• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric - No Longer A Spurs Player

If Modric goes we announce to the world that we are a selling club. The media circus will then be here to stay. Just watch the vultures circle.
I'm quite happy for the focus to be all on Modric and not the rest of our talented squad.

In all fairness, how many clubs in the world aren't selling clubs?

There will always be a media circus. Vertonghen will have his in a year or two. Bale will have his next summer, Sigurdsson might have one, Walker might end up with one, and so on.

Our best players will always be sold by the press.

To be honest my main problem is not the media circus but rather the fact that a year later he appears so desperate to leave

To be honest my main problem is not the media circus but rather the fact that a year later he appears so desperate to leave

I must have missed something. An interview or something? Anything with direct quotes from Modric that state he wants to leave?

He had another very good year at the club,but there is still no CL,it's very likely that we won't win any major silverware next year and his best buddies at the club left.
He is a world class player and the biggest club in the world wants him...I really don't see what the issue here is

I'd prefer he not leave but if it is to happen then it has to be on our terms, and if those terms are not met then he should shut up and play to the best of his ability. What those terms might be Levy only knows but I'm sure it is not too far off those being spoken about on here - foreign club, 40mil, etc. There are only a few teams that would meet those conditions and even fewer that Modric himself would move to. I'm thinking Madrid and Barca really.
If VDV were to leave I'd be more disappointed strangely. If both left I would be gutted.

@officialMKcoys
No surprise but Modric has not agreed (or spoken) to Madrid. Can also say his resolve to leave is nowhere the level of last summer #coys

Am I the only one on here who is looking forward to us getting rid of Modric? Very good player I agree, but I simply have no time for a player who a year later is still so desperate to leave my club. Being one of our very best players I think he just phoned in a number of performances during the last third of the season. The sooner he moves on the sooner the media circus that follows his transfer saga will get out of town too

I really don't think he's treated us that badly at all. Wanted a move last summer, yes, but when he was told to stay, rather than sulking like Berbatov he got on with his job and gave us another good season.

If he leaves this summer he'll go with my blessings. Hope so much he doesn't though... possibly the best player I've seen at the club.

In all fairness, how many clubs in the world aren't selling clubs?

I'd say all but Barca, Real, at a push Man Utd, and now (annoyingly) Emirates Marketing Project!

Everyone else 'has their price'... it's not always about the money, but the 'glamour' of the club (ie; Barcelona are by no means the RICHEST, but they sure can attract the best!)
Whereas the likes of Inter & AC Milan have had their day in terms of attracting 'Galactico' type players... and it seems Emirates Marketing Project have now become the British Inter... but with gazillions more money!

The thing that annoys me about the Modric situation is that (IN THE UNLIKELY EVENT he stays) if he has a good 1st half of the season, it'll be here we go again in Jan and he'll be off anyway...

...but if he has a ropey patch then it's BECAUSE his head is somewhere else, and we're better shot of a disillusioned player anyway - but at a much lower price, 'cos his stock has decreased, 'cos he's had a ropey start to the season, 'cos his head is somewhere else... and here we go again please JUST shoot me!

IMO the majority of tactical work is done on the training field, not in-game.

Its in the patterns of play rehearsed into players, the defensive shape, the offensive movement, the interations between partnreships...

Once you get to a game this then happens more naturally to the managers design.

Of course in-game tactics take effect through instructions to change shape or through substitutions - but a managers input at this point is limited. This is why I like the idea of a coach willing to work more on the training field to set the team up.

An excellent post.

arsenal , when wenger FIRST broke on the scene.

or is someone going to tell me that nigel winterburn and lee dixon were as good as they were under wenger all their career? wenger used them right and changed the way arsenal played..tactics. does funny things when you actually apply them.

Agreed.

I think most fans over rate tactics massively. I think if you were a fly on the wall of most dressing rooms during team talks you'd be shocked at how basic they are! It's more down to the players I think.

