• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric - No Longer A Spurs Player

If we were to bring in those 4, I'd have a midfield 3 of:

Sahin ...... Sandro ....... Siggy

with Dzagoev used as a sub for Sig and Oscar a sub for Sahin.

if we could only get 3 of the 4 i'd leave out Dzagoev. Just knew we have been linked to him and could be another good young option for a ACM role

IMO Sandro, Parker, and Livermore are all in competition for one spot (holding cm if we're going 4-3-3). Not sure what Hudd's role will be with Villas-Boas, and VDV has proven he doesn't have the legs to run for a full 90 mins so really we're looking at needing a like for like sub/replacement for him anyways.

Sahin and Oscar competing for the playmaking CM position would give us some incredible options that not many other teams have. Even better is the fact that atleast 3 can be had for the price of Modric (who's bound to go anyways) and their potential sell-on values could one day be equal to if not greater than that of Modric.

Sounds too play-thingy. looking at all that

you have an england starting international competing with a junior in livermore and a talneted up and comer in sandro who we realy should be developing fast

then a dutch international with good perdigree watching an unproven player in this league take his spot. tom huddlstone disappears in the wind with no issue about whats going on

and a totally young untested brazilian international that may or may not cost a bundle duking it out with the untested player in sahin

so we would have

parker, livermore, sandro, thudd, VDV, Oscar, sahin, siggy, pienaar....in one big pot battling it out for who gets to play in the 3 midfield or even 3 midfield spots depending of who we employ next to the striker.

and all these players are going to function optimally in this? and this is a viable possibility ?

i doubt it to be honest, and i doubt the logistics of in room harmony and team selection.

He's Russian. I'm pretty sure that's where the similarities end.

i'm trying to give the BOD on this one. that he's thought it through more than just nationality

having said that, jurgen doesnt really think tactics had as much significance to do with the spanish winning the euros as i do...so anythings possible

Dzagoev only has 6 months left on his contract iirc, would be well worth a gamble cheaply (or on a free in January). I'm guessing he ends up at Chelsea though, think Abramovich would like to have a good Russian in his squad.

some of your comments really confuse me. how can dzagoev be like pav?

Did you watch the euros? Or for a matter of fact have you consistently watched Russian footballers either playing for their clubs are together for the national team? When in good form and motivated, they have some really excellent players, but when they can't be arsed (which is frequently), they might as well not be playing. I question the mentality and desire of Russian footballers.

i'm trying to give the BOD on this one. that he's thought it through more than just nationality

having said that, jurgen doesnt really think tactics had as much significance to do with the spanish winning the euros as i do...so anythings possible

This coming from the person who doesn't rate and has completely written off Mario Gomez and his 80 odd goals in the last two seasons after you admitted a few weeks ago that you've hardly seen him play?

Look at the history of football and the winners of the World Cup, European Championships and European Cups tend to the teams that have the best players. If your an average team, all the tactics in the world will only get you so far.

This coming from the person who doesn't rate and has completely written off Mario Gomez and his 80 odd goals in the last two seasons after you admitted a few weeks ago that you've hardly seen him play?

Look at the history of football and the winners of the World Cup, European Championships and European Cups tend to the teams that have the best players. If your an average team, all the tactics in the world will only get you so far.

Greece?

Did you watch the euros? Or for a matter of fact have you consistently watched Russian footballers either playing for their clubs are together for the national team? When in good form and motivated, they have some really excellent players, but when they can't be arsed (which is frequently), they might as well not be playing. I question the mentality and desire of Russian footballers.

i'm looking at Dzagoev's movement, his positioning, technical ability and how he used the ball in the Euros, i'm comparing it to everything i know of Pav...and i cant see the relation at all between the two in playing style or commitment

yours was based around nationality, which is nearly criminal depending on what kind of topic you use. "He's Russian, therefore beware, cause russians in general means X,Y and Z". Do you apply that kind of logic often? i would understand it if you applied it to their league...but their nationality?

no thanks

i take pride in this. I would rather be the person who digs into his own knowledge, uses his own eyes and asseses a walking donkey with good finishing skills Like Mario Gomez than be the one that claims tactics isnt important (or to be fair on your comment...isnt THAT in important.) to win a football match

i've seen enough of Gomez..he hasnt changed from what i saw in him about 4 years ago in one of the big international tournys..where he was a donkey. running on the words of internet guys who i thought knew what too look for when assesing a players skills you can imagine my immense dissapintment when i say Gomez home and away against real..FULL games. again chelsea..FULL game and in the Euros. That man is living off of the work or propaganda and intense marketing and football media money hell bent on brainwashing the masses and turning them in stats worshipping (in the wrong context) zombies. I will not let this thing go with mario Gomez, such is my belief that he is vastly overrated because he is foregin and playing for G14 club in a weaker league

dont get me wrong , i do see where you're coming from (at least in a lets take time and consider everthing that someone is saying) and i appreciate that you are one of the few posters that consistently plays the ball and not the man. but tactics may not win you things often but it is one of , if not THE most important aspect of football.

