• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
I don't think the two situations are the same as we are now in the process of a restructure, the season is not over yet and then there is a period of leave to consider, its not like Nuno although I understand that people have wounds from his appointment and its their go to place. In addition I don't think managers really care about the who came before or rumours because unlike fans who are in the dark they will know more about the industry they are involved in than we do and be ok with it, its the nature of the game, they will have their reps trying to get them foots in doors where there is an interesting job regardless of who is linked to said job. I don't think it works against them per say, it might do with the fans because they believe it all and then any manager who joins now looks a plan C or D and that crosshair is on their back, but I would say thats for the fans to adjust their mindset than anyone else.

Call me crazy but I will judge the manager process by who we appoint and how they perform...

Yeah but in this case, the problem is not you or me or anyone else on this board. It's a) how the story will be told in the press and what the mood will be like in the stadium. Like or not, the whole Nuno debacle did happen and it set a very poor precedent. On a personal note, I won't even judge the manager process on a name but on the first 15-20 games of the season... if he lasts that long. I don't living in England so I can't tell what the mood's like among regular fans, but I really don't think having a dozen names doing the rounds for three months is going to put the next guy in a strong position.

And then, there's the players. Some are professionals but we saw with Nuno or Gross that others have strong opinions on who deserves to manage them. They read the papers too...

Again, if Levy wants to go with Rodgers, I'm willing to give him or anyone else bar Lumplard a chance but don't expect people to be thrilled if you give them a Leicester reject after they got their hopes sky-high for three months.

Some rumours are clearly just speculation. Some things there just seems too much smoke....look at Slot's comments at his press conference last week. Just doesnt seem remotely believable that we weren't interested

And if he signs an improved contract? That also contradicts his comments last week, surely if he wanted out it would not just be Spurs or bust, surely if we only put him off other clubs may interest him and he still may leave? OR if he signs a new deal those comments last week and the rumours around him were leveraged to get a better deal, maybe

It’s been mentioned a few times on here in the past.

Yup, you've brought it up twice this morning as I said.

If anyone outs themselves as enough of a macaron to suggest they don't want to hire someone based on their nationality rather than what they've done in the game, maybe pay them no heed. But as I implied, I haven't seen anyone do that on here. If that level of ignorance is displayed I respectfully predict you're just going to get worked up about it and not be able to change anyone's mindset on it but that's only my opinion which you're entitled to disregard.

The Scottish and Australian leagues aren't held in particularly high regard, that's just the way it is (nb my point about CCV and Hart) but it doesn't automatically mean Ange would be a disaster.

What's happened? Nothing has happened, other than a manager of a club he's contracted to, says he's happy to continue working for the club he's contracted to. I'd expect every manager to respond that way. That does not mean that cant change.

A lot of you are like 14 year olds, and get your knickers in a twist for absolutely nothing.
I want to use some words describing it, but I'll refrain from it.

Last edited:
What should I believe the writers that tell us "it's a done deal, be announced in next couple of days" or writers who tell us "the deals off, snubbed Spurs", it's so difficult when they are the same people or could it all be flimflam for the gullible?
This is what some people need to realise, the same ones in the media saying Slot wants to become manager are now the ones saying he doesn't want to come. This has happened time and time again and yet people on here still lap it up, still feel the need to post every tweet going, and work themselves up into thinking these things are definitely happening. I don't know how many times this has to happen before some of you learn. Honestly, your lives would be so much simpler and better off without Twitter.

The simple truth would be that conversations have been had with Slot intermediaries to some level and as is always the way someone in the media catches wind of it, wants to break the exclusive so suggests things are way further along than they actually are - and then every other media source has to reveal the same or if they want to get ahead things are even further advanced with Slot otherwise that media source holds no value. In the modern football world quality information is rare and Twitter is the devil....

All that reply shows is your ignorance.

Whatever mate - know you're a fan of this Ange bloke, but even Nuno had more relevant experience than him and is (iirc) much younger than him, which is not a good sign. This guy's biggest achievement is walking the league in Scotland - a pub league where CCV and Joe Hart are worldbeaters. Before that, Japan and Australia - not exactly footballing center stage. And failed miserably in Europe this season, as I recall.

Also, weren't you one of the ones telling me it would be nothing like our search in 2021, or am I misremembering?

