• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
I think we as club need a clear definition of what success is.
I have no problem whatsoever with managers like nuno or ange p if the club admit that we are aiming for top six and possibly a domestic cup now and again.
Should it be a poch, nagelsman or slot and we are looking for a squad build to achieve top four regularly and sometime in the future seriously challenge for CL and PL titles, fine.
Even a conte or jose with a pot of cash and a quick cup win is ok.
But the plan, the manager and the set up need to match with the aspirations, and i really don't think they have done, not since probably Redknapp's time.

Yeah, but I dont think you'll get that publicly from the club other than some loose wording around being competitive. You certainly wouldnt get them saying that we're aiming for the top 6.

There's also a difference I think between short-term (ie next season) goals and ongoing. The short-term goal in my view is to get the bloated playing squad down, sort out the imbalances and problems in it, bring some pride and passion back to the club and put us in a position to then start to move back up. I think you need to do those next year and then hope to challenge for the top 4 the year after

I have no problem whatsoever with managers like nuno or ange p if the club admit that we are aiming for top six and possibly a domestic cup now and again.
Should it be a poch, nagelsman or slot and we are looking for a squad build to achieve top four regularly and sometime in the future seriously challenge for CL and PL titles, fine.
But the plan, the manager and the set up need to match with the aspirations, and i really don't think they have done, not since probably Redknapp's time.

I think its more a case of applying the plan now. If I piece together Levys last two statements I think we have a clear idea of what we want, maybe a less than clear moment in time to know how its going to look, maybe.

I agree with the comments about managers and despite the sneering at the idea I would take a Lopetegui if the plan as you rightly say was all in place to a definitive goal. We most certainly need more joined up thinking, the idea we need a high profile manager now when we clearly don't have the stature within the CL or the revenue that comes with is not joined up, thats another reason I am not overly upset not to be linked with managers of the Conte or Jose level.

We all live off faith, mine is that we get these bloody appointments right this summer hahah....shoot me now

Ange would not accept top 6 he would want to win to the league. he is very driven he won't accept 2nd best. I really hope we get him.

Interesting view from old Saggyface. However linked with his point, one thing I've reflected on over the last day or so as the field seems to be shrinking, is that in my view its probably more important for the club to appoint an exciting manager next than a successful one. We've had 4 years of dreadful football which has turned fans away or made us numb or apathetic. On the back of that, appointing a tactically smart but attack/defense balanced manager next or a predominantly possession based coach (say Enrique) I dont think repairs things. Levy needs to get some pride and passion back into the club and team with the next appointment, and then stick with them for a period.

So someone in the Nagelsmann/Poch/Slot mould whose teams play with some pace and on the front foot has to be right. I dont know whether that definitely means Ange or who the alternatives are though....
If the new manager isn’t successful (which IMO at Spurs is finishing in the top 6 or 7) then the chairman will sack him. Probably before the manager actually finishes outside of the top 6 but earlier in the season when it looks like they might.

This is a video that's been around for a bit and is only a very small snippet, but a good little insight to how he wants to play.

"If we lose the ball I fudging want us to win it back."

Edit: a couple of others that give a little bit of insight. Partly shows why he's so revered in Australian football.

One I've posted before:

The part about moving the ball fast being first for him, GHod we need that regardless who it is. We must be one of the slowest in transition of the ball in the last 5 years. Too many holding the ball for too long

The part about moving the ball fast being first for him, GHod we need that regardless who it is. We must be one of the slowest in transition of the ball in the last 5 years. Too many holding the ball for too long

Yes, I liked that video too.

We all know we need another No 8 like Bentancur or no 10, or possibly two so that we have some depth

Yeah, but I dont think you'll get that publicly from the club other than some loose wording around being competitive. You certainly wouldnt get them saying that we're aiming for the top 6.

There's also a difference I think between short-term (ie next season) goals and ongoing. The short-term goal in my view is to get the bloated playing squad down, sort out the imbalances and problems in it, bring some pride and passion back to the club and put us in a position to then start to move back up. I think you need to do those next year and then hope to challenge for the top 4 the year after

Will the manager and or dof who culls the squad be the same one that builds it.
Going on recent events i can a dip in form being blamed on the wrong players leaving giving us an unbalanced squad for the current manager, he gets binned and we start again.
This seems to be the never ending cycle we have got ourselves into.