infact your german league is proof of this, consistent competition from different teams over the course of the last 10 years and if reviews are to be believed...the tactical nous is what bridges the gap between differing tiers of teams

Last edited:

arsenal , when wenger FIRST broke on the scene.

or is someone going to tell me that nigel winterburn and lee dixon were as good as they were under wenger all their career? wenger used them right and changed the way arsenal played..tactics. does funny things when you actually apply them.

i'm looking at Dzagoev's movement, his positioning, technical ability and how he used the ball in the Euros, i'm comparing it to everything i know of Pav...and i cant see the relation at all between the two in playing style or commitment

yours was based around nationality, which is nearly criminal depending on what kind of topic you use. "He's Russian, therefore beware, cause russians in general means X,Y and Z". Do you apply that kind of logic often? i would understand it if you applied it to their league...but their nationality?

no thanks

You have got to admit, Russians have hardly excelled in the premier league have they? I do not watch Russian football so I did not mean to cast aspersions on all Russian footballers, but judging from the ones that have played in England and the players who play for their national side, I have come to the conclusion that they are technically gifted, but unfortunately incredibly lazy at times and show a lack of heart/courage. How infuriating was it to see Pav banging goals in for Spurs in one game, but the very next game act like he genuinely couldn't give a brick?! Redknapp stated on more than one occasion that Pav needs a rocket to get the best out of him.

That is why I am skeptical about signing Dzagoev, because I have no doubt that the guy can play and has ability based on what I've seen from him. I watched every single game of the Euros. Didn't that tournament just sum up Russia? Brilliant in the first game but poor in the next two games and ultimately finished 3rd in a group which they should have easily won!

i take pride in this. I would rather be the person who digs into his own knowledge, uses his own eyes and asseses a walking donkey with good finishing skills Like Mario Gomez than be the one that claims tactics isnt important (or to be fair on your comment...isnt THAT in important.) to win a football match

i've seen enough of Gomez..he hasnt changed from what i saw in him about 4 years ago in one of the big international tournys..where he was a donkey. running on the words of internet guys who i thought knew what too look for when assesing a players skills you can imagine my immense dissapintment when i say Gomez home and away against real..FULL games. again chelsea..FULL game and in the Euros. That man is living off of the work or propaganda and intense marketing and football media money hell bent on brainwashing the masses and turning them in stats worshipping (in the wrong context) zombies. I will not let this thing go with mario Gomez, such is my belief that he is vastly overrated because he is foregin and playing for G14 club in a weaker league

dont get me wrong , i do see where you're coming from (at least in a lets take time and consider everthing that someone is saying) and i appreciate that you are one of the few posters that consistently plays the ball and not the man. but tactics may not win you things often but it is one of , if not THE most important aspect of football.

infact your german league is proof of this, consistent competition from different teams over the course of the last 10 years and if reviews are to be believed...the tactical nous is what bridges the gap between differing tiers of teams

You don't get nearly 80 goals in two seasons and be consistently be one of the top scorer in European football during the last few years by propaganda. But we will have to agree to disagree about Gomez. I can see why some people would question his overall play, but he puts the ball in the back of the net at the end of the day which is ultimately what strikers are paid to do, and he does it better than most strikers in world football!

Maybe I was a bit dismissive when it comes to tactics, but I still believe that talent will win out over tactics. I mean Roberto Martinez for example has a reputation as one of the best tacticians in the premier league and a real promising young manager, and yet you still find Wigan in a relegation battle every single season. If he had better players with his system, I'm sure they would be higher up the table.

Arsene Wenger is not great when it comes to tactics in my opinion, many Arsenal fans agree with me including members of my extended family who are Arsenal season ticket holders. And yet he consistently has Arsenal in the top 4. Tactics are probably one of Wenger's weaknesses.

Redknapp has never been known for being tactically astute either, although I don't think he's as bad as people make him out to be, it's certainly not his strength when it comes to management. His man management skills and getting the best out of players are his main strengths.

Of course decent tactics and putting players in their correct positions can improve a team's chances of winning. Roy Hodgson made England very hard to beat at the Euros and made us defensively solid. But at the end of the day, the team got as far as their ability could take thme, we are simply not as good as Italy, Portugal, Spain and Germany.

Let me ask you a question. Do you believe Barca win trophies and dominate European football like they have in recent years because of their great players or because of tactics. In truth, it's probably a combination of the two, but I believe that it's more down to the players ability. There is only so much a manager can do to prepare his team.

it depends.

a great manager uses tactics and players as tools, to get the best results.
for top clubs you will need both to compete day in day out, locally and abroad.

Is it my imagination or are Modric and his Danchev behaving themselves well during all this? I don't think I've heard malicious gossiping, muck-spreading or moaning from them yet. If Modric wants away to RM, fair enough, he deserves the move, we'll get huge cash, and maybe in a way we are too dependent on him and need to find more than one way to tick. I just hope if he does move that himself and Spurs play clean and act nice.

Back