Yup, you've brought it up twice this morning as I said.

If anyone outs themselves as enough of a macaron to suggest they don't want to hire someone based on their nationality rather than what they've done in the game, maybe pay them no heed. But as I implied, I haven't seen anyone do that on here.

The Scottish and Australian leagues aren't held in particularly high regard, that's just the way it is (nb my point about CCV and Hart) but it doesn't automatically mean Ange would be a disaster.

I didn’t say anything like that. I said “Ange is just less exotic because he’s an Aussie working in Scotland” which I don’t think is very controversial. Dutch football has a far greater reputation than Australian and Scottish football.

I also responded to a comment about him being a 57 year old working in Scotland / never in a major league, saying that’s because he’s Australian. That is also true. It’s a lot harder for an Australian to get a job in Europe. Want to know how many Aussies have managed in the Premier League? 0.

Whatever mate - know you're a fan of this Ange bloke, but even Nuno had more relevant experience than him and is (iirc) much younger than him, which is not a good sign. This guy's biggest achievement is walking the league in Scotland - a pub league where CCV and Joe Hart are worldbeaters. Before that, Japan and Australia - not exactly footballing center stage. And failed miserably in Europe this season, as I recall.

Also, weren't you one of the ones telling me it would be nothing like our search in 2021, or am I misremembering?

Don’t think that was me. Celtic fail in Europe every season. And his biggest achievement was winning the Asian Cup with Australia, followed by transforming Japanese football.

And if he signs an improved contract? That also contradicts his comments last week, surely if he wanted out it would not just be Spurs or bust, surely if we only put him off other clubs may interest him and he still may leave? OR if he signs a new deal those comments last week and the rumours around him were leveraged to get a better deal, maybe

Its the realisation that no one will pay the £17m needed.

He will therefore sign a new deal on much improved terms and probably keep the buyout clause from next season at maybe around £8m instead of £5m so everyone is happy.

Tbh this thread is now getting derailed as usual in these circumstance by a debate led by the same old posters trying to reframe the narrative for why it fell through.

Its a pointless debate and we’d be better off talking about where we go next in the manager search.

This is what some people need to realise, the same ones in the media saying Slot wants to become manager are now the ones saying he doesn't want to come. This has happened time and time again and yet people on here still lap it up, still feel the need to post every tweet going, and work themselves up into thinking these things are definitely happening. I don't know how many times this has to happen before some of you learn. Honestly, your lives would be so much simpler and better off without Twitter.

The simple truth would be that conversations have been had with Slot intermediaries to some level and as is always the way someone in the media catches wind of it, wants to break the exclusive so suggests things are way further along than they actually are - and then every other media source has to reveal the same or if they want to get ahead things are even further advanced with Slot otherwise that media source holds no value. In the modern football world quality information is rare and Twitter is the devil....

So much sense it that, sadly some will not listen and get into rant mood ( again).

Since I've supported this club we've only bought in 3 good managers Pleat, Redknapp and Poch, we've had sucess with promoting 2 assistants Nicholson and Jol the rest have been poor yet Venables and Ramos won a trophy. Our records poor whoever is in charge.

He will therefore sign a new deal on much improved terms and probably keep the buyout clause from next season at maybe around £8m instead of £5m so everyone is happy.

Tbh this thread is now getting derailed as usual in these circumstance by a debate led by the same old posters trying to reframe the narrative for why it fell through.

Its a pointless debate and we’d be better off talking about where we go next in the manager search.

Who’s trying to reframe it? You’re ignoring direct quotes from the person in question to fit your agenda of Levy not paying up.

We'll never no the real ins and outs. What if Slot said I want to sell Son and Kane and start again with some young, hungry pressers and Levy was like erm no they are our biggest commercial attractions, Can't you just improve the defence lol

All we can do is sit back and let this brick show play out

No narrative needed when the blokes clearly speaking to the press directly, if he has contradicted himself thats on him.

I agree its about who the next manager is, lets see who that is

I think De Zerbi has shown what a transformational manager can do and has also shown that Potter is quite average.

But I am open to appointing a Potter on 2 year deal and seeing how he does.

That way we can move him on next Summer when other targets are available it just means the Kane era is 100% over.

