• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
I reckon it's got to be either Spalletti or Lopetegui. The way they are both - unprovoked and after success - engineering their way out of their current clubs makes it feel like they have something lined up.

Unless its for a big final pay day (he's mid 60s), I'd imagine Spalleti would be aiming higher than us having just bagged Serie A. I'd also question whether he's right given his age - we need some stability as changing managers every 12-18 months isn't great for our reputation and can't help attract genuinely decent up and comng managers like de Zerbi

Lopetegui, I understand, even if not massively exciting.

We certainly have in the past.

But in this case we have a manager saying there was no interest, we have a result that would have been reached with no interest and the club haven't spoken about any interest. The only logical conclusion is no interest.

And in the case of Slot where the guys run his own PR campaign by publicly saying he wants to leave on a Friday, said he does not want to leave on the Monday and signed a deal on the Tuesday what is there to add? Thats a case where if people can't see that for what it is then you can't wet nurse them

There is an element where people overstate and overreact to stories that are par for the industry, going for managers and players and being rejected is collateral damage, I am sure that those in any club at that level are so battle worn by it that they clearly don't think the same about rejection as fans do.

Harry Redknapp heavily backing Ange.

Interesting view from old Saggyface. However linked with his point, one thing I've reflected on over the last day or so as the field seems to be shrinking, is that in my view its probably more important for the club to appoint an exciting manager next than a successful one. We've had 4 years of dreadful football which has turned fans away or made us numb or apathetic. On the back of that, appointing a tactically smart but attack/defense balanced manager next or a predominantly possession based coach (say Enrique) I dont think repairs things. Levy needs to get some pride and passion back into the club and team with the next appointment, and then stick with them for a period.

So someone in the Nagelsmann/Poch/Slot mould whose teams play with some pace and on the front foot has to be right. I dont know whether that definitely means Ange or who the alternatives are though....

I genuinely don’t mean to be rude buddy but what is the point of a post like this and especially if you have created a whole thread on it elsewhere as you say.

Ultimately it boils down to whether the club briefs certain journos/media outlets from time to time or these alleged occasions of briefing are as you say not true and are just made up.

Some people (who are incredibly naive imo) believe the latter and some believe the former.

Whatever anyone believes on this it certainly isn’t worth doing posts about it let alone a whole thread imo.

So don't post, my opinion, on a board where we all post our opinions? You're not being rude, but you are missing the point of this place. If you don't think the media is a key consideration in our current predicament then you're also missing that point.

The one word in there that i feel sums us up is react.
We start with a plan, we work towards executing that plan and something happens, appears to me that it could be something with little or no impact on our plan, and we either pause to examine this change and lose momentum or we decide to change the plan and persue this new direction.
I see no focused plan, no plan that we have stuck to, no absolutely clear direction on the football side.
Dof, no dof.
Coach/manager/coach.
Black box, algorithm, data, tried that, binned it off, transfer committee.
My impression going on what has happened over the last 10 years is that we looking for a magic bullet, that one last piece to make everything right, we don't know what that piece is, what it looks like or even what it will bring us, but we know we want it.

This is my opinion, its based on what i have observed and taken from the actions of the club of the club over the last 10 years or so and not as seems to be the topic of the day the bad people in press telling us tales.
.....as most clubs are.

Interesting view from old Saggyface. However linked with his point, one thing I've reflected on over the last day or so as the field seems to be shrinking, is that in my view its probably more important for the club to appoint an exciting manager next than a successful one. We've had 4 years of dreadful football which has turned fans away or made us numb or apathetic. On the back of that, appointing a tactically smart but attack/defense balanced manager next or a predominantly possession based coach (say Enrique) I dont think repairs things. Levy needs to get some pride and passion back into the club and team with the next appointment, and then stick with them for a period.

So someone in the Nagelsmann/Poch/Slot mould whose teams play with some pace and on the front foot has to be right. I dont know whether that definitely means Ange or who the alternatives are though....

Sounds like Ange also fits that remit plus he is about our level of manager we can attract.

Take into account the state of our squad and our lack of resources (due to enics near zero tolerance approach to providing additional funding to support the team) and its clear if enic stay we are on a medium to long term trajectory of ending between 6th and 8th. And that’s assuming things go well!

Therefore Ange is about the best we can hope for and on the subject of hope we can only hope he can surprise us all.

And in the case of Slot where the guys run his own PR campaign by publicly saying he wants to leave on a Friday, said he does not want to leave on the Monday and signed a deal on the Tuesday what is there to add? Thats a case where if people can't see that for what it is then you can't wet nurse them

There is an element where people overstate and overreact to stories that are par for the industry, going for managers and players and being rejected is collateral damage, I am sure that those in any club at that level are so battle worn by it that they clearly don't think the same about rejection as fans do.
Desensitised receptors versus hyper sensitized receptors ?

I don't know the personality/background of Ange like @tommysvr does. But having watched a fair bit of Celtic games when they are on tv I was really impressed with how he came in and transformed their playing style. Yes I know, it's the Scottish league blah blah but he got them playing a really attractive style of football and it didn't take long for it to be implemented.

