• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Just want to make clear that I won’t be taking a rumour about Nuno at all seriously until it’s reported by someone with closer links to the club than Talksport.

I agree. Nothing from them is credible. Just expect the next preferred candidate's name to hit the press from various sources in the next 24/48 hours

Risk of that is that we end up scrambling around in late July. If we wanted, say, martinez, I dont see why we could approach him now. If he wants it, he'd delegate all the negotations to his agent anyway.

separately...

I wouldn’t be surprised if we’ve already had discussions with Martinez and he just didn’t want to commit to anything / have anything announced before the tournament if it would serve as a distraction.

And while it makes some sort of plausible sense, and as much as I could get behind Martinez, I’m still not sure it qualifies as being worthy of a master plan, worthy of sacking Poch and Jose to arrive at this point. It would still very much be a gamble, although I’d think he’d learned from his Everton experience and grown since Belgium.

And while it makes some sort of plausible sense, and as much as I could get behind Martinez, I’m still not sure it qualifies as being worthy of a master plan, worthy of sacking Poch and Jose to arrive at this point. It would still very much be a gamble, although I’d think he’d learned from his Everton experience and grown since Belgium.

Yes, but you can't re-write history and we are where we are

I think it’s the only thing that makes sense, but I think our new MD of Football going after a manager from the Italian league he might have rated in Fonseca was certainly very plausible too.
There's a whole world between liking a manager and discussing it with Levy, and actively chasing a manager, ending in some convoluted reasoning why a journo's claims of certainty fell through.

There's a whole world between liking a manager and discussing it with Levy, and actively chasing a manager, ending in some convoluted reasoning why a journo's claims of certainty fell through.

I think you’re stretching a lot to try and make the club seem like it’s totally in control and all going swimmingly with respect to this search.

If our plan is to wait out the Euros, who is it for? Why it is worth it? What confidence does it give you about where we are heading?

I think you’re stretching a lot to try and make the club seem like it’s totally in control and all going swimmingly with respect to this search.

If our plan is to wait out the Euros, who is it for? Why it is worth it? What confidence does it give you about where we are heading?
I don't know the answer to any of that, I just think it's at least as likely as any of the nonsense we've been reading from people with space to fill and nothing with which to fill it.

Plenty of independent minded people (especially on this forum) spend time ridiculing the simple minded folk who believe all the nonsense they read in the press. I'm fairly sure you've been part of that.

I see no difference to change my approach to their frantic scrawling simply because it's about our potential managerial candidates.

Whether there's any truth in it or not

In in the #notonuno camp and #notomason whole I'm at it.

Pity there's no #nototottenham.

I like Martinez but in the PL he could never organise a defence, unless that's changed then we'll have the same problem we do now.

Feels like we've had so many disappointments people are desperate for anyone now but we can't be happy with Nuno surely.

He was about to sign as Crystal Palace manager a week ago. Which according to how things are working out means there's a chance Roy Hodgeson is our man.

but we can't be happy with Nuno surely.

As I said earlier, I'm not sure that there is a huge difference between any of the remaining candidates.

So unless levy brings in someone who is demonstrably better than the names mentioned at the moment, I'd favour certianty over another month of dilly-dallying

Like everyone else on here i have no idea what the plan is, however unlike s ome on here i am not going to lose my brick because of s ome T w ATTer nonsense.

The thing is..time has been passing. Certain obvious candidates we might have approached and that might have been excellent fits have been and gone. It’s no longer credible to claim its all going exactly as we planned and that we are just biding our time before the big reveal.

You can take comfort in not getting worked up over certain names but time has been passing. I think most people aren’t so much getting worked up over certain names from journalists as they are concerned with how long this search has been taking and how few genuinely proven candidates there now seems to be.

Even if we want to say we haven’t spoken to any of the ones we’ve been strongly linked with, and it’s all in control, all part of the plan, it just isn’t credible. If it was a club manager, it would be understandable to wait until the end of the season. If it was a free agent, it would have been done by now. If we needed Paratici in before announcing it, he’s been announced himself for a while now so that isn’t an issue. It’s probably a Euros coach. And I think it’s understandable that most people would be concerned that we’ve gone from being in the Champions League final and regular participants, on the cusp of really establishing ourselves at the top table, to seemingly not being able to attract a proven manager at the level we are and aspire to be.

Time has been passing. Other plausible explanations that would explain some of this away in the club’s favour have passed.

Just want to make clear that I won’t be taking a rumour about Nuno at all seriously until it’s reported by someone with closer links to the club than Talksport.
And yet you believe Romano, or anyone retweeting Romano.
A shyster that has got nothing right yet.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we’ve already had discussions with Martinez and he just didn’t want to commit to anything / have anything announced before the tournament if it would serve as a distraction.

So if we have had discussions with Martinez why have these reporters with club connections not reported it?

I've seen no one on this forum claim that the manager search is going well and is in control.

And yet you believe Romano, or anyone retweeting Romano.
A shyster that has got nothing right yet.

So if we have had discussions with Martinez why have these reporters with club connections not reported it?

I've seen no one on this forum claim that the manager search is going well and is in control.

First point - I’ve literally never put Romano in the top tier of journalists I’m saying should be trusted. I’m sure he has some access to the game in a general sense but for Spurs, as I’ve said repeatedly, it’s Gold, KP, JPB. Romano would be a tier below that.

Second point - maybe because the club hasn’t fed Martinez to them? I think you may misunderstand me, I’m not saying these journalists are in the room. I’m saying the club will feed them what they want to shape perceptions and manage agendas. If it’s the case that Martinez didn’t want something to be seen as a done deal before Belgium finished at the Euros, the club wouldn’t be feeding his name out?

Third point - maybe you and I don’t actually disagree on much in this debate then! I thought the implication of saying ‘people are getting worked up over rubbish on Twitter’ is to say we shouldn’t be getting worked up. And not getting worked up would suggest that things are fine. If things are not fine, the fan base has every right to feel frustrated. Maybe we shouldn’t be getting worked up because it’s a different basket of cheap free agent candidates that are available, that just haven’t been mentioned yet? Because it probably isn’t a club guy at this point.

Last edited:
Back