I like Di Caprio because he does a range of emotions and characters well. He is a bit of a blank canvas actor like Brass Pitt I think. I prefer performances from Daniel Day Lewis or Pacino, enjoy them more, but think they are less adaptable.

That's funny because I think Di Caprio and Pitt are probably two of the most over rated actors going who only play characters within a very narrow range.

On the other hand Pacino has played a huge range of characters (although lately has made a caricature of himself somewhat). Day Lewis? Compare Last of the Mohicans to Gangs of New York to There Will Be Blood to Lincoln. It's the same actor. Mind blown.

Stop! Hammer time isn't it. Di Caprio and Pitt are for my money the best actors around at the moment. They are fantastic in everything I've ever seen them in, and can portray a vast range of emotions and have come up with some truly memorable characterisations over the years. Pacino is excellent too, but I wouldn't say he has played a wide range of characters either over the years.

Watched Wolf of Wall Street on Friday, I thought Di Caprio was excellent in it, and somehow managed to make the character almost likeable, despite being a drug-crazed, womanising scum bag. The film was very hard hitting, bordering on ****ographic, but I enjoyed it and found it very amusing in places.

That's funny because I think Di Caprio and Pitt are probably two of the most over rated actors going who only play characters within a very narrow range.

On the other hand Pacino has played a huge range of characters (although lately has made a caricature of himself somewhat). Day Lewis? Compare Last of the Mohicans to Gangs of New York to There Will Be Blood to Lincoln. It's the same actor. Mind blown.

To be fair Daniel Day Lewis was a bad example as I've only seen and loved him in GoNY and There Will Be Blood recently. He was very similar in those. I bet he's almost always a bit brooding and intense though.

Pacino is mostly intense and expressive. Spacey is mostly ironic and detached. Bale is intense and crazed. Most actors are like this.

With Pitt and Di Caprio I find they are less tied to emotional foundations. As I said though, that doesn't make me prefer them as actors but I do have a lot of respect for what they can do and can imagine there are times when a director prefers their style.

Each to their own and I know I've had the debate on here before about how much I don't rate Pitt (for the record my feeling on him is that he always plays the same character in every movie, that being the coolest guy in the room I.e. Brad Pitt)

As for Leo, I like him but when Matt Damon acts the **** out of you in The Departed, you are over rated son.

Filth - what a disgustingly brilliant movie! MacAvoy is amazing

Not for the faint hearted 8/10

Book is brilliant too. I was surprised when McAvoy got the part, as the character seems a lot older and uglier in the book, but he was brilliant

Book is brilliant too. I was surprised when McAvoy got the part, as the character seems a lot older and uglier in the book, but he was brilliant

I was surprised with his performance too. I had him marked down as a softy, almost Shakesperian actor, not any more!! The film was excellent, watched it in the cinema and the film was that much better for it.

The film leaves you feeling trapped, glued to your seat experiencing what is very seldomly comfortable viewing. A film very unlike most but that leaves you feeling that you've had an experience. I can't tell you whether I enjoyed the movie 100% but I can tell you that it was well worth the watch.

[video=vimeo;84546365]http://vimeo.com/84546365[/video]

Fight Club minus Brad Pitt

one thing i never got - in that scene above, which is what kick started the whole underground fighting club, Ed Norton is just some nuts fella punching himself in the head and rolling around the floor - so why is it that the two onlookers see this and think it'd be a good idea to start fighting eachother

Maybe they were unhinged, maybe there's just one other person, rather than the two. Maybe they see him beating the crap out of himself and think that this is a guy who they could easily kick the crap out of, maybe they're just homicidal hooligans in search of violence.

I had considered that scene too and the question that you raised.

Finally got around to watching American Hustle up cinema tonight and was well worth £4.14 just to see all the side-boob Amy Adams displayed :cool: Good movie all round too!

A bit more of Jennifer on Amy action wouldn't have gone amiss though... :-"

5KqWrKj.gif

I don't really want to be crawling through 217 pages so I will just write here. Can you lot list me some films that are great, but none of the obvious ones like Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Shawshank etc.

Underrated ones like The Prestige which won't be top of everyone in the worlds list etc. I just want to get a list together and watch some films that I may or may have not seen before. So don't go listing The Prestige either, it's one of the best films ever made and I've seen it numerous times :p

So perhaps a top 10 list from you guys.

I don't know whether you want films in the style of The Prestige or just our own underrated top 10 lists? I'll give a list of what I can think of at the moment

City Of GHod
Nebraska (Probably in that stage between cinema and DVD at the moment though)
In A World
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (Jim Carrey's career highlight)
Persepolis

I watched Class Of '92 yesterday. After getting over the initial dislike of Manchester United, it is a really good documentary

Did not expect Tony Blair to pop up on it

a top 10 list of films that aren't obvious - you mean?

The Thing
Wyatt Earp
The Lookout
Pi
Mysterious Skin
Devil
Marathon Man
Mr Brooks
Quiz Show
Daybreakers

check out www.icheckmovies.com - a handy website to keep track of what you have seen

that isn't a top 10 as such, i just went through the first couple of pages of my checklist picking out some good ones

Back