I do disagree with those saying Wenger isn't tactical though. He isn't a tactical genius (as demonstrated by Arsenal's generally poor showings in the Champion's League) and he does seem to struggle with a Plan B, but then so do most Managers. Fergie isn't tactical either, and he is another who often struggles with a Plan B when faced against a team with players as good as his own. And yet those are the two most successful Premiership managers!

Alternatively people like Sam Allardyce and Glenn Hoddle are very tactical, and yet achieved very little.

It's an interesting debate point (though one I'm wary to engage in too deeply as it could swing in another direction quickly!) and there's certainly a lot to be said for the players being responsible for a lot of what happens, BUT, I do believe that in the final moments, when it comes down to the wire, those sides who have clearly prepared properly tactically will always have another place to drop into. And as such, I think Mourinho most certainly changed the Premiership with regards to his approach to games.

Fergie's an interesting case. Man U got slaughtered by Barca two years ago in the CL Final, and he spent the summer re-vamping his approach. Cleverly was a very important piece of his jigsaw, and he lost him, which I think cost them the title (that and the fact he didn't sign Sneijder). I think when he had Ronaldo, he had a player who along with Rooney, could play several different formations and several different positions/ways. I think he expected Nani to blossom in that fashion and it hasn't happened like that.

I think perhaps the whole tactical discussion is a case of developing systems to suit the players you have/have fit, rather than a couple of different 'shapes' where perhaps injuries force square pegs into round holes...

Again, an interesting discussion point...

I think most fans over rate tactics massively. I think if you were a fly on the wall of most dressing rooms during team talks you'd be shocked at how basic they are! It's more down to the players I think.

I do disagree with those saying Wenger isn't tactical though. He isn't a tactical genius (as demonstrated by Arsenal's generally poor showings in the Champion's League) and he does seem to struggle with a Plan B, but then so do most Managers. Fergie isn't tactical either, and he is another who often struggles with a Plan B when faced against a team with players as good as his own. And yet those are the two most successful Premiership managers!

Alternatively people like Sam Allardyce and Glenn Hoddle are very tactical, and yet achieved very little.

Most of Wenger's substitutions are so obvious, any casual football fan could call them! In the late 90s/early noughties it was Wiltord for Bergkamp without fail!

I remember when we beat them at the Emirates, he took Nasri off at 2-2 despite him being one of their best players that day.

Those are just two examples off the top of my head so it's not enough to condemn him on those examples alone. But I've just never been impressed by him tactically. He's a great spotter of talent, but not the best tactician IMO.

Also if you look at them defensively, they haven't been good enough for years. He was quite lucky that Adams was already there when he arrived. The Campbell signing was a no brainer so he can't be given a great deal of credit for that one.

And like Barca and to a certain extent us, they have no plan B.

REAL Madrid have cooled their chase for Tottenham striker Luka Modric leaving the door wide open for Chelsea to step in.

The Spanish club who have numerous choices of who to play up front with Ozil and De Maria have cooled on the idea of a transfer for the Croatian international.

There is no longer a need for urgent reinforcements at Real Madrid meaning they will not push things with Modric, according to reports in Spain.

Modric is said to have preferred a move to Spain but may have to settle for a move to Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea are currently in the process of preparing a £36m bid for Modric and Roman Abramovich has vowed to dig deep for the striker.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view...ka-Modric-leaving-path-for-Chelsea-wide-open-

REAL Madrid have cooled their chase for Tottenham striker Luka Modric leaving the door wide open for Chelsea to step in.

The Spanish club who have numerous choices of who to play up front with Ozil and De Maria have cooled on the idea of a transfer for the Croatian international.

There is no longer a need for urgent reinforcements at Real Madrid meaning they will not push things with Modric, according to reports in Spain.

Modric is said to have preferred a move to Spain but may have to settle for a move to Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea are currently in the process of preparing a £36m bid for Modric and Roman Abramovich has vowed to dig deep for the striker.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view...ka-Modric-leaving-path-for-Chelsea-wide-open-

fudge sake!

There's a couple of errors in that piece but I'll let you find them for yourselves.

(Someone got paid to write that)

Back