• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

Who do you want as the next Spurs manager?

• Tim Sherwood

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Glenn Hoddle

• Michael Laudrup

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Fabio Capello

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Lucien Favre

• Luciano Spalletti

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Marcelo Bielsa

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 53 46.5%

• Total voters
Yeah, just look at how Bayern Munich's form fell to pieces in January last year when they announced that Heynckes was retiring. He completely lost the dressing room after that.

I'd say that retiring and moving onto arguably greener fields are two very different things.

I'd say that retiring and moving onto arguably greener fields are two very different things.

In addition to that they had the German captain (Lahm) and vice-captain (Schweinsteiger) in their squad. Along with experienced top class players in most positions and a top class squad in general. All of this playing a system that had been in place for years.

As far as examples with a sample size of one are concerned I don't think they're particularly representative.

In addition to that they had the German captain (Lahm) and vice-captain (Schweinsteiger) in their squad. Along with experienced top class players in most positions and a top class squad in general. All of this playing a system that had been in place for years.

As far as examples with a sample size of one are concerned I don't think they're particularly representative.

I agree. Also knowing that Guardiola is taking over surely is a massive boost, even though Heynckes did a brilliant job there last season.

Are many managers going to be lining up to join us? Look at Levy's previous:

sacking Harry after breaking the monopoly of the 'Big 4' and getting us to the Champions League

sacking AVB after a highest total points and our best start to a season in Premier League history

I know there were mitigating circumstances to these, but are there many other clubs that offer less job security than us?

sacking Harry after breaking the monopoly of the 'Big 4' and getting us to the Champions League

sacking AVB after a highest total points and our best start to a season in Premier League history

I know there were mitigating circumstances to these, but are there many other clubs that offer less job security than us?

We're one of the clubs closest to breaking into the CL places in the wealthiest league in the world.

Even average PL money is top money for most coaches apart from at a handful of clubs in some of the bigger leagues around, we pay above average PL money of course.

Most managers will get more chances in smaller leagues if they're talented and have a reputation coming to us.

It's made slightly more difficult by being in the middle of the season, but we certainly will have a strong pull.

Can't think of any bigger clubs that would have less pressure for immediate results.

We're one of the clubs closest to breaking into the CL places in the wealthiest league in the world.

Even average PL money is top money for most coaches apart from at a handful of clubs in some of the bigger leagues around, we pay above average PL money of course.

Most managers will get more chances in smaller leagues if they're talented and have a reputation coming to us.

It's made slightly more difficult by being in the middle of the season, but we certainly will have a strong pull.

someone like DeBoer would be insane to want to work for Levy....How much time will deBoer be given?

Without a doubt plenty of managers will be interested, especially those currently managing outside England and not associated with an elite or bankrolled club. The Premier League has a massive draw and Tottenham however mismanaged at times are still seen as one of the bigger clubs in this country and has a ton of potential as a club. Sure we won't be able to bring in your Mourinho's or your Guardiola's but for a manager with potential to become one who wants that challenge we're an excellent fit.

Was thinking this today, I think I read earlier that Levy has now sacked more managers than Abramovic. The thing with Abramovic is that he will never be short of managers or unable to get the guy that he really really wants because he can throw ridiculous money at them.

There is going to come a point where no-one will work with Levy due to the risk to their career and the money Levy can offer will not out-weigh that risk.

Can't think of any bigger clubs that would have less pressure for immediate results.

not a bad job though is it...

-world class facilities (training)

- established Brazilian international midfielders

-young talent.....Townsend, vlad, rose, Walker, Eriksen, Holtby, Lamela, Sig....basically give or take a year or two some of these players could be really special....could!!!

-one of the biggest and best local derby's to play

-a shot at champions league if succesful

-guarenteed fat pay off if you fail......

loads of managers would want this job, if the right decisions are made we could be very healthy in the near future.....just has to do the following...

-review medical set up
-appoint a captain who leads by performances and can give us all confidence leading out the team..... (sandro)
-give up on Kaboul (always injured) and Dawson and buy two centre backs
-buy an accomplished left back.....
-ditch ade & defoe and invest in three strikers
-work on set peices defence & attack
-figure out a way to work with Daniel & franco...

do all of that and its a pretty cushty job watch the talent develop keep the press & fans happy....jobs a good-un

Was thinking this today, I think I read earlier that Levy has now sacked more managers than Abramovic. The thing with Abramovic is that he will never be short of managers or unable to get the guy that he really really wants because he can throw ridiculous money at them.