In the real footballing world rather than the armchair fans bubble, he seems to be very well respected so whilst he might not excite many on here I don't doubt he would do well and at the very least enable us to enjoy watching our team play again....

This is a video that's been around for a bit and is only a very small snippet, but a good little insight to how he wants to play.

"If we lose the ball I fudging want us to win it back."

Edit: a couple of others that give a little bit of insight. Partly shows why he's so revered in Australian football.

One I've posted before:

Last edited:
Whether it’s true or not, he’s an employee of the club and his final press conference was a disgrace. But he was picking away at the club throughout his time. He never wanted to be there.

Again you don't know what he wanted. His rant as unprofessional as it may have seemed he was ultimately right. That story of rant is not over the top if his frustrations boiled over after a considerable amount of time.

Secondly it's worse that Levy didn't even think that a manager like Conte would keep quiet if things were not going the way as promised.

Sounds like Ange also fits that remit plus he is about our level of manager we can attract.

Take into account the state of our squad and our lack of resources (due to enics near zero tolerance approach to providing additional funding to support the team) and its clear if enic stay we are on a medium to long term trajectory of ending between 6th and 8th. And that’s assuming things go well!

Therefore Ange is about the best we can hope for and on the subject of hope we can only hope he can surprise us all.

Sad that we're having to stoop to a 'level of manager which we can attract' and even more so because its self inflicted - we can pay market rates for managers but as such a hire & fire club, and now on a downward trajectory, I can understand why people would think that there are better alternatives.

I do wonder whether Levy will go for a low probability approach for de Zerbi next week. Offer him a pile of cash and see whether he can be persuaded. I think de Zerbi would be nuts to leave there, but who knows. Then if (when) RdZ says no, he goes for Ange P the week after - Celtic dont finish for another week

Agree with the aim for next season - 6th would be a success

at the very least enable us to enjoy watching our team play again....

Yes, and goes back to my point that I think this has to be the priority for Spurs with the next manager, even ahead of success.

Fans are dis-engaging from the club. People on here would generally be in the more dedicated group of fans I would have thought, and lots of us are feeling more and more dis-engaged and apathetic towards the club. I know that I'm not as 'up' for our games now as I was a few years ago, and that just from a gradual wearing down over time of boring, defensive football. For the club to succeed, it needs a big fan base given that leads to shirt sales, bums on seats etc and this switching off of fans is a huge huge risk for the club.

Yes, and goes back to my point that I think this has to be the priority for Spurs with the next manager, even ahead of success.

Fans are dis-engaging from the club. People on here would generally be in the more dedicated group of fans I would have thought, and lots of us are feeling more and more dis-engaged and apathetic towards the club. I know that I'm not as 'up' for our games now as I was a few years ago, and that just from a gradual wearing down over time of boring, defensive football. For the club to succeed, it needs a big fan base given that leads to shirt sales, bums on seats etc and this switching off of fans is a huge huge risk for the club.

Your two posts above somewhat contradict each other. On one hand, you lament "having to stoop to a 'level of manager which we can attract'" but then you concede that it really doesn't matter, we just want someone that will make it enjoyable again.

And it will be. Back in October, Villa were fearing relegation. Football turns around quickly.

So you think we reacted "with some rubbish" and Cullen leaked to the press that Slot just used us to get a better contract?
Which of these do you think is more likely?
a) Journalist finds out that Slot has a new contract and confirms that there were no discussions with Spurs. He needs a story and uses the same one that has been written a thousand times when this exact scenario has happened repeatedly with both players and managers and writes an article that Spurs were used.

b) Journalist finds out that Slot has a new contract and confirms that there were no discussions with Spurs. They go "damn, I can't think of what to write, I know, I'll phone Cullen or Levy and ask them what I should write"

You really seem to be going out of your way lately to paint a picture that we're constantly leaking stuff to the press to create a narrative when there's no chance we're going to be able to control it like that.
No matter what the club statement is the media is going to write brick to try and generate clicks.
a)
However I’d say the Nagelsmann ‘we’re not interested’ was definitely a club leak (and a lie).

Last edited:
Your two posts above somewhat contradict each other. On one hand, you lament "having to stoop to a 'level of manager which we can attract'" but then you concede that it really doesn't matter, we just want someone that will make it enjoyable again.

And it will be. Back in October, Villa were fearing relegation. Football turns around quickly.

I dont think they are contradictory - they're two overlapping factors....like a venn diagram

I think we as club need a clear definition of what success is.
I have no problem whatsoever with managers like nuno or ange p if the club admit that we are aiming for top six and possibly a domestic cup now and again.
Should it be a poch, nagelsman or slot and we are looking for a squad build to achieve top four regularly and sometime in the future seriously challenge for CL and PL titles, fine.
Even a conte or jose with a pot of cash and a quick cup win is ok.
But the plan, the manager and the set up need to match with the aspirations, and i really don't think they have done, not since probably Redknapp's time.

Back