My preference is we alter our restructure plans to suit Nagelsmann and appoint him.
He hasn't shown that. If anything it's Potter that has shown what a transformational manager can do. He came in and took over Brighton that had spent 5 years playing horrible defensive football under Hughton. He got them playing great football very quickly and led them to their highest ever finish last season. They also had a great start to this season under Potter, were playing fantastic football and in 4th when he left.
De Zebri is a good manager but has done nothing transformational at Brighton, just continued on with what Potter had built. That's not saying that he's not a good manager but to say that he is transformational and has shown Potter to be average is BS.

Which completely ignores the fact that it was clear from January that Conte was off at the end of the year. Doesn't seem to have been much planning for that.

Maybe there was. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes. Let's see what the search results in before passing judgement.

JN wasn't available in January. Slot's big selling point, from an achievement perspective, is winning the league which just happened recently. Things change rapidly.

Don’t think that was me. Celtic fail in Europe every season. And his biggest achievement was winning the Asian Cup with Australia, followed by transforming Japanese football.

Fair enough, I misremembered. I know there were folks bringing up the 'no way this will be like 2021' stuff back then, though.

On Postecoglou, like I said, before Scotland, it was Australia and Japan. Neither are especially comparable to the intensity and competitiveness of the Prem - I had the same concerns about Slot. Where I am willing to afford a coach the benefit of the doubt is if they worked against the odds even within a smaller league, but Postecoglou took over Celtic, the biggest club in Scotland and financially streets ahead of everyone else, even Rangers.

Gerrard winning the league with a recently promoted Rangers is more impressive in that sense than Postecoglou walking the league with Celtic, a feat achieved dozens of times before. Did he impress in Europe, which would have been a feat against the odds? No. Did he do something unprecedented? No. Is he young enough to expect some sort of gradual improvement in his coaching abilities? Probably not.

Everything screams 'cheap punt/gamble'. And it has zero to do with him being Australian.

He hasn't shown that. If anything it's Potter that has shown what a transformational manager can do. He came in and took over Brighton that had spent 5 years playing horrible defensive football under Hughton. He got them playing great football very quickly and led them to their highest ever finish last season. They also had a great start to this season under Potter, were playing fantastic football and in 4th when he left.
De Zebri is a good manager but has done nothing transformational at Brighton, just continued on with what Potter had built. That's not saying that he's not a good manager but to say that he is transformational and has shown Potter to be average is BS.

Broadly speaking, that's very true. To give De Zerbi his due, and I'm yet to be convinced he isn't just the latest flavour of the month, he does have Brighton looking a lot more threatening than Potter has managed with any of his clubs.

I didn’t say anything like that. I said “Ange is just less exotic because he’s an Aussie working in Scotland” which I don’t think is very controversial. Dutch football has a far greater reputation than Australia and Scottish football.

I also responded to a comment about him a 57 year old working in Scotland / never in a major league, saying that’s because he’s Australian. That is also true. It’s a lot harder for an Australian to get a job in Europe. Want to know how many Aussies have managed in the Premier League? 0.

If anything, Australia is more exotic as it's further away and hotter in the true sense of the word but you have it as being to do with the football reputation. I don't know a whole lot about the barriers Australian managers face in football other than the lack of reputation of the league and national team making it less likely to be offered higher profile jobs elsewhere.

I could be completely misreading your posts / tone but it still seems like your suggesting implications of racism against Australians, it's the other side of the world to the location of the Premier League and unlike faraway places like Brazil / Argentina doesn't have the footballing culture anywhere near so doesn't it make sense? I might have missed your point entirely and it's more to do with visas or something else and apologies if that's the case.

But it'd be amazing if we get the first Aussie ever to manage in the premier league and he is a roaring success. I've no doubt every true Spurs fan feels the same and often in all cases the majority are wrong about stuff when basing views on reputation / limited knowledge/ media

The big question is IF it wasn’t down to money. What happened to put Slot off? The move would clearly be a good one and his comments prior to this week suggested that he didn’t want to be stuck in Netherlands for the future. So something has happened which has put him off joining us.

Maybe he had a chat with his family and decided that moving at this time wouldn’t be a great idea.
Who knows? Lots of people holding trenchant views here based on ifs, buts and maybes.

Back