• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

I can see that your main objection is them being slow, which is true to a certain degree. Maybe that's why there are 3 of them, to provide imediate cover if one is outpaced. It worked like a charm and with fast WBs, the danger is even less. Just a theory.
It's more because the Italian league is geared to deep defending

I don't think any of them would really convert to higher EPL lines

I'm not convinced by any of Inter's CBs

- de Vrij is the best, but is pushing 30 now
- Skriniar has the pace and turning circle of an oil tanker
- Bastoni is the most promising - he's cultured and left sided, but is also very slow
Conte was trying to sell Skriniar and bring in Milenkovic from Fiorentina last year at Inter.

We've got £75m left over after we repay the Bank of England Covid loan from the refinancing last week. I think that we'll use that and the rest will come from player sales.
That depends on whether our cash flow suffered even more than that (zero events and CL to Euro Minnows bowl).

Just reading Ally Gold's piece on Conte from tonight. Seems its close to a done deal. I'm disappointed in Levy. Not for getting Conte, assuming that happens, he's a great appointment.

I'm disappointed in Levy because Poch was his preferred candidate and he was put off by PSGs determination to keep him. How often have we seen this with transfers in and out. We take a stance and we don't get what we say we want.

Poch and Conte are both great managers but very different managers. To so strongly prefer one, if Gold is to be believed, and give up on him over a few million quid for someone very different leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I know it's easy for me to say because it's not my money but sometimes you have to take a fudging risk and just stump up the cash. That sort of flimflam fudged Poch's first reign in my opinion. Only Tottenham could turn a great appointment like Conte a bit sour.

My faith in Levy was once unshakable. I'm now starting to doubt him.

That depends on whether our cash flow suffered even more than that (zero events and CL to Euro Minnows bowl).

I believe that we were forecast to make a £200m loss, so most of it is covered by that. Lots of clubs are in a far worse position than us, so it will be a good summer to buy, if we have funds.

I'm disappointed in Levy because Poch was his preferred candidate and he was put off by PSGs determination to keep him. How often have we seen this with transfers in and out. We take a stance and we don't get what we say we want.

We don't know that he was put off, maybe the deal was just too difficult to get over the line. I don't think that there is anything wrong with have a list of targets and trying for several before finalising on one. My only criticism would be that their styles of play are so different and what they need in a squad is different too. It's the lack of long term strategy that disappoints, not the appointment.

Just reading Ally Gold's piece on Conte from tonight. Seems its close to a done deal. I'm disappointed in Levy. Not for getting Conte, assuming that happens, he's a great appointment.

Poch and Conte are both great managers but very different managers. To so strongly prefer one, if Gold is to be believed, and give up on him over a few million quid for someone very different leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I know it's easy for me to say because it's not my money but sometimes you have to take a fudging risk and just stump up the cash. That sort of flimflam fudged Poch's first reign in my opinion. Only Tottenham could turn a great appointment like Conte a bit sour.

I wouldn't be so sure.

I had heard that these two were nailed on, then the Real Madrid job came up and the thought was Conte might have his head turned. We will never know for sure what is happening/has happened, but I think the smokescreen element here has been immense in one direction or the other. I cannot see how this helps Poch at all though, and do wonder if somewhere in this shuffle (maybe two years down the line) the dance happens again with full fruition?

I still think the conte stuff is just games with Psg at the moment

I'm not sure if conte is even tennable now that everyone knows he'd effectively just be Poch's caretaker from the outset

I wouldn't be so sure.

I had heard that these two were nailed on, then the Real Madrid job came up and the thought was Conte might have his head turned. We will never know for sure what is happening/has happened, but I think the smokescreen element here has been immense in one direction or the other. I cannot see how this helps Poch at all though, and do wonder if somewhere in this shuffle (maybe two years down the line) the dance happens again with full fruition?

It'll be time for another project after Conte. He is another short term appointment.

I believe that we were forecast to make a £200m loss, so most of it is covered by that. Lots of clubs are in a far worse position than us, so it will be a good summer to buy, if we have funds.
With our (absolutely huge) debt mountain, I fear that we don’t.

My issue in all this is that we sacked Jose without a scooby as to what we would do next.... there is zero direction from the top at this club and yet the CEO earns more than the average salary of a FTSE 100 company CEO.

It'll be time for another project after Conte. He is another short term appointment.
That's no good if we've spent £200m on counter attacking players that subsequent progressive coaches can't utilise

Poch's caretaker ideally needs to be Poch-like in style of play

Most managers only last at a club 2-3 years now, so I don't get this "it's a short term appointment". Also being Poch's caretaker is a load of crap.
If he does well he's not going to be sacked, if he does poorly he'll be sacked, the same as any manager.
Hmmmm.... We’ve had a number of managers sacked after over achieving... Though I do doubt that Conte will leave the club through anything other than his own choice

My issue in all this is that we sacked Jose without a scooby as to what we would do next.... there is zero direction from the top at this club and yet the CEO earns more than the average salary of a FTSE 100 company CEO.

A lot of what I see points to the situation being untenably toxic under Jose. If it wasn't I'd agree with you but looking at the situation and Jose's track record, I'd give Levy the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Back