• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric - No Longer A Spurs Player

As much as I love n hate the **** Modric HAS to leave for two reasons.

He will leave eventually and at best he will leave next season

More importantly if we dont sell Modric NOW then we wont get Moutinho and he will go to the likes of manure which will mean next season we wont be left with many suitable replacements.

I disagree completely. Even next summer he will still have 3 years left on his current contract should he stay.

He is one of our very best players (if not the best), we're trying to build and push on and we're seemingly willing to invest in new players to get there. If we can keep hold of one of our best players even for just another season, then let's do so.

Look at Arsenal, what if they had thought last summer "He will leave eventually and at best he will leave next season"? The extra couple of years they managed to keep Fabregas really helped them as well, might have slipped out of CL footy if not for it.

After AS in Spain reporting on Friday that Real Madrid's transfer for Luka Modric was almost complete, they are now saying the opposite. The report last week was rather embarrassingly based on a TV station saying a deal was almost done - the station had got that from not seeing Modric in the photos for the launch of the new Spurs kit.

Source: Sports Witness

Today AS and other Spanish press go back to the long held position that Real Madrid will not pay more than €30m for Luka Modric but will throw in Ricardo Carvalho to sweeten the deal. The 34 year old Portuguese defender was rumoured to be available on a free transfer earlier this summer so the inclusion of him in any deal isn't likely to swing it.

In reality there hasn't been any actual news on the transfer for a while and other than the regular fabricated 'Modric deal could be concluded within hours' stories, it's very quiet on his future. Manchester United have been linked with other players, PSG seem to have blown their transfer 'budget' and Chelsea haven't been closely linked
with him this summer.

Options are running out and any interested parties will know this. Luka Modric, according to AS, faces returning to England this week and Spurs on Wednesday with his tail between his legs. The player had clearly assumed a deal would have been completed by now and the talk of setting Real Madrid a deadline, which started in Croatia, has had little impact on anybody.

It's claimed that Modric is desperate not to travel with Spurs to the USA in less than a week because he fears he could harm his prospects of joining Real Madrid. There's been debate as to whether there is genuine interest from the La Liga champions or whether the player himself has been attempting to engineer the move.

If there is interest, the repeated claim that the club won't pay more than €30m presents a worry for Daniel Levy.

Transfer speculation harmed Modric's form last season and this summer it's been upped a notch, if Madrid won't go near the valuation then he can bet that Manchester United won't.

Luka Modric could present himself at Spurs this week with a whole wheelbarrow of issues.

€30m should be a complete no go! I think it will be too.

Would be interesting to know what Modric thinks of all this, we haven't seen the nasty articles we had last summer so far at least.

we are (were) privileged to have seen such a player at WHL

Great to see him play when at his best, but has started to annoy me somewhat. We need to resolve this one way or another as soon as possible to give AVB the best chance of gelling the squad together. I'd probably have him training by himself so his agent would be pressured to force a deal through.

Great to see him play when at his best, but has started to annoy me somewhat. We need to resolve this one way or another as soon as possible to give AVB the best chance of gelling the squad together. I'd probably have him training by himself so his agent would be pressured to force a deal through.

How would that help?

You don't think his agent is already doing what he can to engineer a move? Us going public with giving up on him (something having him train on his own would certainly do) would only make it clear that we have no hopes of actually keeping him and hand much more negotiating power over to Real and the other clubs.

We should do our utmost to make it so that there is a plausible way he ends up staying and thriving within the club. If that is beyond possible we should at the very least make sure that other clubs believe it is possible.

I disagree completely. Even next summer he will still have 3 years left on his current contract should he stay.

He is one of our very best players (if not the best), we're trying to build and push on and we're seemingly willing to invest in new players to get there. If we can keep hold of one of our best players even for just another season, then let's do so.

Look at Arsenal, what if they had thought last summer "He will leave eventually and at best he will leave next season"? The extra couple of years they managed to keep Fabregas really helped them as well, might have slipped out of CL footy if not for it.

€30m should be a complete no go! I think it will be too.

Would be interesting to know what Modric thinks of all this, we haven't seen the nasty articles we had last summer so far at least.

Will Modric be worth 40m next summer? nope. Will he be worth 30m? just about. I think he should leave. He is a brilliant player but im being pragmatic about it from a financial, longevity and maybe the team point of view. He wants to leave and we want players to play for us so lets just make some money at the peak of his career and get in Moutinho. Moutinho may well not be as good as Modric, not many are, but he is an excellent player who seems to want to play for us and AVB.

How would that help?

You don't think his agent is already doing what he can to engineer a move? Us going public with giving up on him (something having him train on his own would certainly do) would only make it clear that we have no hopes of actually keeping him and hand much more negotiating power over to Real and the other clubs.

We should do our utmost to make it so that there is a plausible way he ends up staying and thriving within the club. If that is beyond possible we should at the very least make sure that other clubs believe it is possible.

