• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
Fair enough, I misremembered. I know there were folks bringing up the 'no way this will be like 2021' stuff back then, though.

On Postecoglou, like I said, before Scotland, it was Australia and Japan. Neither are especially comparable to the intensity and competitiveness of the Prem - I had the same concerns about Slot. Where I am willing to afford a coach the benefit of the doubt is if they worked against the odds even within a smaller league, but Postecoglou took over Celtic, the biggest club in Scotland and financially streets ahead of everyone else, even Rangers.

Gerrard winning the league with a recently promoted Rangers is more impressive in that sense than Postecoglou walking the league with Celtic, a feat achieved dozens of times before. Did he impress in Europe, which would have been a feat against the odds? No. Did he do something unprecedented? No. Is he young enough to expect some sort of gradual improvement in his coaching abilities? Probably not.

Everything screams 'cheap punt/gamble'. And it has zero to do with him being Australian.

Those are all fair concerns and I completely understand them. I’ve said that in the past when talking about him. But he is not Steven Gerrard; Ange got to where he is purely on merit (and working against many, many, many people who wrote him off) not by being a good footballer.

The biggest appeal for me is his personality and his ability to galvanise everyone, to get everyone pulling in the same direction. He protects his team and his club against anyone who comes for it, and I love that about him.

The things you’re saying about him are exactly what Celtic fans said when he was appointed. They quickly learned.

If anything, Australia is more exotic as it's further away and hotter in the true sense of the word but you have it as being to do with the football reputation. I don't know a whole lot about the barriers Australian managers face in football other than the lack of reputation of the league and national team making it less likely to be offered higher profile jobs elsewhere.

I could be completely misreading your posts / tone but it still seems like your suggesting implications of racism against Australians, it's the other side of the world and unlike faraway places like Brazil / Argentina doesn't have the footballing culture anywhere near so doesn't it make sense? I might have missed your point entirely and it's more to do with visas or something else and apologies if that's the case.

But it'd be amazing if we get the first Aussie ever to manage in the premier league and he is a roaring success. I've no doubt every true Spurs fan feels the same and often in all cases the majority are wrong about stuff when basing views on reputation / limited knowledge/ media

He was implying that but is now backtracking after you directly called him out.

He hasn't shown that. If anything it's Potter that has shown what a transformational manager can do. He came in and took over Brighton that had spent 5 years playing horrible defensive football under Hughton. He got them playing great football very quickly and led them to their highest ever finish last season. They also had a great start to this season under Potter, were playing fantastic football and in 4th when he left.
De Zebri is a good manager but has done nothing transformational at Brighton, just continued on with what Potter had built. That's not saying that he's not a good manager but to say that he is transformational and has shown Potter to be average is BS.

Brighton have clearly gone up several levels since De Zerbi came in. Amongst other things they now score goals for fun which Potter could not get them doing.

Broadly speaking, that's very true. To give De Zerbi his due, and I'm yet to be convinced he isn't just the latest flavour of the month, he does have Brighton looking a lot more threatening than Potter has managed with any of his clubs.
He has, but it's more building on the foundations laid by Potter than transforming the side.
I do think he looks a really good manager so don't want to play down what he's doing, but it's also wrong to play down what Potter did.

I could be completely misreading your posts / tone but it still seems like your suggesting implications of racism against Australians, it's the other side of the world to the location of the Premier League and unlike faraway places like Brazil / Argentina doesn't have the footballing culture anywhere near so doesn't it make sense? I might have missed your point entirely and it's more to do with visas or something else and apologies if that's the case.

We might be a strange bunch but I’m pretty sure Australian isn’t a race.

Maybe there was. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes. Let's see what the search results in before passing judgement.

JN wasn't available in January. Slot's big selling point, from an achievement perspective, is winning the league which just happened recently. Things change rapidly.

Its not winning the league that is Slot’s big selling point. Its the incredible and almost immediate total transformation he did at both AZ and Feyenoord. In playing style and results on a limited budget and losing his best players.

Ppl talking about facts.. we dont know the fackts. What Arne is saying you cant take as fackts.
When news and ppl that are idk go as far as saying the things they have its not just flimflam.

I feel its strange if Spurs havent agreed on personal with Arne.
So if that has been the case, arne has played us as a fool.
If Spurs have pulled us out its becouse we have another manager signing in the next week that Levy thinks is better.

17mill, 25mill, 8mill… has nothing to do with it.

But if its not Arne that has played us, then Levy has fudged up.

What ever the reason is, Spurs are looking like a fools Club.

You are the one that has brought up his nationality twice this morning as something that other people think negatively about despite there being no evidence of that.

He might be brilliant for us but the worry for me is coming from league where star players in a title winning team are CCV and Joe Hart, who were nowhere near the level required to be back ups in a race for top four nevermind winning it.

It's a whole different world coming in to a league where there's competition (sorry Rangers) and a much higher quality all round and it's reasonable to be concerned about it if he hasn't done it in a major league and is 57, Ange could potentially come in and seamlessly adapt to the greater demands and if we get him I certainly hope he acclimatizes.

Given how quickly the options are being notched off I am coming round to the idea but if people aren't convinced, try not being so sensitive on the Australia front as there are legitimate reasons why it might not seem the best option on paper
Plus he's Australian.

I hope it's not true because that would imply we're penny pinching again, 17m isn't bad value if we have conviction that he's the man to transform the club, play better football and get us back in the CL. I mean we probably paid Doherty 5-7m just to leave plus 45m on his replacement in a position where we already had 2 other players.

A race to the bottom...... I'm here all day, get my coat, etc.

Race, ethnicity, they're used interchangeably despite not being completely similar. Not sure the distinction matters too much on a football forum though.

Discrimination against Australians then, you know, like how the native people of Australia were and are actually discriminated for being actually from the island they inhabit.

But okay, hope correcting me gave you a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Discrimination against Australians then, you know, like how the native people of Australia were and are actually discriminated for being actually from the island they inhabit.

But okay, hope correcting me gave you a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I’m just surprised you haven’t sent me a DM yet.

Meh. I'm sure there was interest. It broke down. brick happens. I'll judge the managerial process when it ends and I see the result. It tinkles me off that people are reporting today that we're on Day 60 or whatever of the search and still haven't got a candidate. Completely ignores the fact that we never expected to have someone in place by end of season and there is still three months to go to the new season starting.

On Potter or Rodgers. I was never very keen on either but 12 months ago, both would have been seen as good appointments. Potter was seen as some sort of genius by many and Rodgers had Leicester riding high and a cup win under his belt. Both are still good managers (if not quite as good as some believed) and wouldn't be bad appointments all things being equal. However, Potter's recent association and failure with Chelsea would rule him out while the way it ended for Rodgers at Leicester should rule him out. Levy appoints either and there will be a backlash.
Recruitment and pre-season are incredibly important. We potentially have a huge squad turnover to get through. The new man needs to be in place before pre-season starts and the DoF should’ve been appointed already. Well run clubs are already making signings for next season.

Recruitment and pre-season are incredibly important. We potentially have a huge squad turnover to get through. The new man needs to be in place before pre-season starts and the DoF should’ve been appointed already. Well run clubs are already making signings for next season.

The DoF one is confusing given that there wouldnt be any linkage with waiting til the season is over for people to free up.

Back