There is going to come a point where no-one will work with Levy due to the risk to their career and the money Levy can offer will not out-weigh that risk.

I agree. It's like the Brendan Rodgers quote when he was at Swansea and linked with Chelsea: 'No way, I'm trying to build my career not destroy it'.

We will have that aura about us now I'm sure - certainly for young managers with potential. The way we have treated AVB has been shoddy to say the least, and it's more about the broken promises. We claim we want something long term in place and that we will provide the support to make that happen but if we aren't hitting ridiculous targets Levy pretty quickly loses interest and thinks there must be someone else out there to do a better job.

The sackings work for Chelsea because they are the type of club that can spend £30m on a back up winger that they don't really need. We need to build something long term and we keep shooting ourselves in the foot.

-figure out a way to work with Daniel & franco...

I haven't thought of this until now. Will they only look for a manager who will work with Baldini? What if they get someone like Redknapp who wants full control and that means letting Franco go. Would be a very expensive experiment on Levy's part

Do you want a job Nigey? :p

(I'm only half joking)

to be fair I wouldnt want to give interviews after a defeat.........to much effing and jeffing.....

I would like to do a little dance in the technical area (cig in mouth) if we are playing well..... and I would most certainly do a shearer style/barry fry style run down the touchline for last minute winners/important goals.....

In seriousness a job can be made to sound simple or difficult by words alone..... whoever comes in has a very difficult job but no-one can say its a job people dont want............

its a lovely club!!!!

I haven't thought of this until now. Will they only look for a manager who will work with Baldini? What if they get someone like Redknapp who wants full control and that means letting Franco go. Would be a very expensive experiment on Levy's part

i dont see Baldini hanging around too long tbh.....its a madhouse at Spurs, im sure Levy still takes advice from Pleat and Commoli, there are rumours he very much respects Sherwood's opinion too. Baldini will smell the sh!t around the place and simply walk

The latest here: http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/tottenham/next-permanent-manager

I reckon these are the criteria generally speaking if we are to get a perm before summer:

1. Would come now
2. Has a rounded CV
3. Would fit into our DoF/Chairman/Youth set-up
4. Would generate genuine optimism that we'll actually progress

IMO there is only one candidate (at a push, two) that ticks those four boxes. Here's why I don't think the other top 16 contenders do:

Would not come now
- de Boer
- Rangnick
- Klinnsman
- Benitez
- Hiddink
- Rijkaard

Has not got a rounded CV
- Laudrup
- Yakin
- Pochettino
- Sherwood

Would not fit into our set-up
- Capello
- Hoddle

Would not generate genuine optimism that we'll actually progress
- Bielsa
- Solskjaer
- Zola
- di Matteo

All 16 of those are not going to happen before the summer. I'd put my entire life savings of €27.54 on it.

The one name that's missing is Spalletti. He's top of the Russian league in a tough title battle, and with CL last 16 coming up. However, he's been there a while so might be more likely to have itchy feet, Russia is a damn mercenary place so walking out would be meh, his CV is interesting, he seems like a grown-up, he'll be used to DoF's & kooky Chairmen, and unlike, say, de Boer or Benitez, Spurs would probably be his best shot for a job with a top team in a big league.

So if we appoint a perm before the summer, IMO it can only realistically be Spalletti (or, I suppose, much less realistically Solskjaer). All the others are out. Otherwise, it's Sherwood & Co. temp till then, with the slightest outside chance of, say, Freund or Hoddle temping in the event of a drastic loss of confidence in Sherwood.

we will be looking for a coach not someone who wants control.

if we hire Hoddle (he desperatley wants the job) he will be happy to coach but if things start going wrong he will probably start moaning about the set-up or not being able to buy his players.........that is why I have reservations regarding Hoddle.

Agreed. As usual Levy is smartly playing his cards close to his chest.

Or he didn't have a clue and fired AVB from a position of panic and weakness.

Putting a buffoon in charge for our critical Christmas period suggests there's certainly no masterplan.

why doesnt Levy just take control of the team

daniel_levy.jpg

We're a managers' graveyard.

18 months and whoever comes in will never get a big job again.

Back