• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Martinez is most likely Belgium's most successful manager of the modern era. His predecessors were way worse than this. I don't think the Belgium team is that talented. They have Courtois, De Bruyne, Lukaku and that is it. Eden Hazard is a shadow of himself. Tielemans, Thorgan Hazard are good but not world beaters. Vertonghen and Alderwiereld are past it. Belgium are good but I don't see them as faves to win the Euros as there are a few teams with stronger squads.
Their time was the last World Cup, they are a bit old now. Still make them top 3 though with Italy and France

Martinez is most likely Belgium's most successful manager of the modern era. His predecessors were way worse than this. I don't think the Belgium team is that talented. They have Courtois, De Bruyne, Lukaku and that is it. Eden Hazard is a shadow of himself. Tielemans, Thorgan Hazard are good but not world beaters. Vertonghen and Alderwiereld are past it. Belgium are good but I don't see them as faves to win the Euros as there are a few teams with stronger squads.

Martinez has only managed Belgium at one finals too - the WC in 2018, and they came 3rd. So not exactly horrendous

What's all this about Fonseca and the DOF falling out over playing 3v4 at the back?

Again it should be gonad*s but knowing us...

I don't see how the DOF can be hiring managers based on what back like they want to play. Unless said manager is gonna be forced to work with the same players we have now or something.

Mostly because folks put to much trust into what s ome wanabbe / trumper posts on T w atter.

Gold, Kilpatrick and Pitt-Brooke are not wannabes. They interview our manager publicly every week during the season. They have some access. I don’t see anyone else trusting any other source than one of those three.

They still have to publish something. When our club's saying nothing they can't do the same.

The frequency of Gold's articles has increased dramatically in the last few months, and with that the quality of them has dropped as there's only a certain amount of new insight which can come up. I do agree though that the names mentioned about generally will have something of the inside track and are therefore worth listening to

They still have to publish something. When our club's saying nothing they can't do the same.

Tell us what you think is untrue that they’ve said about the managerial hunt? Did we, or did we not, speak to Paratici, Fonseca, Gattuso?

‘They have to publish something’ is when Gold puts up his ‘here’s my ideal Spurs XI next season’ or something similar. Not when he, Kilpatrick and Pitt-Brooke / Ornstein at The Athletic are all reporting the same specific thing.

What's all this about Fonseca and the DOF falling out over playing 3v4 at the back?

Again it should be gonad*s but knowing us...

I don't see how the DOF can be hiring managers based on what back like they want to play. Unless said manager is gonna be forced to work with the same players we have now or something.

Sounds quite silly to me - I don't fall for it, but who knows. Based on the insane things we've done lately, it wouldn't be beyond the scope of reality.

Tell us what you think is untrue that they’ve said about the managerial hunt? Did we, or did we not, speak to Paratici, Fonseca, Gattuso?

‘They have to publish something’ is when Gold puts up his ‘here’s my ideal Spurs XI next season’ or something similar. Not when he, Kilpatrick and Pitt-Brooke / Ornstein at The Athletic are all reporting the same specific thing.
I don't know if some or any of what they've posted has any truth.

Neither do they though.

I don't know if some or any of what they've posted has any truth.

Neither do they though.

I agree that they post what they got told, not what might be actually happening. But when it comes to all 3 or 4 of them talking about the same specific targets, you’d have to assume there’s a kernel of truth in it.

But let’s run with it. What actually is the plan? If we were proactively and strategically deciding upon the best manager for us, and we’d identified them, why haven’t we signed them yet? If they were at a club, surely we could have done it already? If they were a free agent, surely we could have gotten them already? The only way any the club can claim to have acted with any sort of coherent plan around this is if they were deliberately waiting for a coach at the Euros. And the best possible person would appear to be Martinez. Who I can see the benefits of, but was this all worth it? Was sacking Poch worth getting to this point?

I just can’t see a way you slice this that should inspire confidence in the club. Either we’ve not gone deep with the reported targets, in which case what have we been doing? Or we have gone deep with them, from one type of manager to another, and have both kept getting turned down and changing our minds. It’s just very hard to what the optimal outcome is here, that can paint the club in the most strategic and competent light. It is underwhelming at best given we sacked Poch to get here ‘in the best interests of the club.’ And it’s chaos at worst.

I think it’s just about saveable if they pull ETH out of the bag, and can claim he was the guy all along, and that fans shouldn’t believe everything they read, they should just trust the club etc. But I don’t see any other way it looks good for them.

I agree that they post what they got told, not what might be actually happening. But when it comes to all 3 or 4 of them talking about the same specific targets, you’d have to assume there’s a kernel of truth in it.

But let’s run with it. What actually is the plan? If we were proactively and strategically deciding upon the best manager for us, and we’d identified them, why haven’t we signed them yet? If they were at a club, surely we could have done it already? If they were a free agent, surely we could have gotten them already? The only way any the club can claim to have acted with any sort of coherent plan around this is if they were deliberately waiting for a coach at the Euros. And the best possible person would appear to be Martinez. Who I can see the benefits of, but was this all worth it? Was sacking Poch worth getting to this point?

I just can’t see a way you slice this that should inspire confidence in the club. Either we’ve not gone deep with the reported targets, in which case what have we been doing? Or we have gone deep with them, from one type of manager to another, and have both kept getting turned down and changing our minds. It’s just very hard to what the optimal outcome is here, that can paint the club in the most strategic and competent light. It is underwhelming at best given we sacked Poch to get here ‘in the best interests of the club.’ And it’s chaos at worst.

I think it’s just about saveable if they pull ETH out of the bag, and can claim he was the guy all along, and that fans shouldn’t believe everything they read, they should just trust the club etc. But I don’t see any other way it looks good for them.
I'd suggest a plan of waiting to see which international managers are available after the Euros is at least as plausible (probably more) than anything reported so far.

I'd suggest a plan of waiting to see which international managers are available after the Euros is at least as plausible (probably more) than anything reported so far.

Risk of that is that we end up scrambling around in late July. If we wanted, say, martinez, I dont see why we could approach him now. If he wants it, he'd delegate all the negotations to his agent anyway.

separately...

Whilst Nuno isn't my ideal choice, to be honest I'm at the point where I just want Spurs to appoint *someone* (within reason)

I'm not sure that there is night and day difference between the options who are being touted as next in-line (Martinez, Nuno, Potter, Valverde, Parker etc), and they all come with some risk, albeit different risks.

I think we've passed all the managers who could be clearly better than that group and ending the f arce and having someone who can plan for next season alongside Paratici is of more value than trying to get a manager who might be 5% better

That said, I do think Favre would be worth looking at and wonder why his name isnt being linked with the role more

I think it’s the only thing that makes sense, but I think our new MD of Football going after a manager from the Italian league he might have rated in Fonseca was certainly very plausible too.

Back