• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
I was thinking about this a while ago but never calculated the average. For at least 15 years or so we have constantly finished in the top 6 and until this season only Jose's team under Covid finished outside of the top 6. Even the real big boy teams have finished outside the top 6 more often, the difference is they bounce back and win the league or at least some other trophies and that is why winning trophies is important - just about every team save for Emirates Marketing Project are going to have 'off' seasons so it's important when you are on a good streak you collect a trophy or two to have something to show for your efforts.

But when you compare to realistically similar level clubs when ENIC took over ie Aston Villa, Everton, Leeds etc you can see we have made significant strides and demonstrated very good consistency. But as others have said previously, the final step is the most difficult to take.....

Yeh, sums it up for me, done alot of bad, done alot of good, truth about Enic tenure probably somewhere in the middle TBH. You have correctly identified our peers of the time they took over, the fact people now compare us or have compared us to others around us proves there has been progression.

Yeh, sums it up for me, done alot of bad, done alot of good, truth about Enic tenure probably somewhere in the middle TBH. You have correctly identified our peers of the time they took over, the fact people now compare us or have compared us to others around us proves there has been progression.

After 22 years I would certainly hope so!

Good write up on some of the options, including Ange: https://theathletic.com/4555473/2023/05/26/tottenham-manager-options/

Ultimately, the candidate who now looks to have the momentum is Ange Postecoglou. He has been in Tottenham’s thinking for a while, even if he has not had the glamorous profile of some of the other candidates. He has had a longer route to the top, working in Australia, Japan and now in Scotland with Celtic for the last two years. At 57, he is the oldest of all the candidates under consideration — and he is four years older than previous manager Conte — so could not bring the youthful energy of De Zerbi or Amorim.

And yet, Postecoglou ticks some of the boxes better than anyone else. He has shown a natural gift for building a team dynamic and bringing supporters in line with the team; it’s exactly what Spurs want this summer. Some people doubted whether he could handle the switch to such a big club and high-pressure environment as Celtic, but he has managed the public-facing elements of it brilliantly.

His teams play enterprising, front-foot football of the sort that Spurs have not seen since Pochettino was in charge. They overwhelm opponents and have two Scottish league titles to show for it from two seasons. The below graphic shows that Postecoglou’s Celtic have the lowest PPDA (passes per defensive action) and therefore the highest pressing intensity of all other candidates’ teams, even ahead of Amorim’s Sporting.

It might feel like a leap in taking a manager who has never worked in Europe’s top five leagues and putting him in charge at Tottenham. But then Spurs have appointed by strength of CV before and look how that turned out.

Also this:

(One candidate very unlikely to get the job is Brendan Rodgers, sacked by Leicester City last month. He nearly became Tottenham manager in 2012, but has never been close to the job since.)

They went early on Slot coming in, hopefully they’re right on Rodgers.

Good write up on some of the options, including Ange: https://theathletic.com/4555473/2023/05/26/tottenham-manager-options/

Also this:

He'd have to be Lampard levels of brick not to be winning the ball back quickly in Scotland when managing Celtic. I'd also be very concerned if his team wasn't all over the opposition offensively.

Even Gooner George wouldn't need to set Celtic up to defend against the teams they play.

Also this:

Guarantee this will go the exact same way as Slot. First of all there was only a couple endorsing him, with it being met with the usual resistance and lazy analysis of him from fans being a guy managing in a weaker league etc. Then the more people read up on him and actually got insights into his ethos the more appealing he was to the fans. The same will happen here with Ange as he gets more exposure. With the exception of @scaramanga of course :D.....

Guarantee this will go the exact same way as Slot. First of all there was only a couple endorsing him, with it being met with the usual resistance and lazy analysis of him from fans being a guy managing in a weaker league etc. Then the more people read up on him and actually got insights into his ethos the more appealing he was to the fans. The same will happen here with Ange as he gets more exposure. With the exception of @scaramanga of course :D.....
Ive still not read anything that makes him stand out

Who ever come in needs to be given a few years to get this team and club turned around.

We can't be back at a situation where we sack another manager. I just can't see who that person would be.

But I have already accepted that we will drop down the table a bit for a few years while everything gets sorted.

So you think we reacted "with some rubbish" and Cullen leaked to the press that Slot just used us to get a better contract?
Which of these do you think is more likely?
a) Journalist finds out that Slot has a new contract and confirms that there were no discussions with Spurs. He needs a story and uses the same one that has been written a thousand times when this exact scenario has happened repeatedly with both players and managers and writes an article that Spurs were used.

b) Journalist finds out that Slot has a new contract and confirms that there were no discussions with Spurs. They go "damn, I can't think of what to write, I know, I'll phone Cullen or Levy and ask them what I should write"

You really seem to be going out of your way lately to paint a picture that we're constantly leaking stuff to the press to create a narrative when there's no chance we're going to be able to control it like that.
No matter what the club statement is the media is going to write brick to try and generate clicks.

I don't know how to use the like button. Sad that there are so many sensible people in todays world take what they read in the press as infallible and use it to justify their anger/point.

The club is macaronIC when it comes to dictating narratives in media. If you don't get ahead of them, the media will have their way. ALL we needed to do when we appointed Mason is say something to the effect of - "We are committed to making sure the next appointment is right for the club in all manner of ways, and as such, we will be reviewing possibilities over the coming weeks with no decision to be made until after the season ends."

And stick to it. Say nothing else. Even when it is clear that a camp such as Nagelsmann's has leaked some info to the press. Ignore it. When asked, repeat the mantra.

Instead, we always REACT with some rubbish. We did it with Nagelsmann, and we did it again with Slot, in fact we even tried to seed the idea that he has used us to get a fatter contract, as if he had somehow 'seduced' us with promises when he knew all along he wasn't interested. As if he'd need us to get a better contract, having just won the league, got into the CL and become a 'property'.

Our inability to control narratives from the start is as much of an issue as any issue itself.

I'd rather the club concentrate on the football side and ignore the media, they will only "report" what sells, they are not interested in the truth or facts just making themselves important, if they disappeared tomorrow football would still be here you couldn't say the same about them.

He'd have to be Lampard levels of brick not to be winning the ball back quickly in Scotland when managing Celtic. I'd also be very concerned if his team wasn't all over the opposition offensively.

Even Gooner George wouldn't need to set Celtic up to defend against the teams they play.

I have no idea how good he is as i never watch Scottish football but it would worry me that as good as he may look in Scotland coming to the Prem will be a massive step up from him. Not saying i would not support him IF he got the job but i would be worried that he will struggle.

I have no idea how good he is as i never watch Scottish football but it would worry me that as good as he may look in Scotland coming to the Prem will be a massive step up from him. Not saying i would not support him IF he got the job but i would be worried that he will struggle.
Bigger step up than going for a Championship manager IMO.

Back