• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
If we end up with Ange it would be very disappointing. He's much of nothing. Not overly exciting football, not done anything remotely exciting or unexpected, not young, not any new or radical ideas. He's not well connected around in Europe either, so no chance of bringing players with him (unless CCV and Hart is the level).
He's basically Nuno with more attacking football. It won't end good, and it will end. Sooner rather than later.

It’s funny how these sorts of things are carbon copies of what Celtic fans said before he joined.

Not doing anything remotely exiting or unexpected? Winning the Asian Cup was an incredible achievement. You may let your ignorance of football outside of England / Europe may tell you otherwise, but it was an incredible achievement.

Funnily enough, playing up front for South Korea in the final, scoring the last minute equaliser to send it to extra time? Sonny.

Last edited:
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news...nge-premiership-pub-league-narrative-england/

From a decent Scottish newspaper, well in comparison.
I think he could do very well here, in relative terms, rather unusually i know several die hard rangers fans who respect him.
As a person he fits our profile, no clue as a manager tbh.

For all those who talk about the “pub league”, this is worth a read.

I find it funny that in the current predicament, someone who’s been successful everywhere he goes whilst playing attacking football is so below us. Because he’s an Aussie in Scotland?

In one breath people acknowledge that going for high-reputation managers hasn’t worked for us, then in another completely dismiss out of hand the idea of a manager because they don’t know anything about them.

You probably didn’t know who De Zerbi was 9 months ago. You probably didn’t know who Slot was 3 months ago. Those leagues might have a bigger reputation but this idea of “can he handle the step up” very much applies.

As Ange talks about it in that article:

The stick with which Scottish football is eternally beaten with south of the border is anyone could win the league with Celtic, interspersed with ramblings about a ‘pub league’.

It will not shock you to learn Postecoglou does not subscribe to that particularly monotonous narrative.

"To be fair you guys did that with what I did in Japan and what I did in Australia,” Postecoglou quipped. “That’s just the nature of football. Everyone thinks that where they are is the centre of the universe. It’s not something that has bothered me, either people see what I do or they don’t.

“If they want to find a reason to dismiss the success, whether that’s here or Japan or Australia, then they will find that reason.

“Or, you could look at it and say every league is a competition and you’ve still got to beat the other teams to be champions. The one thing I’ve learned is that the Scottish league isn’t an easy league.

“I keep preferring to Gio (van Bronckhorst). Gio won the league with Feyenoord, then got to a Europa League final with Rangers and won a Scottish Cup Final and finished second in the league. And he gets the sack.

“People don’t understand the sort of pressure that exists here for Rangers and ourselves.

“That’s pretty unique and the effect of that is that every week you are facing an opponent who sees you as a big scalp. And if you are off it, as we have been for the last couple of weeks, that’s what happens.”

As much as I think Ange is the right man, I’m not really bothered if it’s not him. What I want is someone of his profile; enjoyable football, able to bring the club together, stick up for his club and his players in public and give us some love for THFC again.

Last edited:
For all those who talk about the “pub league”, this is worth a read.

I find it funny that in the current predicament, someone who’s been successful everywhere he goes whilst playing attacking football is so below us. Because he’s an Aussie in Scotland?

In one breath people acknowledge that going for high-reputation managers hasn’t worked for us, then in another completely dismiss out of hand the idea of a manager because they don’t know anything about them.

You probably didn’t know who De Zerbi was 9 months ago. You probably didn’t know who Slot was 3 months ago. Those leagues might have a bigger reputation but this idea of “can he handle the step up” very much applies.

As Ange talks about it in that article:

As much as I think Ange is the right man, I’m not really bothered if it’s not him. What I want is someone of his profile; enjoyable football, able to bring the club together, stick up for his club and his players in public and give us some love for THFC again.

Anyone dismissing Ange is wildly delusional about where Spurs are at the moment.

De Zerbi isn’t batting anywhere near that average, he’s had a solid season whilst others have had bad ones.

Poch and Redknapp had exceptional squads that were worth far more than we paid for them, in a time when there wasn’t as much money sloshing around the PL, putting together a team that smashes the rest of the league now would take unprecedented levels of investment.

Poch benefitted from having the best striker on the planet come up from the youth team and Harry benefitted from having one the greatest attacking players the game has ever seen signed previously by Jol.

Both managers did an incredible job for a time, but that’s two generational talents, who are in anyone’s greatest all time 11, that’s unlikely to happen again for sometime.

In Redknapp’s case I think you need to add Modric, possibly one of the best midfielders in the world.

It definitely seems to come across that way at times. Want a De Zerbi, want to be like a Brighton and uncover relevant players and staff, don't wanna be the club that takes the same risks these club make uncovering talented people regardless where they come from. Its the same with players "why don't we uncover a Mitoma".....followed by "who" or "well we have cheapened out on that player" when we try. I think people would be disingenuous if they think people would not have sneered at taking a Shaktar boss a year ago.

