• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

I think people confuse two different points of view

- Should we look at buying a striker in January? Absolutely, for cover, potentially as upgrade (if we can find) and different tactical options
- Does that mean JD is brick? no, it doesn't. JD had a poor game by all accounts yesterday, and he has always had certain limitations (he's never going to be tall as example), but he has contributed heavily to where the team is today.

This really feels like one of those fan arguments that goes in circles with neither side changing the story.

http://www.eplindex.com/23366/jermain-defoe-progressed-avb-stats-analysis.html

Jermain Defoe has silenced his critics since the start of the season, with the striker firing nine goals into the net, keeping him near the top of the Golden Boot leader-board.

But despite playing regular football under Andre Villas-Boas, has the Englishman actually improved his form under the Portuguese manager?

Comparing last season to his season so far, I will question if Defoe has actually improved under AVB, or if his continuous game time has created a false facade of increased performance levels.

Most importantly when comparing the two different seasons, the minutes played is very similar. Last season Defoe played 1287 minutes in the Premier League, a slightly larger number than his current 1266 minutes.

Last season, Defoe scored 11 goals and assisted a further one, only an additional goal created in comparison to the nine goals he has scored this season, combined with his assisted two to create an impressive total of 11.

So attacking wise, the forward has continued his lethal form which can be seen by an overview of last season. This is of course down to his role as substitute. Last season, Defoe made 14 appearances as a substitute in the Premier League and started only 11 games, a huge increase from his 15 appearances started this season.

Because of this, there is no doubt that because of his late introductions into games, the Englishman has found it easier to sneak into defences and boost his goalscoring record by creating the space which is notoriously harder to find in the early stages of games.

This can be shown by Defoe attempting more dribbles last season (27) than the current one (14). As well as this, the lack of space in the opposition’s defence can be shown by Defoe completing more passes towards his own defence or to the side with a large 77% this season, in contrast to last season’s 61%.

Jermaine-Defoe-11-12.png

Jermaine-Defoe-12-13.png

(2011-12 on top, 2012-13 below)

Despite this, the forward has had almost identical shots, testing the keeper 23 times this season, in contrast to last season’s 26 shots. Additionally, Tottenham’s leading scorer has had almost the same shooting accuracy in comparison to his time under Redknapp, with last season’s 52% just edging over this season’s 51%.

The clear-cut chance conversion is where the progression really lies – getting regular football is allowing Defoe to become more clinical when finishing “sitters”. Last season he was converting 31% of the clear-cut chances (sitters) however he’s doubled that this season and is despatching 63% – this is compares favourable to the likes of van Persie (31%) and Suarez (43%) whilst rivals striker Giroud manages only a 17% clear-cut conversion. Only Michu out of the top strikers is better at converting these chances (over 70% conversion rate).

To conclude, with Jermain Defoe almost out-scoring last season’s tally, there is no doubt that the striker can continue to challenge for the golden boot trophy come the end of the season. With extra support from Bale, Lennon and Dempsey right behind the striker, Defoe has had great deliveries and passes coming his way. Finally, with Defoe looking to play on Sunday and therefore have a superior game-time than last season, the striker will be looking to continue to repay the trust which AVB has placed on him.

The clear-cut chance conversion is where the progression really lies – getting regular football is allowing Defoe to become more clinical when finishing “sitters”. Last season he was converting 31% of the clear-cut chances (sitters) however he’s doubled that this season and is despatching 63% – this is compares favourable to the likes of van Persie (31%) and Suarez (43%) whilst rivals striker Giroud manages only a 17% clear-cut conversion. Only Michu out of the top strikers is better at converting these chances (over 70% conversion rate).

Defoe only missed THREE clear-cut chances this season? Well, if the Swansea game has not been included, that number could have doubled to 6 now.

To me the EPL Index stats actually demonstrate that Defoe is more effective coming off the bench (mins per goal).
For perspective this was from Defoe as a secondary striker coming off the bench, adding to the 17 that Ade got us.

Can't help but worried about Defoe's form since the return of Adebayor. He had looked very sharp in front of goal this season. But since the return of Adebayor has looked like his old self, clumsy and wasteful in front of goal, especially the one-on-one situations. Wonder if the pressure is getting to Defoe due to the presence of Adebayor.

Can't help but worried about Defoe's form since the return of Adebayor. He had looked very sharp in front of goal this season. But since the return of Adebayor has looked like his old self, clumsy and wasteful in front of goal, especially the one-on-one situations. Wonder if the pressure is getting to Defoe due to the presence of Adebayor.

As a lone striker, Defoe knows that the responsibility for scoring our goals falls firmly on his shoulders.

Add Adebayor into the mix and he's probably in two minds about whether to go for goal himself or pass to his partner.

As a lone striker, Defoe knows that the responsibility for scoring our goals falls firmly on his shoulders.

Add Adebayor into the mix and he's probably in two minds about whether to go for goal himself or pass to his partner.

Really?

I mean seriously?

There was zero hesitation from him yesterday taking the shots he always takes.

