• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Michael Dawson

I can almost guarantee had Mourinho, Moyes Martinez come in they would not have got rid of dawson given our current crop of defenders. The last 3 managers thought of him highly enough to make him a starter.

No I don't see him as a defensive GHod. He's not of the same level as Vidic Leds, Rio puyol Pique Pepe or Company. But he's no slouch and arguably better than any of our other defenders as we have not signed any in that list. Posters seem to have forgotten his contribution in the past and think it is ok just to get rid?

Dont take it the wrong way, I wasnt having a dig at you.

I dont think anyone is underselling his contribution, just recognising its more a case of "horses for courses".

If it is the case his style doesnt fit, what is the point in keeping him on?

I can almost guarantee had Mourinho, Moyes Martinez come in they would not have got rid of dawson given our current crop of defenders. The last 3 managers thought of him highly enough to make him a starter.

None of Mourinho, Moyes or Martinez are our manager.

AVB is.

His priorities are not necessarily the same as those other managers. His team will not necessarily play in the same way as those other managers' teams. He is in the best position to decide which of our current players are best suited to the way that he wants Spurs to play.

Spurs have made the decision to appoint AVB. The best that we can now do is allow him to manage the club as he sees fit rather than expecting him to manage as we think other managers might have managed.

There's no way of knowing what another manager would do. Dawson might not fit AVB's particular system. Maybe he would fit in a different playing style, so it's irrelevant what another crop of managers would do.

You can never be too sure, I can see the logic in it even taking aside AVB's high line.

Gallas is not worth any money if we sell him because of his age, but Dawson is. If we are to stick with four, it makes sense to have Kaboul and Vertonghen as the two "prime" centre-backs, with Gallas as the older head and Caulker as the young gun who gets more opportunities as the season goes on and graduates to the 3rd CB and then hopefully one day to first choice. If Dawson is here too then he won't get near the first team. We could have loaned him out again but perhaps AVB wants him to learn from Gallas while he's still here.

As long as they're fit we'll start with two of Gallas, Kaboul and Vertonghen, that much seems obvious. Is it then preferable to have Caulker or Dawson as the 4th CB? We could loan Caulker somewhere, but Dawson will only drop in value. Caulker also doesn't need to be in the 25 man squad.

If Harry was still here then Dawson wouldn't be a starter.

And if we hired Guardiola, he would probably sell him just like AVB is.

Moyes and Mourinho would probably make him a starter, but they play a deeper line and a more rigid brand of football.

No I don't see him as a defensive GHod. He's not of the same level as Vidic Leds, Rio puyol Pique Pepe or Company. But he's no slouch and arguably better than any of our other defenders as we have not signed any in that list. Posters seem to have forgotten his contribution in the past and think it is ok just to get rid?

Nah, no way will I accept he is a superior central defender to Kaboul. After Kaboul's last 2 seasons at the club I currently rate him as our most important central defender. I also think Dawson has given away waay too many penalties to be our best defender. I do like him as a bloke however, and I would definitely have kept him ahead of 35 year old Gallas.

I also think Gallas picks up more injuries than Dawson even though Dawson's last 2 injuries he picked were long term

I also think it is disingenuous to call someone injury prone when they pick up injuries during physical contact in a match

Last edited:
The positive thing about this is that we'll probably see alot of Caulker this season. For a club in QPR's position, Dawson is a fantastic signing, that much is certain.

I would be happy with Gallas, Vert, Kaboul and Caulker as our centre back options this season.

Would be sad to see Dawson go, a lot of fond memories and a lot of great moments with him at the club, seems like a great guy and he's always seemed happy to be with us. I think giving Caulker games instead will be a benefit long term though.

Nah, no way will I accept he is a superior central defender to Kaboul. After Kaboul's last 2 seasons at the club I currently rate him as our most important central defender. I also think Dawson has given away waay too many penalties to be our best defender. I do like him as a bloke however, and I would definitely have kept him ahead of 35 year old Gallas.

I also think Gallas picks up more injuries than Dawson even though Dawson's last 2 injuries he picked were long term

I also think it is disingenuous to call someone injury prone when they pick up injuries during physical contact in a match

Mate, still not entirely convinced by Kaboul. He's definately matured but has too many lapses of concentration for my liking - put that next to BAE and that's a lot of mistakes waiting to happen. I know Daws has given away a lot of pens his main weakness imho is winning headers in the box under pressure. But I remember when he was our only fit defender and held the line superbly. Still each to their own. Funny in the last 24 hours I've gone from frustrated, to elated then gutted - how typically spurs!

Erm. No you can't.

great get out that cannot be proved or disproved either way. But I'm sure Daws would be a Moyes type player, Mourinho is not known for going in and making wholesale changes immediately and likes to build on the spirit of a team. As for Martinez could really give a brick I didn't want him as manager. :lol:

I deffo dont want Dawson to go either. At least not until January. I think we should wait and see how our leading four CBs get on in the first half of the season. At Christmas, it may well be that we would be crying out for Dawson instead of Gallas - particularly if there are some injuries here. Look at Man U v Everton, despite all their CB resources they had to play Carrick at CB!

Dont sell Daws - at least not yet.

great get out that cannot be proved or disproved either way. But I'm sure Daws would be a Moyes type player, Mourinho is not known for going in and making wholesale changes immediately and likes to build on the spirit of a team. As for Martinez could really give a brick I didn't want him as manager. :lol:

You can't guarantee brick. Claiming you know what managers would do with the squad we have is just making up complete gonad*s.

A starter? Last season he'd only have been a starter when king was injured. Not much of a starter if you ask me.

Back