• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Would you blame poch for not wanting to come back to spurs in their current state? About to lose Kane, limited transfer budget due to corona and stadium debt ...

If I was him I'd stay well clear and wait until the time is right. If he came then Levy would have no more cards to deal in regards to getting the fans back on side as he would ultimately fail with the current set up.

I think whoever we get in is a sitting duck and we will only progress if we are lucky.

Liverpool look like they will invest and with key players coming back

Man United will spend money again to back ole after his turn around

Chelsea will be Chelsea

Emirates Marketing Project will have kane and be untouchable

Leicester look settled

West Ham are quite decent these days

Arsenal will have some good youngsters back into their first team and probably strengthen in key areas.

We are not going to get anywhere close to the top four with our current crop. I can't see Levy splashing the cash required to buy quality players that the manager needs. So the coach will have to punch well above. Start with the current backline, we may as well have kept mourinho.

Any manager coming in is going to get paid to be Levys spacegoat for the slaughter.

Conte is the perfect madman who will kick up a fuss with Levy and ultimately be shown the door, Levy will get some sympathy and in essence some more time to calm the situation and get Poch in next time around.

Hopefully by that time Levy will have realised that this could very be his last manager at the club.

Last edited:
Martin Jol to Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Poch to Madrid.

Don't remember Martin Jol's case, though a quick Google shows he resigned from Ajax and was linked with Saudi Sportswashing Machine?

Poch to Madrid was never more than just media speculation?

Ridiculous planning if true.
Why? Conte puts a rocket up the players' arse, maybe even gets them to win something, then Poch comes in to a club whose mentality has progressed since he was last there and continues his work.

Make no mistake, Conte isn't Jose. Short term coach perhaps, but that's where the similarities probably end.

The issue here, as I see it anyway, is leanadro at psg.
He has too much control at the club and none of the really big managers will go there.
Conte and ZZ would and should be in contention for that job over poch, but neither will take it unless they get some influence over leanadro.
I suspect we are pursuing Conte to move things in a certain direction.
If we don't get poch it will be ETH, imho.

Would you blame poch for not wanting to come back to spurs in their current state? About to lose Kane, limited transfer budget due to corona and stadium debt ...

By all accounts, he did want to come back. Leaks were clearly coming from his camp as well as ours. It just looks like the deal was too difficult to get over the line this time.

The stadium debt doesn't have an impact on transfer budget. The debt is all long term, at very low interest rates and we only pay interest for the first 15 years.

Covid will have impacted us, as it has most clubs, but the loan we took out last week covers that and gives us some transfer funds. We are in a very good place compared to everybody but the oil doped clubs.

.. . Levy would have no more cards to deal in regards to getting the fans back on side as he would ultimately fail with the current set up...

... Hopefully by that time Levy will have realised that this could very be his last manager at the club.

Every master criminal makes one fatal mistake, and Levy’s was conferring the right to sack him on the secondary customers of the business he co-owns.

Oh, no, wait, he didn’t do that.

Levy can stumble from blundered appointment to lucky throw of the managerial dice to blundered appointment until he and Lewis sell to another investor.

Why? Conte puts a rocket up the players' arse, maybe even gets them to win something, then Poch comes in to a club whose mentality has progressed since he was last there and continues his work.

Make no mistake, Conte isn't Jose. Short term coach perhaps, but that's where the similarities probably end.

As mentioned elsewhere, I have no issue with conte, I’m happy with him.
But we’ve gone from hunting 1 style of manager and appointing another.

Another plus in my eyes is that it'll be the end of

'The game has passed him by'
'He's a coaching dinosaur on decline'
'Shattered (insert players here) confidence'
'Not representing our club correctly'
'Not getting the best out of (insert player here)'
'Anti-football'
'It's not the players who have downed tools under 3 coaches fault its....'
'Under another manager (insert player here) would be........'
'Doesn't understand the modern game'

This could actually be a thread itself

Can anyone remember any other example of a club wanting a manager, the manager wanting to move but their current club not letting them leave?

I reckon all this Poch stuff was made up, not really seen any good sources confirming it nor any quotes from anyone connected. We might have made a discrete enquiry at most but I'm guessing that was as far as it went.

By all accounts, he did want to come back. Leaks were clearly coming from his camp as well as ours. It just looks like the deal was too difficult to get over the line this time.

The stadium debt doesn't have an impact on transfer budget. The debt is all long term, at very low interest rates and we only pay interest for the first 15 years.

Covid will have impacted us, as it has most clubs, but the loan we took out last week covers that and gives us some transfer funds. We are in a very good place compared to everybody but the oil doped clubs.

