• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric - No Longer A Spurs Player

Is it my imagination or are Modric and his Danchev behaving themselves well during all this? I don't think I've heard malicious gossiping, muck-spreading or moaning from them yet. If Modric wants away to RM, fair enough, he deserves the move, we'll get huge cash, and maybe in a way we are too dependent on him and need to find more than one way to tick. I just hope if he does move that himself and Spurs play clean and act nice.

I think (completely independent from rerab or whatever his ITK name is) that Levy has asked them to keep it a bit more silent.
They don't have to shout, the interest is there regardless.

But I still think he'll be playing for Spurs 8)

Is it my imagination or are Modric and his Danchev behaving themselves well during all this? I don't think I've heard malicious gossiping, muck-spreading or moaning from them yet. If Modric wants away to RM, fair enough, he deserves the move, we'll get huge cash, and maybe in a way we are too dependent on him and need to find more than one way to tick. I just hope if he does move that himself and Spurs play clean and act nice.

two possibilites, IMO

1- we are ready to sell - we think with a new manager coming in being able tio hand him and extra X amount of transfer money via the Modric sale is more important than hanging on to him (which was the case last summer) in this situation i would imagine all parties are aware a deal is going through so no need to try and force Levy's hand via the media

2- Modric is content to see out another season with us and see how we fare under Villa Boas

I have a sneaky suspicion that Modric will stay with us for one more season. He will see how this season pans out and im sure he will have/had discussions with AVB

I have a sneaky suspicion that Modric will stay with us for one more season. He will see how this season pans out and im sure he will have/had discussions with AVB

I hope your suspicions are correct, we need to do all we can to get him to stay.

it depends.

a great manager uses tactics and players as tools, to get the best results.
for top clubs you will need both to compete day in day out, locally and abroad.

I think most fans over rate tactics massively. I think if you were a fly on the wall of most dressing rooms during team talks you'd be shocked at how basic they are! It's more down to the players I think.

I do disagree with those saying Wenger isn't tactical though. He isn't a tactical genius (as demonstrated by Arsenal's generally poor showings in the Champion's League) and he does seem to struggle with a Plan B, but then so do most Managers. Fergie isn't tactical either, and he is another who often struggles with a Plan B when faced against a team with players as good as his own. And yet those are the two most successful Premiership managers!

Alternatively people like Sam Allardyce and Glenn Hoddle are very tactical, and yet achieved very little.

I hope you're right! Although it's a no lose situation as long as we conduct our business early. If he does go, the money that AVB will have to play with will be immense! Especially if VDV goes too.

I'm edging towards this line of thinking too. Getting some of the transfers done early, along with potential other targets.
Maybe, just maybe it might persuade him to give it one more season

Nah I think rebrab may actually be right, the move to Madrid is already quite far down the line so he's told him to keep quiet otherwise he'll make him stay again.

I think most fans over rate tactics massively. I think if you were a fly on the wall of most dressing rooms during team talks you'd be shocked at how basic they are! It's more down to the players I think.

I do disagree with those saying Wenger isn't tactical though. He isn't a tactical genius (as demonstrated by Arsenal's generally poor showings in the Champion's League) and he does seem to struggle with a Plan B, but then so do most Managers. Fergie isn't tactical either, and he is another who often struggles with a Plan B when faced against a team with players as good as his own. And yet those are the two most successful Premiership managers!

Alternatively people like Sam Allardyce and Glenn Hoddle are very tactical, and yet achieved very little.

and what do you say about Mourinho?

IMO the majority of tactical work is done on the training field, not in-game.

Its in the patterns of play rehearsed into players, the defensive shape, the offensive movement, the interations between partnreships...

Once you get to a game this then happens more naturally to the managers design.

Of course in-game tactics take effect through instructions to change shape or through substitutions - but a managers input at this point is limited. This is why I like the idea of a coach willing to work more on the training field to set the team up.

I kind of think there's a good chance Modric will stay...just reading the Vert interview and he talks about hoping Modric will stay. It got me thinking, there will be all this buzz at the training ground and around the club. New signings coming in, introducing themselves to the lads, intensity of training picking up, new contracts, ambition being shown by the club in terms of seemingly raising the wage structure, Modric would surely think 'is it actually worth leaving?'

He'd be the odd one out. Wanting to leave when everyone else has such a buzz. The club seems to be going places, he would be playing under a manager that would play him in a way that suits him and wanted him last year, and we've probably got a wage hike on the table for him if he wanted to sign. Maybe Madrid is tough to turn down, but maybe it's worth seeing where this club goes.

Am I the only one on here who is looking forward to us getting rid of Modric? Very good player I agree, but I simply have no time for a player who a year later is still so desperate to leave my club. Being one of our very best players I think he just phoned in a number of performances during the last third of the season. The sooner he moves on the sooner the media circus that follows his transfer saga will get out of town too

Last edited:
Am I the only one on here who is looking forward to us getting rid of Modric? Very good player I agree, but I simply have no time for a player who a year later is so desperate to leave my club. Being one of our very best players I think he just phoned in a number of performances during the last third of the season. The sooner he moves on the sooner the media circus that follows his transfer saga will get out of town too

Ultimately this

Am I the only one on here who is looking forward to us getting rid of Modric? Very good player I agree, but I simply have no time for a player who a year later is still so desperate to leave my club. Being one of our very best players I think he just phoned in a number of performances during the last third of the season. The sooner he moves on the sooner the media circus that follows his transfer saga will get out of town too

For me not at all, would much rather he stayed.

There will always be a media circus. Vertonghen will have his in a year or two. Bale will have his next summer, Sigurdsson might have one, Walker might end up with one, and so on.

Our best players will always be sold by the press.

I kind of think there's a good chance Modric will stay...just reading the Vert interview and he talks about hoping Modric will stay. It got me thinking, there will be all this buzz at the training ground and around the club. New signings coming in, introducing themselves to the lads, intensity of training picking up, new contracts, ambition being shown by the club in terms of seemingly raising the wage structure, Modric would surely think 'is it actually worth leaving?'

He'd be the odd one out. Wanting to leave when everyone else has such a buzz. The club seems to be going places, he would be playing under a manager that would play him in a way that suits him and wanted him last year, and we've probably got a wage hike on the table for him if he wanted to sign. Maybe Madrid is tough to turn down, but maybe it's worth seeing where this club goes.

I think that Modric is more interested in the buzz of earning £150k a week

Or maybe just interested in winning trophies,like La Liga and CL? ;)

150k aint bad but youre kinda right. Plus playing with some of the very best players in the world, best Manager in the world and in front of 80,000 spectators not to mention enjoying Madrid the city.

If Modric goes we announce to the world that we are a selling club. The media circus will then be here to stay. Just watch the vultures circle.
I'm quite happy for the focus to be all on Modric and not the rest of our talented squad.

Back