Him staying and thriving just isn't plausible imo. If his head was fully in he game then he could be a major part of a new era of Spurs history, but the reality is, he sees himself at a higher level than Spurs.

1. The chances of winning trophies are much higher and he'd have to do less to win them as he'd be joining a team which has a stranglehold on an entire league alongside Barca as opposed to an underdog of a stronger league (imo, mainly because of the tv money laws and buy back clauses and such, but that's for another thread)

2. He'd also be making double what he would here, perhaps more.

3. He would step out on the pitch alongside some of the finest players in the world, representing one of the (if not the biggest) clubs in the world.

I'd love to be able to tell you which of the reasons matters the most to him, I really would. I'd rather AVB has a fresh start to do that this issue must be resolved.

Modric is a great player, his technical ability and passing range is phenomenal, no doubt about it. But I don't believe that he is winner, he is one that shys away on the big games, does not lead by example, is a moany bastard and also should be much more prolific than what he is. Three teams miraculously managed to finish above us without having Luka Modric, the year before that four teams somehow managed it, he is not the be all and end all of footballing prowess. I am bored of the saga and the only way to sort it out is him leaving.

It won't be a case of replacing him, it will be a case of using the funds he brings in to get the players that AVB needs to perform in his system. An unmotivated bottler who has a high opinion of himself isn't what AVB needs to take this club forward. He wasn't a superstar when we bought him, there isn't a need to buy a superstar to fill the gap he leaves either.

Last edited:
Will Modric be worth 40m next summer? nope. Will he be worth 30m? just about. I think he should leave. He is a brilliant player but im being pragmatic about it from a financial, longevity and maybe the team point of view. He wants to leave and we want players to play for us so lets just make some money at the peak of his career and get in Moutinho. Moutinho may well not be as good as Modric, not many are, but he is an excellent player who seems to want to play for us and AVB.

Financial longevity? Joao Moutinho is only a year younger than Modric and from the reports we'll end up spending most of the Modric money to get Moutinho.

I struggle to see how a deal like this would be a positive one for the club sportingly or financially. It might be the best we can do if Modric is desperate enough to leave though.

Him staying and thriving just isn't plausible imo. If his head was fully in he game then he could be a major part of a new era of Spurs history, but the reality is, he sees himself at a higher level than Spurs.

1. The chances of winning trophies are much higher and he'd have to do less to win them as he'd be joining a team which has a stranglehold on an entire league alongside Barca as opposed to an underdog of a stronger league (imo, mainly because of the tv money laws and buy back clauses and such, but that's for another thread)

2. He'd also be making double what he would here, perhaps more.

3. He would step out on the pitch alongside some of the finest players in the world, representing one of the (if not the biggest) clubs in the world.

I'd love to be able to tell you which of the reasons matters the most to him, I really would. I'd rather AVB has a fresh start to do that this issue must be resolved.

Modric is a great player, his technical ability and passing range is phenomenal, no doubt about it. But I don't believe that he is winner, he is one that shys away on the big games, does not lead by example, is a moany bastard and also should be much more prolific than what he is. Three teams miraculously managed to finish above us without having Luka Modric, the year before that four teams somehow managed it, he is not the be all and end all of footballing prowess. I am bored of the saga and the only way to sort it out is him leaving.

It won't be a case of replacing him, it will be a case of using the funds he brings in to get the players that AVB needs to perform in his system. An unmotivated bottler who has a high opinion of himself isn't what AVB needs to take this club forward. He wasn't a superstar when we bought him, there isn't a need to buy a superstar to fill the gap he leaves either.

I understand why Modric would like to join Real.

I understand that people think he won't perform if we force him to stay.

None of that answers my question of "why would it help to have him train on his own?"

I'm not getting into the whole "how good is Modric" debate unless he actually stays. I'm bored with the saga as well, that doesn't really change anything though! I can only assume Levy won't care about that either.

Financial longevity? Joao Moutinho is only a year younger than Modric and from the reports we'll end up spending most of the Modric money to get Moutinho.

Well, if we want a similar calibre replacement - we can't expect to get away with 10m, can we? Sadly clubs know that too and will most likely play hard ball

Last edited:
I understand why Modric would like to join Real.

I understand that people think he won't perform if we force him to stay.

None of that answers my question of "why would it help to have him train on his own?"

I'm not getting into the whole "how good is Modric" debate unless he actually stays. I'm bored with the saga as well, that doesn't really change anything though! I can only assume Levy won't care about that either.

If he believes himself so be of a much higher calibre of player then he can have his own training sessions. I realise it wouldn't really help but I just plain don't like the guy to be honest, looking forward to a conclusion and henceforth a fresh start for our new manager.

Most fans would say Modric was better in the 10/11 season than the one just gone, but on SSN they put up numerous stats and Modric was better in ever single category last season.