Will the manager and or dof who culls the squad be the same one that builds it.
Going on recent events i can a dip in form being blamed on the wrong players leaving giving us an unbalanced squad for the current manager, he gets binned and we start again.
This seems to be the never ending cycle we have got ourselves into.

You’d like to think that the two work together but either way we’re chronically lacking in ball players which any manager would want. Plus with 32-36 first team players we need to sell or loan out at least 10 over the summer and that’s even before you factor in a few new signings and upgrades

The most football savy person I know is a Celtic fan, and he's over the moon with their coach, says he couldn't be happier. All out attack against any opposition. Full pelt. "It will be fun, but expect some heavy defeats in the beginning". :)

I'm all aboard the Posti train until he signs a new Celtic contract. :p

Maybe. We spent a decent amount and brought in some of his players. I’m sure he wanted more. His Spurs meltdown wasn’t his first either.

Anyway, that’s getting away from my point about wishing the club could get more control over the narrative of hapless Spurs.
Control of the narrative is natural when things are settled and going as planned ... Like a manager who is using players acquired and shifting players not useful... That's how it always goes in football. Yeah the Internet will spawn all combinations of viewpoints but nothing beats reality being the sane as the narrative. Levy needs to rebalance his priorities (time and money) if he wants to control the narrative on the football side as well as on the non-football side (excellent, I should say).

The most football savy person I know is a Celtic fan, and he's over the moon with their coach, says he couldn't be happier. All out attack against any opposition. Full pelt. "It will be fun, but expect some heavy defeats in the beginning". :)

I'm all aboard the Posti train until he signs a new Celtic contract. :p

Woah hang on, I jumped on that train / bandwagon a couple of pages back, so as I've spent longer wanting him in, that clearly makes me a better fan / person in general. fudging splitter! ;)

On a serious note, if we do get any kind of more progressive coach we probably will get turned over a couple of times early days a la ETH against Brighton but hopefully there'll be enough promise / patience to stick with it which I guess was lacking under the Nuno reign when Conte became available...

Take into account the state of our squad and our lack of resources (due to enics near zero tolerance approach to providing additional funding to support the team) and its clear if enic stay we are on a medium to long term trajectory of ending between 6th and 8th. And that’s assuming things go well!
150m is a long way from zero (well it is in my house:)).
In the last 15 seasons our league finish has averaged 4.7.

Some objective information for the crisis management.

I said near zero tolerance approach and also £150m in the football world over 22 years of ownership is… well use whatever word you like but it wont be a favourable one. Furthermore in 21 of those 22 years there was no outside support. Looks even better now doesn’t it.

I’m not interested in the past I am interested in the future and that 4.7 means zilch when you look at the utter mess the club is in now and how we are positioned moving forward. Yep think I’ll stick with my forecast of 6th to 8th at best in the medium to long term.

I said near zero tolerance approach and also £150m in the football world over 22 years of ownership is… well use whatever word you like but it wont be a favourable one. Furthermore in 21 of those 22 years there was no outside support. Looks even better now doesn’t it.

I’m not interested in the past I am interested in the future and that 4.7 means zilch when you look at the utter mess the club is in now and how we are positioned moving forward. Yep think I’ll stick with my forecast of 6th to 8th at best in the medium to long term.
I tried with some objective information?

As you were.

I was thinking about this a while ago but never calculated the average. For at least 15 years or so we have constantly finished in the top 6 and until this season only Jose's team under Covid finished outside of the top 6. Even the real big boy teams have finished outside the top 6 more often, the difference is they bounce back and win the league or at least some other trophies and that is why winning trophies is important - just about every team save for Emirates Marketing Project are going to have 'off' seasons so it's important when you are on a good streak you collect a trophy or two to have something to show for your efforts.

But when you compare to realistically similar level clubs when ENIC took over ie Aston Villa, Everton, Leeds etc you can see we have made significant strides and demonstrated very good consistency. But as others have said previously, the final step is the most difficult to take.....

Back