Its widely less important on where a manager comes from than a player, we are not asking him to come here and defend against Haaland or score 30 goals from coming from the Icelandic league, its about management of people and the ability to translate your philosophy into the players, that can be replicated IMO regardless of league,

Last edited:
Anyone dismissing Ange is wildly delusional about where Spurs are at the moment.
I know you like to be all negative at the moment and claim we can only hope for 6-8th place and why would any top manager be interested in us and obviously you are entitled to your opinion.

But firstly, if you do want to believe what the media says (I don't hold much weight with what they say but there usually is at least some form of truth to it) Nagelsman was happy to talk to us and it was only that he wanted certain things in place that has stalled us getting him - not that we aren't a good enough opportunity for him.

Additionally some are talking on here as if we need some all singing all dancing manager, the second coming of Pep. We have a lot of talent in every position except CB and GK. The best football I have seen us play to date is under Redknapp, was there anything particularly special about him? Nope. But he was capable of bringing a squad together in harmony, good vibes and played attacking football. Football is still a relatively simple game no matter how much some like to try and paint this complex picture of the modern game. Ange has these qualities as no doubt do a number of other coaches. Recruit one of them, along with a good GK and CB and I have no doubt we will be back competing for the CL spots again.

Things change so quickly in football, it's been a bad season but it happens to the best of them. Once the season ends, hopefully things move quickly and we can all look forward to more positive times....

We have a very capable squad, who is seriously underperforming. The squad is better than a lot of teams above us. Need a GK and preferably 2 CB's and a creative midfielder. There's lots of talent there, and a good mix of youth and experience.

Which ones out of interest?

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Brenda is less of a punt than angie... I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I might prefer brenda

It’s funny how these sorts of things are carbon copies of what Celtic fans said before he joined.

Not doing anything remotely exiting or unexpected? Winning the Asian Cup was an incredible achievement. You may let your ignorance of football outside of England / Europe may tell you otherwise, but it was an incredible achievement.

Funnily enough, playing up front for South Korea in the final, scoring the last minute equaliser to send it to extra time? Sonny.
Well, we should rather focus on getting Kjetil Knutsen then. Because he really knows how to build teams. He's taken Bodø Glimt, a nobody in Norwegian football, to become totally dominant.

He absolutely schooled Ange and celtic, home and away in the conference league, winning 2-0 at home, and 3-1 at celtic park. Celtic had absolutely no chance, and their budget is about 10 times that of Bodø glimt!

They also beat Mourinho and Roma 6-1 at home, in the group stage, and drew away, and won again at home in the knockout stage.

Celtic have done fuxk all in Europe, playing against teams they really should beat.. So no, I really don't rate Ange, and I'm pretty positive he wouldn't last long.

Well, we should rather focus on getting Kjetil Knutsen then. Because he really knows how to build teams. He's taken Bodø Glimt, a nobody in Norwegian football, to become totally dominant.

He absolutely schooled Ange and celtic, home and away in the conference league, winning 2-0 at home, and 3-1 at celtic park. Celtic had absolutely no chance, and their budget is about 10 times that of Bodø glimt!

They also beat Mourinho and Roma 6-1 at home, in the group stage, and drew away, and won again at home in the knockout stage.

Celtic have done fuxk all in Europe, playing against teams they really should beat.. So no, I really don't rate Ange, and I'm pretty positive he wouldn't last long.
See
Your selling a manager I’ve never heard of with genuine reference points

ange may well be great but I’ve not heard anyone say he did this or that in comparison to another man…

I do know he has his Celtic side walking the Scottish league. That’s unfortunately standard there though so not a high bar.

I didn’t know about the Asian cup but again I can’t relate that to anything as a reference

I want someone to throw something into the mix that is setting a new bar

Last edited:

We don’t need some Norwegian fudging nobody. Next.

Brenda is less of a punt than angie... I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I might prefer brenda

I had a read of a few Celtic forums yesterday and watched some YouTube things about Ange, his tactics, the way they play etc

I can’t see that Rodgers would be better than Ange given that Rodgers has so much of the fan base against him already. Somewhat doomed from the start

Ange is undoubtedly a gamble but at least he plays attacking football and has charisma Will seems like it makes players want to play for him and makes fans take to him too.

And whereas Rodgers starts with negative opinions from fans, I think Ange starts from a neutral position so easier for him to win people over. Similar to how Poch and Jol started from a neutral position

Also saw that Sporting Lisbon look like finishing 4th in the 3-team Portuguese league so along with his €20m release clause, that rules him out in my view

What is their playing style like?

Back