• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

I’m happy with Conte

I just don’t see how you go from Potter/Parker/ETH etc to Conte.

Worst thing to happen was that this all leaked. Conte will be on the back foot from the start, if PSG didn’t want to get rid, why should they.
There is no doubt Conte is a brilliant manager. But his last two appointments have ended after he has fallen out with his bosses.

A Conte appointment will be so reminiscent of the Jose one. I wouldn't want to go there again.

Yes. Of course he will. What an exciting moment that will be for you.

For the rest of us, the thrill will come when Conte has made his commitment and Spurs signal the world that he's ours:

white_smoke_2.jpg

Do you just sack the manager without a plan B?
If there was it was ineffective.
If this drags on further, I can see the transfer committee starting the overhaul of the squad and the new manager coming in struggling to fit them in. It's happened before, it's in spurs dna haha.
What just on this point? Levy doesn't act quick enough to help the team. When he does have an input for matters on the pitch its usually detrimental.

Lets be honest Jol or Pochettino were not his first choice and got a little lucky the way things unfolded. Our transfers since he started have been a travesty with a few shining lights.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Just reading Ally Gold's piece on Conte from tonight. Seems its close to a done deal. I'm disappointed in Levy. Not for getting Conte, assuming that happens, he's a great appointment.

I'm disappointed in Levy because Poch was his preferred candidate and he was put off by PSGs determination to keep him. How often have we seen this with transfers in and out. We take a stance and we don't get what we say we want.

Poch and Conte are both great managers but very different managers. To so strongly prefer one, if Gold is to be believed, and give up on him over a few million quid for someone very different leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I know it's easy for me to say because it's not my money but sometimes you have to take a fudging risk and just stump up the cash. That sort of flimflam fudged Poch's first reign in my opinion. Only Tottenham could turn a great appointment like Conte a bit sour.

My faith in Levy was once unshakable. I'm now starting to doubt him.

I think being opportunistic is fine when it comes to competing at the top level. There are only so many managers who can operate at this level, so if a proven one comes at you for free, versus one that may cost you £10m+, I see why he did it.

I don't know if I agree with it, but I see why. So much depends on how much Conte will be backed, whether he can succeed without having the most money in the league, and whether the type of player he wants will still be useful for us after he is gone. If it's more Reguillon type signings, they probably will be. If it's Zappacostas, probably not.

So, as always, it will come down to whether we actually set a manager up for success or not. In many ways the job he did at Inter suggests he can get a bunch of players that haven't won many big prizes before to come together and get over the line. OTOH, it didn't look like there were many other clubs paying £80m for a striker or £40m for a right back, so he was clearly well backed, and it seemed like they really went for it to win a trophy and now need to balance the books...

I don't know. I could see the argument for Jose even though I didn't agree with it. And same here, can see the argument even though there's lots of things we need to be sure about, if he's going to have a chance of succeeding.

I do see the points people are making around how we don't look like we have an actual plan. The whole thing about Spurs DNA just does not make sense with this. It clearly wasn't the hire expected to be made when sacking Jose. So it means we have genuinely just decided to see what options came at us, and we probably think we are getting lucky right now.

Maybe this is what football is now...you try and recruit the best people possible to help you run at the season, and that is that. I'm still unsure as to whether Conte's system and personality is enough to over-ride the relative lack of financial power, but it will at least be intriguing.

Misdirection a basic PR strategy.

The deflection here is shift focus from management e.g. Transfer committee who are equally responsible for the stuff written there.

The cycle will repeat itself. Levy can't see the truth past those that work with him directly.
I don't get this DNA thing. Our DNA should be to win. If we have the most talented attacking players we outscore our opponents. If we have the most talented defensive players, we win by not conceding. I don't think we buy players based on the club's "DNA." We buy them to fit whatever system the manager at the time is employing.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I do see the points people are making around how we don't look like we have an actual plan. The whole thing about Spurs DNA just does not make sense with Derp It clearly wasn't the hire expected to be made when sacking Jose. So it means we have genuinely just decided to see what options came at us, and we probably think we are getting lucky right now.

Maybe this is what football is now...you try and recruit the best people possible to help you run at the season, and that is that. I'm still unsure as to whether Conte's system and personality is enough to over-ride the relative lack of financial power, but it will at least be intriguing.

If it all works out, we are ultimately kicking our current problems down the road to sort out in 3 seasons.
Conte is so demanding though that I just can't see him lasting past two windows.

This isn't Mourinho. Mourinho knew he was in the last chance saloon.
Mourinho had to behave with Levy or else end up on Talksport and Roma.
Conte could leave us at any moment and end up at Juve or PSG.

why not ? Conte arriving with such a reputation might signal a change in how levy sees footballing matters should be handled.
though i think our fans are part of the problem - that we're support spurs to fulfill our needs for romanticism/idealism needs and forget what it takes to win. not sure if it matters to levy or the board though. So long as the financials work out to their expectations, they will support.

If it all works out, we are ultimately kicking our current problems down the road to sort out in 3 seasons.
Conte is so demanding though that I just can't see him lasting past two windows.

This isn't Mourinho. Mourinho knew he was in the last chance saloon.
Mourinho had to behave with Levy or else end up on Talksport and Roma.
Conte could leave us at any moment and end up at Juve or PSG.

Prepare...I think this is on point.

Just reading Ally Gold's piece on Conte from tonight. Seems its close to a done deal. I'm disappointed in Levy. Not for getting Conte, assuming that happens, he's a great appointment.

I'm disappointed in Levy because Poch was his preferred candidate and he was put off by PSGs determination to keep him. How often have we seen this with transfers in and out. We take a stance and we don't get what we say we want.

Poch and Conte are both great managers but very different managers. To so strongly prefer one, if Gold is to be believed, and give up on him over a few million quid for someone very different leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I know it's easy for me to say because it's not my money but sometimes you have to take a fudging risk and just stump up the cash. That sort of flimflam fudged Poch's first reign in my opinion. Only Tottenham could turn a great appointment like Conte a bit sour.

My faith in Levy was once unshakable. I'm now starting to doubt him.

Money is no object to PSG. A contract is binding and if Poch is not minded to agitate for a move, we can not wait around.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Can anyone remember any other example of a club wanting a manager, the manager wanting to move but their current club not letting them leave?

Back