• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

Who do you want as the next Spurs manager?

• Tim Sherwood

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Glenn Hoddle

• Michael Laudrup

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Fabio Capello

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Lucien Favre

• Luciano Spalletti

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Marcelo Bielsa

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 53 46.5%

• Total voters
why doesnt Levy just take control of the team

daniel_levy.jpg

Ron Noades did

We're a managers' graveyard.

18 months and whoever comes in will never get a big job again.

so how good is the incentive to come into the club and change that perception!!!!!

you would be so highly thought of if you could bend Daniel's will to get what you need and make a success of spurs.....

its the kind of challenge that a hungry determined manager should want.

That's partly my worry. People may want the job for financial reasons rather than footballing

Very true. Different discussion I know but surely dismissal clauses for football managers need looking at? I read on here (and have no idea how true it therefore is!) that we're pretty much paying up AVB's contract in full?

someone like DeBoer would be insane to want to work for Levy....How much time will deBoer be given?

Disagree. A job at a club our size is about as good as an offer he'll be likely to get coming out of Dutch football. Perhaps he could cross his fingers and hope to be the next Barca "somewhat out of the blue" appointment, but he might very get atrophy of the fingers before that happens.

The thing is unless you get success most jobs won't give you time. Who are these chairmen and clubs close or close-ish to the top that regularly give struggling managers plenty of time?

With his reputation the way it is he would be able to walk into a top job in Dutch football and probably quite comfortably get a mid table or slightly higher job in Germany or Spain even if he came to us and failed.

The latest here: http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/tottenham/next-permanent-manager

I reckon these are the criteria generally speaking if we are to get a perm before summer:

1. Would come now
2. Has a rounded CV
3. Would fit into our DoF/Chairman/Youth set-up
4. Would generate genuine optimism that we'll actually progress

IMO there is only one candidate (at a push, two) that ticks those four boxes. Here's why I don't think the other top 16 contenders do:

Would not come now
- de Boer
- Rangnick
- Klinnsman
- Benitez
- Hiddink
- Rijkaard

Has not got a rounded CV
- Laudrup
- Yakin
- Pochettino
- Sherwood

Would not fit into our set-up
- Capello
- Hoddle

Would not generate genuine optimism that we'll actually progress
- Bielsa
- Solskjaer
- Zola
- di Matteo

All 16 of those are not going to happen before the summer. I'd put my entire life savings of €27.54 on it.

The one name that's missing is Spalletti. He's top of the Russian league in a tough title battle, and with CL last 16 coming up. However, he's been there a while so might be more likely to have itchy feet, Russia is a damn mercenary place so walking out would be meh, his CV is interesting, he seems like a grown-up, he'll be used to DoF's & kooky Chairmen, and unlike, say, de Boer or Benitez, Spurs would probably be his best shot for a job with a top team in a big league.

So if we appoint a perm before the summer, IMO it can only realistically be Spalletti (or, I suppose, much less realistically Solskjaer). All the others are out. Otherwise, it's Sherwood & Co. temp till then, with the slightest outside chance of, say, Freund or Hoddle temping in the event of a drastic loss of confidence in Sherwood.

Well thought out post mate.

I would only question if we can realistically ask for someone with a well rounded CV? Not entirely sure how you see the term "well rounded", but I think most of the managers listed could be described in that way. Did you leave some names out of that category because they fit in other categories? I think half the mentioned candidates would fit personally. I think for a club like ours we have to take that gamble on a manager that does carry significant risk, it's about minimizing the risk or looking for the one most likely to succeed.

Agree that Spalletti would be a good option. I would say getting any one of him, De Boer, Pochettino or Bielsa in would make me happy. I get why people are still unsure about Pochettino and I get why we most likely won't be interested in Bielsa. But there are options there much better than giving the job to Sherwood until the summer and seeing what happens.

We're a managers' graveyard.

18 months and whoever comes in will never get a big job again.

Martin Jol got jobs at HSV, Ajax and Fulham after us. Ramos got an interim job at Real Madrid followed by a fairly high profile job at CSKA after us.

Redknapp got the QPR job, not the most high profile, but he's a manager limiting himself to a certain part of a single country and he got a highly paid job quickly after leaving us.

Or he didn't have a clue and fired AVB from a position of panic and weakness.

Putting a buffoon in charge for our critical Christmas period suggests there's certainly no masterplan.

I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where I claimed that sacking AVB at this point was part of some master plan.

That's partly my worry. People may want the job for financial reasons rather than footballing

Who doesn't take jobs in football at least partly because of money?

The financial rewards for succeeding will be greater than for failing. Most managers we've been linked with will be desperate to succeed, if for no other reason then just because they're highly competitive.

[video=youtube;K5uTBsa9Sgs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5uTBsa9Sgs&feature=player_embedded[/video]

de Boer now Evens at Victor C and Paddy. http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/tottenham/next-permanent-manager

de Boer, Rijkaard, Laudrup and Spalletti the only ones clearly shortening.

- de Boer I suspect coming in due to his agent's equivocal comments, which I take as no more than keeping options open for summer. I'm still certain he won't quit Ajax.
- Rijkaard probably shortening simply because he's one of the few unattached guys, but "7th place PL team in chaos, no CL, cold winter" doesn't really sound like Frank Rijkaard.
- Laudrup, Yakin and Spalletti probably shortening because market thinks they're the most likely candidates to both be offered the job and accept it.

As I said earlier, I don't think Levy would appoint Laudrup or Yakin on grounds of their CV's being a bit too thin/reminiscent of the likes of AVB, Gross, Santini or Ramos...leaving Spalletti as last man standing.

de Boer now Evens at Victor C and Paddy. http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/tottenham/next-permanent-manager

de Boer, Rijkaard, Laudrup and Spalletti the only ones clearly shortening.

- de Boer I suspect coming in due to his agent's equivocal comments, which I take as no more than keeping options open for summer. I'm still certain he won't quit Ajax.
- Rijkaard probably shortening simply because he's one of the few unattached guys, but "7th place PL team in chaos, no CL, cold winter" doesn't really sound like Frank Rijkaard.
- Laudrup, Yakin and Spalletti probably shortening because market thinks they're the most likely candidates to both be offered the job and accept it.

As I said earlier, I don't think Levy would appoint Laudrup or Yakin on grounds of their CV's being a bit too thin/reminiscent of the likes of AVB, Gross, Santini or Ramos...leaving Spalletti as last man standing.

Everything at Ajax is political. I half suspect DeBoer will use this as a bargaining chip to get something he wants at Ajax.

I would go for Benitez, he won't take **** form the players and is a very good manager.

There is no one out there that inspires me, and I think decent managers will think twice as levy has as someone else pointed out, turned the managers job in to a poisoned chalice.

We will end up with someone meh who will be sacked within 18 months.

I predict our purple patch is over, we are on the way back to mid table

[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Tim Sherwood will remain in charge of Tottenham for Sunday's match at Southampton after talks with chairman Daniel Levy, via <a href="https://twitter.com/BenSmithBBC">@bensmithbbc</a></p>&mdash; BBC Sport (@BBCSport) <a href="https://twitter.com/BBCSport/statuses/413705331135369216">December 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/TWEET]

Back