Whilst Ade being there might affect him, it's not because he's thinking of passing it.

I think that when he has a partner he feels less need to get involved in play, but goes missing a lot of the time instead.

Defoe had mentioned earlier that this season his form is improved due to the fact he doesn't have to be worried about being replaced. I think he has now started to be worried about his place due to the presence of Adebayor. It will be really disappointing if that is the case. We need a consistent goal scorer.

defoe is just doing well because he is the ONLY striker and focal point up front.

he is still poor at finishing
- though he does more than bang in the occasional beauty - given the number of chances and the possession that he fails to take advantage of.

But still the best we have at the club when it comes to finishing.

Defoe had mentioned earlier that this season his form is improved due to the fact he doesn't have to be worried about being replaced. I think he has now started to be worried about his place due to the presence of Adebayor. It will be really disappointing if that is the case. We need a consistent goal scorer.

Ironically Ade in front of goal has not impressed me this season

True that ade has to fight his way back into contention....but his late transfer, injury, red card, injury means he hasn't reached match fitness yet. So Defoe has to do better, especially as AvB is very scientific in his evaluation and decision making...won't be surprised if we see a striker acquisition in Jan to increase competition further up front

On MOTD2 Hartson was flattering JD.
They ain't all gonna go in. But he keeps trying. How many striker's heads go down when they miss a couple? What happened to Ricketts when he started missing a few?
Apart from Hoddle wanting to offer more money?
If you had told me last year that I would be defending JD today I would have been amazed. But he will score against Stoke.

True that ade has to fight his way back into contention....but his late transfer, injury, red card, injury means he hasn't reached match fitness yet. So Defoe has to do better, especially as AvB is very scientific in his evaluation and decision making...won't be surprised if we see a striker acquisition in Jan to increase competition further up front

I think this season Defoe has been more effective playing up top alone rather than with Ade.

As for buying a new striker methinks that is an excellent idea as long as it is a player that can add noticeable quality rather than a journey man

I don't really agree with some of the conclusions drawn by the author (eg. Suarez's finishing has improved, hmm...there must be a joke somewhere), but it's interesting to note Defoe has the fewest touches among regular strikers. Is this because he impacts the game only through his scoring and presumably a poor first touch or it's because he prefers to utilise his powerful strike at first sight of goal (as evidenced by his less than satisfactory conversion rate)?

I would really love to have Demba Ba to partner Adebayor, it's only 7.5m+wages (well, if other teams also bid, the price may still rocket out of control), not much of a risk considering you hardly can get a good named striker for anything less than 10m today.

688238.jpg
http://www.football365.com/f365-features/8341186/PL-s-Five-Most-Crucial-Strikers

3. Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)
In direct contrast to the former, Jermain Defoe's role at Tottenham is a far less inclusive, but equally important one.

The England international has averaged fewer touches than any other striker to start more than half of his side's league games this season (25.7), with the fact that he has netted nine goals already telling you all you need to know about the Spurs man.

With Defoe, it is all about chance conversion and his shoot-on-sight attitude has certainly paid off under AVB.

Having attempted the third most shots in the league this season (68), it is no surprise that he dominates Tottenham's overall tally, striking 23.7% of their efforts this season.

His aforementioned nine-goal haul thus far is 30% of the team's overall figure and though a personal conversion rate of 13.2% is unspectacular, Spurs fans know that if Defoe has six or seven shots a game, as he does with some regularity, one will usually find the net.

one thing irritating about defoe recently is that everytime another player takes a shot instead of passing to him, he complains instead of encouraging. Seen him him done it with every player including Bale and Verts!

someone send him his own goal-conversion stat!

Ironically Ade in front of goal has not impressed me this season

Well, I have never been impressed with Adebayor ever ! He is not a clinical goal scorer even when he was with Arsenal, ManCity or Real Madrid. Last season, I counted something like 20-30 one-on-one chances that Adebayor alone wasted for us, one of the main reasons we failed to finish in top 3.

Atleast last season Adebayor had something to prove as he was on loan. Now that we have signed him permanently, I don't expect any improvement from him. In fact, I think Adebayor is more of a hinderance than help to us since he returned from injury.

Well, I have never been impressed with Adebayor ever ! He is not a clinical goal scorer even when he was with Arsenal, ManCity or Real Madrid. Last season, I counted something like 20-30 one-on-one chances that Adebayor alone wasted for us, one of the main reasons we failed to finish in top 3.

Atleast last season Adebayor had something to prove as he was on loan. Now that we have signed him permanently, I don't expect any improvement from him. In fact, I think Adebayor is more of a hinderance than help to us since he returned from injury.

Sorry mate but i don't buy that for one minute. 20 - 30 one on one's? most teams would be lucky to create that many openings in a whole season let alone it falling to one player.

I disagree completely.

Adebayor has shown a lot of hard work and good spirit this season, he also makes things happen, wants the ball and links up play very well. He should score more, but that was the same last season as you say.

I have seen nothing wrong with his attitude, yet tons of speculations about his poor attitude based on little else than him being injured and that he has been a bit moody in the past (years ago).

Back