• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

When you think of top strikers, you think of great goals scored from tough positions.

But a huge number of goals are scored from tap-ins, deflections, luck etc.

Earlier Dempsey scored because Carrick lost his run and he got into space and knocked it in, pretty simple really.

Every week goals are scored because a shot is parried and the ball runs loose and gets bundled in.

So it may not be necessary to get some awesome Drogba Torres Van Persie combo to get to the CL - we just need enough bodies in the box, and enough crosses (hard and low).

Did you notice that when Dempsey scored it was Dawson busting a gut to get into the box and screaming for the pull back from Lennon?

That can be what wins games, the desire to get into the box.

Sometimes it seems like we don't get the breaks in the box, but if we got more pressure, more people in the box, more balls fired at the keeper and across the defence, it would fall to our player more often, for a tap in like tonight.

Remember the shot from Lennon, De Gea saved it and Defoe followed up and his effort was saved too? That is the kind of great follow-up work we need.

Remember the shot that was deflected and De Gea saved with his left leg? That was so fortunate to be saved, any bigger deflection and it flies in.
The same happened with Julio Cesar at QPR, Defoe's shot was deflected and saved with a leg.

Dempsey ran through, skipped a challenge, got a shot off with his left foot but somehow De Gea saved it.

We will get bits of luck in games and be coasting and saying how awesome our players are, when essentially they've done the same things as tonight.

We need an option, someone to replace him with when he's as bad in front of goal as he was today. I guess you could say Ade is that man, but really, we should have room for three pure strikers in the squad.

NO Ade is not that man, not with 2 league days all season

So it may not be necessary to get some awesome Drogba Torres Van Persie combo to get to the CL - we just need enough bodies in the box, and enough crosses (hard and low).

To win trophies and qualify for the CL consistently we need a quality striker, else it will probably be a one off like we did last tme

There's a lot of people being very harsh on JD today, unlucky not to score just after RVP did, great reaction shot and very good save from De Gea.
The 2nd half chance, you really have to give Ferdinand more credit, it was a great block

This for me as well, it seems no matter what he does they will always be the haters.

This for me as well, it seems no matter what he does they will always be the haters.

Not really. If he scores then there won't be.

The issue is, if he doesn't score then he still doesn't add enough to our overall play to be in the team.

The issue is, if he doesn't score then he still doesn't add enough to our overall play to be in the team.

very few strikers do in todays game though.

and his overall play is MUCH better than i have seen from him for a while

the number of touches and passes he makes has gone significantly higher than in recent years. if you look at this season in isolation (something i would never advocate) he is actually having as good a season aS alot of the strikers out there

That is just not true, he has scored 132 goals for Spurs yet there are some fans who keep saying he is brick and not good enough.:rolleyes:

That is just not true, he has scored 132 goals for Spurs yet there are some fans who keep saying he is brick and not good enough.:rolleyes:

The number of goals he score is irrelevant to the amount he adds to our overall play.. :lol:..

Plus stating '132' without stating how many appearances is a bit deceiving..

The number of goals he score is irrelevant to the amount he adds to our overall play.. :lol:..

Plus stating '132' without stating how many appearances is a bit deceiving..

He is a striker who scores goals, at the moment he is 8th in our all time goalscorers ( 6 more and he will be 5th), but he is brick and not good enough according to some, as i say haters will always hate.

He is a striker who scores goals, at the moment he is 8th in our all time goalscorers ( 6 more and he will be 5th), but he is brick and not good enough according to some, as i say haters will always hate.

Still taking points out of their reference..

Sigh.

Haters will only hate when there is something that could be improved upon.

And the lovers will always love.

what a trite and meaningless expression

Defoe is more than decent, has had a better than expected season so far - well done.
Is he capable of firing us to 3rd or higher? probably not.

Anyone notice we seem to have a great striker and a below par team or vice versa?

When we had Lineker, we had the likes of Pat Van Den Hauwe and Vinny Samways (granted we had Gazza-but he ran the team, and after he left we got Durie 8-[.

When we had Berba we had Teemu, when we had Modric we had Pav/Defoe.

I think the core of our team this year is hard to beat and extremely well drilled, we just need a striker with a little 'je nais se quoi' - unfortunately you pay a premium for that. I'm not knocking Defoe, but he is such a purple patch player, we need consistency.

Always think we look more likely to score with him in the team. all strijkers go through dry periods. He normally gets dropped when he does, if AVB keeps the faith it will be interesting to see if he starts scoring again.

Anyone notice we seem to have a great striker and a below par team or vice versa?

When we had Lineker, we had the likes of Pat Van Den Hauwe and Vinny Samways (granted we had Gazza-but he ran the team, and after he left we got Durie 8-[.

When we had Berba we had Teemu, when we had Modric we had Pav/Defoe.

I think the core of our team this year is hard to beat and extremely well drilled, we just need a striker with a little 'je nais se quoi' - unfortunately you pay a premium for that. I'm not knocking Defoe, but he is such a purple patch player, we need consistency.

Teemu was a good player. Unfortunately when we had Berba our central midfielders were Jenas, Zokora and O'Hara. Your point is a good one though, we signed Berbatov the summer we sold Carrick, and sold him the summer we signed Modric, imagine how good we could have been if we'd had him alongside either of those two. Same with Sheringham who left the summer we signed Ginola.

With Defoe, it's second half of the season syndrome. He had a great first half, like in 04/05, 06/07, 09/10 and 11/12, but in all of those seasons his form has massively dipped in the second half. The only seasons he's done well in the second half of the season have been 03/04 when we first signed him, 07/08 when he went to Portsmouth. I see no reason why he won't dip again especially as we have played him for 90 minutes in most games and he will start to tire.

Always think we look more likely to score with him in the team. all strijkers go through dry periods. He normally gets dropped when he does, if AVB keeps the faith it will be interesting to see if he starts scoring again.

We got some of the poorer teams coming up before Arsenal. Wouldn't be surprised to see him score a couple, but I don't think matters much whether he's been in the team or not prior to going on a scoring streak.

We're being held back by our front two, anyone can see that. We have a fantastic young keeper, we have a very talented defence(I wasn't a fan of yesterday's incarnation but in general we're strong there), we have an excellent starting midfield but we're fairly weak beyond that, we have upper midtable forwards/strikers.

Back