• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

SteveAWOL, you missed Rush... to me, that was one of the best films and Philomena. Was Zero Dark Thirty really released in 2013?

I would largely agree with what you said otherwise. I'm not sure whether Alan Partridge would have been universally popular, I enjoyed it but then I enjoyed the tv series.

The Haunting was a good horror film released this year too. Maybe there have been some good films, but I've just been overwhelmed by the many that have left me feeling a bit flat and perhaps never quite lived up to expectations.

Apart from Django Unchained, Alan Partridge, This Is The End, Zero Dark Thirty and Captain Philips the majority of 2013' big releases have been disappointing imo... Elysium was no District 9, Gravity was no Moon and there was a plethora of inferior comic book sequels like Thor 2, Iron Man 3, Man Of Steel, Wolverine, Kick Ass 2... Not forgetting The Hangover III and The World' End which were both the least funny instalments of their respective trilogies.

2012 wasn't much better at the cinema iirc but 2011 had quite a few quality releases which kept me going to the local Odeon multiplex on Orange Wednesdays: Senna, Hugo, Drive, True Grit, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, The Inbetweeners, X-Men First Class, Black Swan...

But you're right about it being a great era for TV shows with Game Of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead and Boardwalk Empire setting a very high standard and making most movies look very poorly written in comparison.

Agreed on 2011 senna and drive were highlights for me.
I use love film so tend to watch loads of old films at the moment .

I think maybe the films have dropped of a touch as studios spend more money on the big t.v stuff ?? Not sure could be a possibility.

Last year I went to the cinema 40+ times, a friend works for one of the biggest cinema advertising companies in the country and has staff cards for all the major cinema chains, this year I think we've been about 4-5 times, most films that have been out haven't interested me in the slightest, not even for free.

SteveAWOL, you missed Rush... to me, that was one of the best films and Philomena. Was Zero Dark Thirty really released in 2013?

I would largely agree with what you said otherwise. I'm not sure whether Alan Partridge would have been universally popular, I enjoyed it but then I enjoyed the tv series.

I missed Rush and Philomena at local Odeon and they sold out at local indie cinema. ZDT was released in January afaik.

Alan Partridge made almost £10m at UK box office which ain't bad for a low budget movie based upon a TV show whose heyday was over a decade ago. Not sure if it got a general release in any other countries tho.

Agreed on 2011 senna and drive were highlights for me.
I use love film so tend to watch loads of old films at the moment .

I think maybe the films have dropped of a touch as studios spend more money on the big t.v stuff ?? Not sure could be a possibility.

Yeah I've got LoveFilm too and been working my way through the golden oldies over the years.

Hollywood seems obsessed with big budget franchises lately and, whilst I quite enjoyed the Nolan reboot of Batman and Singer take on X-Men, I feel that there's just been too many Marvel / DC movies in recent years along with all the repetitive comedies starring the same groups of actors plus the remakes of old/foreign movies.

The budgets on TV shows produced by the likes of HBO is immense nowadays and when you see that the likes of Martin Scorsese are directing episodes of Boardwalk Empire it shows how the tables have turned somewhat.

Last year I went to the cinema 40+ times, a friend works for one of the biggest cinema advertising companies in the country and has staff cards for all the major cinema chains, this year I think we've been about 4-5 times, most films that have been out haven't interested me in the slightest, not even for free.

I invariably go to my local Odeon on Orange Wednesdays as tickets work out at less than a fiver but whilst we used to go most weeks in years gone by, like yourself, I've barely gone once a month this year. Imo the cinema chains need to up their game with IMAX, Dolby Atmos and such like as most people have HD TVs and surround sound systems in their homes so going to the cinema no longer has the wow factor it once did.

Last edited:
I go to the cinema all the time, it's probably been noticed here. I find it a cheap form of entertainment. Cheap in as much as it costs me £16 per month to watch as many films as I'd like to.

Sadly, I've seen a lot of rubbish too, but I've only walked out of two movies this year; About Time, and the latest Die Hard Disaster.

I go to the cinema all the time, it's probably been noticed here. I find it a cheap form of entertainment. Cheap in as much as it costs me £16 per month to watch as many films as I'd like to.

Sadly, I've seen a lot of rubbish too, but I've only walked out of two movies this year; About Time, and the latest Die Hard Disaster.

Should we ever cancel sky, I think we would do the same. Going to £32 for a couple plus the added bits ontop (babysitter) could make the price uncompetitive though.

Took my Nephews to see Hunger Games last night and I was surprised to be honest. Thought it was actually very good. One thing that was nice. Going to the cinema on a week night at 5pm you generally sit in empty theatres. Last night it was choka, the screen we were in was full of school kids still in uniforms who decided to go straight from school. We had to sit 5 rows from the front, and you know what I think that added to the enjoyment, the two boys had never sat that close and they loved it. I dunno maybe the change made the film better lol

I always know a film is half decent if I don't look at my watch for the time. We had half hour of **** at the start, and the film started on the hour. That was the last time I looked at my watch until the lights came on.

Saw the mandela film the other night with idris elba as mandela. Its from mandelas official biography so gives a true representation on what he went through. Thought it was excellent it had to cover load of issues over two hours but thought Elba was very good in the accent and appearance. Some very powerful images of shootings and killings and gives a view on how south africa was like in the last fifty years.

If there was a Cineworld in my home town I'd get an Unlimited card too as they are great value. Unfortunately the nearest multiplex is a half hour drive away so I just go to the local Odeon up the road and tend to leave a lot of movies I'm not entirely convinced about until LoveFilm have the Blu-Ray, as that costs me £15 a month for unlimited rentals.

Saw the mandela film the other night with idris elba as mandela. Its from mandelas official biography so gives a true representation on what he went through. Thought it was excellent it had to cover load of issues over two hours but thought Elba was very good in the accent and appearance. Some very powerful images of shootings and killings and gives a view on how south africa was like in the last fifty years.

Want to go see this. Elba has got to be the next Bond

did you see him in Luther ,he's a big lump,if he run across any roof tops i got a feeling he may fall through them!!!!

Haven't seen it, but he's Stringer Bell, so all's good

Since watching The Wire i've always wanted to meet Idris Elba and just shout "Where's Walllace, String?"

Watched the 2nd Hunger games film last night. Tbh I thoght it was quite good, looking forward to the final instalment

Watched the 2nd Hunger games film last night. Tbh I thoght it was quite good, looking forward to the final instalment

There are two films left. The last book has been split, one film out next December and then the next, the following December.

Just watched Prisoners - what a very very very good and gripping movie.

Just hate the ****in ending - being open ended etc. I hate that ****. arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hoping to catch a film again this weekend when we drive down for the Liverpool match. Depending on the showtimes it looks like either Carrie or Homefront

The Haunting was a good horror film released this year too. Maybe there have been some good films, but I've just been overwhelmed by the many that have left me feeling a bit flat and perhaps never quite lived up to expectations.

Is that The Haunting in Connecticut 2? The first one was good.

Not at all up to speed on what's recent, but The Conjuring was OK. Nothing original about though. Kick Ass 2 sucked balls.

Scripts have generally been bad for years, butI find a lot of recent films look poor as well. Finally got round to Nolan's Batman trilogy and I was seriously underwhelmed. Acting sucked, directing sucked even more, terrible script and some scenes were completely ruined because it was so obvious it was a sound stage. I've seen better sets in the theater.

Back