I believe in most countries where slavery has been abolished, you have a right to resign from your job. There may be a couple of weeks of notice to serve, but that's about it. Rules are slightly different in football, but who'd keep a manager who's handed in his resignation? So if he really wanted to move back to Spurs, all he had to do was resign from his job. Regardless of contractual details (assuming they include penalties in this case) it would have been enough to force a move. You can't afford to have a want-away manager at this level.

Coming back here would have been a professional suicide, anyway. What other club would ever appoint him in the future, if he resigns from a top job six months after coming in? He has to be sacked if he wants to stay in the game.

I believe in most countries where slavery has been abolished, you have a right to resign from your job. There may be a couple of weeks of notice to serve, but that's about it. Rules are slightly different in football, but who'd keep a manager who's handed in his resignation? So if he really wanted to move back to Spurs, all he had to do was resign from his job. Regardless of contractual details (assuming they include penalties in this case) it would have been enough to force a move. You can't afford to have a want-away manager at this level.

Coming back here would have been a professional suicide, anyway. What other club would ever appoint him in the future, if he resigns from a top job six months after coming in? He has to be sacked if he wants to stay in the game.

You need to read up on your EU laws

- 3 months is minimum on resigning in most EU countries
- +additional time based on your tenure

I was working a gig in Europe where had I resigned I would have needed to give 9 months notice, last two people I have hired in Europe I had to wait the 3 months to get them onboard.

If Pochettino had come back so quickly it would’ve been a most strange move for all concerned.
I voted for Conte mainly because of the timescales.

PSG could've held him to his contract, even if they replaced him as coach. We know that Poch is funny about contracts. GHod knows what has gone on behind closed doors. If PSG had dug their heels in, the only way to resolve it would be the courts and that doesn't suit anyone.

Yeah, I think this is fair. I can see Kane going 'fair fudges, this shows ambition'. And I can see Conte saying to Kane 'don't be a pussy, work under me and let's bloody some fudging noses'.

It's definitely opportunistic. But I guess the thing is about being a top club at the top level is once you're here, there are only so many managers that can really handle it, know what is like to manage a squad in the league and in Europe, and know how to get results. So maybe opportunism is part and parcel of it. I have a slight concern that Conte will need funds we can't provide, throw a fit and flame out, but I also think he's probably more suited style wise to us than Jose was. Less about intuition, more about helping good players get over the line through rehearsed patterns and a system that works. That feels like what we need. And hopefully this is enough to over-ride the fact that we won't have the most money. Because if we keep on looking for short term jolt to short term jolt, I fear we're going to keep batting at a par of 6th or 7th if it doesn't work out.

So hopefully Conte's personality shakes up the players that have gotten way too comfortable, and his system means we win something. If so, it will be a good move. And it won't be the romance of Poch, but this is a manager in his prime, who has won trophies everywhere he has been, and he clearly believes he can do it here.

And frankly, it shoves in my face any criticism I had of Levy and ENIC not having the pitch or a project to attract a top manager. It seems like we would have gotten Poch if PSG let him go, and we are getting Conte. So our place and our standing in the game is strong. Conte is a proven winner and a step up in calibre from Potter but even ETH. If it's to be 2 or 3 years, let's hope it's a 2 or 3 years to remember.

It is never dull under Levy. I don't think anyone could call him meek or standoffish. He's always ready to try the next thing. Who knows whether a Potter type might have been a better appointment long-term, we just don't know. But like you say we have a 'big club' tag now which demands a name. Cote ticks that box and I think could compliment Levy.

The downside is how long it takes for Conte to get up to speed with the squad. Poch would have watched plenty of our games and know most players in great detail, so he could have hit the ground running. Hopefully Conte is watching all our games back to see what the players are capable of. Step 1 will be to sort our backline. It totally undermined Mourinho, and we don't want it to do the same again. After that, can Conte build an effective midfield from our talented rabble? Mourinho wasn't able to. Conte has Skipp too, and should be able to craft a decent midfield unit. I'm not sure the midfield players knew their jobs too well under Mourinho. That will be a big change for the better.

So if Conte and the club can miraculously sort our backline and keep Kane, I think we can prosper. A big ask to drop into a club, re-do its defense overnight and hit the ground running. But if anyone can...Conte can.

I guess if we are serious about this there must be a pot of money to spend like 150m before outgoings.

If that’s the case then this might just work.

If there is a pot of money I’d still prefer poch but would have conte as second choice over the ten hags, rodgers of this world etc.

If there is no pot of money then I’m not sure what we are doing tbh.

Why would you think there is a pot of £150m? He spent net €20m at inter last summer.

If it was the other way round and our manager/player walked out on a contract we would be demanding action to be taken.

If PSG didn’t want to lose him, why should they?
For this reason I never really believed we were going to get him and I didn’t vote for him even though I love the guy. But I’ll be damned if I know who is suitable anymore. For any manager to succeed we need a different approach.

Back