RM are reported sniffing around Silva too. And yes I know they are not the same type of player but I can't see Madrid buying both of these players at 40mil each or whatever. Maybe Madrid has rather pragmatically decided to keep faith with Sahin, who has never really had an extended run in the team for various reasons, rather than spunk 40mil on Modric. Who is he going to dislodge from a team that beat Barca to the league title anyway.

The list of suitors is shrinking.

If he believes himself so be of a much higher calibre of player then he can have his own training sessions. I realise it wouldn't really help but I just plain don't like the guy to be honest, looking forward to a conclusion and henceforth a fresh start for our new manager.

What about the club being more important than any one player?

You would rather see personal feelings of dislike towards a player be put ahead of what is best for the club?

Luckily I'm quite sure Daniel Levy will be a lot more pragmatic than that.

Well, if we want a similar calibre replacement - we can't expect to get away with 10m, can we? Sadly clubs know that too and will most likely play hard ball

I agree of course, kind of the point I was making when arguing against the idea that financially getting rid of Modric to bring in Moutinho would be a good thing.

Most fans would say Modric was better in the 10/11 season than the one just gone, but on SSN they put up numerous stats and Modric was better in ever single category last season.

Again, not looking to get into the whole "how good is/was Modric" debate unless he actually ends up staying. SSN stats or not, I think he was very good last season. Probably our best player. You probably could have predicted last summer that he would be rated lower by many because of what he did.

RM are reported sniffing around Silva too. And yes I know they are not the same type of player but I can't see Madrid buying both of these players at 40mil each or whatever. Maybe Madrid has rather pragmatically decided to keep faith with Sahin, who has never really had an extended run in the team for various reasons, rather than spunk 40mil on Modric. Who is he going to dislodge from a team that beat Barca to the league title anyway.

The list of suitors is shrinking.

I agree. Although I think it's by far more likely that he will go it's very important that the club makes sure the relationship between him and the rest of the squad and management is as good as possible in case he does end up staying.

I strongly believe that a game of football is won and lost in the dressing room before the game and it all depends on what is going on in a players head as to whether he performs at the optimum level or not.

We all saw what happened when Berbatov decided to sulk and publically train on his own and it took some master negotiations from Levy to get a top price for him.

For me, if Luka has set his heart on leaving, we should rely on Levy to engineer the best deal for him, whilst not overpaying for a replacement.

From what I saw of Moutinho in the Euro's he could be a good fit for us? However, is there anyone else out there who would be cheaper, but would work in the system that AVB is developing?

What about the club being more important than any one player?

You would rather see personal feelings of dislike towards a player be put ahead of what is best for the club?

Luckily I'm quite sure Daniel Levy will be a lot more pragmatic than that.

It is, I don't understand how that comment is relevant. Where have I said otherwise?

I am entirely aware that making Modric publically train by himself wouldn't be a wise move in the long run, it would just be a way of expressing our annoyance about how complicated he has made things, ever since the interview on the boat a year ago. Had he gone about it in a better way rather than attempting to call Levy's bluff in public then the situation would be less messy.

I think the main difference between our views is that you think Modric has a future here, and whilst I'd like to agree with you I just don't see it. Therefore anything that can push negotiations further along is a benefit.

I agree. Although I think it's by far more likely that he will go it's very important that the club makes sure the relationship between him and the rest of the squad and management is as good as possible in case he does end up staying.

This. While I think he will leave there is a chance that he will not, so Spurs must proceed on the basis that he will be here next season. Fully participation in pre-season is the minimum you would expect. He is getting paid to do it after all.

My take on the relative silence and lack of info on the Modric transfer is simply that it means the whole thing is in train and that no side in the negotiations - DL, Luka, Madrid - see any great advantage in blabbing about it.

Levy because it's not his style anyway. Luka because he doesn't want to tinkle Levy off for fear he'll pull the plug again. And Madrid because the deal might involve player-exchange which they'd want to keep quiet in case it doesn't work and the player involved has to stay next season, and also because they know Levy is prickly and won't put up with any shenanigans.

If they were all shouting from the roof tops and red tops, I'd be more inclined to think there was nothing happening or there was a serious snag.

It is, I don't understand how that comment is relevant. Where have I said otherwise?

I am entirely aware that making Modric publically train by himself wouldn't be a wise move in the long run, it would just be a way of expressing our annoyance about how complicated he has made things, ever since the interview on the boat a year ago. Had he gone about it in a better way rather than attempting to call Levy's bluff in public then the situation would be less messy.

I think the main difference between our views is that you think Modric has a future here, and whilst I'd like to agree with you I just don't see it. Therefore anything that can push negotiations further along is a benefit.

You said: "I realise it wouldn't really help but I just plain don't like the guy to be honest"

I read that as instead of hoping for what is best for the club, or what would actually help the situation, you would rather see something done that would punish him.

You say again that it "wouldn't be a wise move in the long run". Well, how about hoping that the club does what is the wise thing...

Again, giving Real more power in the negotiations isn't to our benefit. If we just wanted to move the negotiations along in a way that didn't benefit us we could just accept whatever offer they've made so far.

Back