• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Michael Dawson

I disagree Dawson is quicker and has played on his own at the back without looking like a turnip. People forget Terry has consistently played alongside Carvalho, Gallas and alex and Rio for England. Dawson has often not had a consistent partner at Spurs.

I think Dawson and Terry very similar types of players, Terry is just better at everything.

Was I the only one who saw Terry get ripped a new one last season when playing in Avb's team or similarly against Germany in the World Cup?

No, but i don't see how that makes your point valid. Mabye that's why AVB is selling Dawson, because he knows the same would happen to him if played in his system.. I'm a big fan of Dawson and don't want him to go, but i don't think he's better than Terry.

Was I the only one who saw Terry get ripped a new one last season when playing in Avb's team or similarly against Germany in the World Cup?

Terry got ripped apart as he was unsuitable for the high line. The same high line that it has been mentioned that Dawson may struggle with.

Wow, it's mighty surprising that we're going to sell Dawson really. Lets just shoehorn him into the high line and watch how badly it goes instead.

Ginola, most of your argument has nothing to do with his playing but rather what he has achieved. I base mine on what I see I don't care what most football fans see. Actually after World cup in 2010 a lot of fans wanted Terry no where near the England team.

Then all I say is that you are in a minority. Had people (England managers, Ferguson, Wenger, Benitez) seen the ability that you see in Dawson, then Dawson would most likely have been captain of the England team, be in a top 4 team for more than 10 years, had scored 28 goals for said team, and played for England 77 times!!!

No, but i don't see how that makes your point valid. Mabye that's why AVB is selling Dawson, because he knows the same would happen to him if played in his system.. I'm a big fan of Dawson and don't want him to go, but i don't think he's better than Terry.

Because I don't believe Dawson is as slow as Terry. I have seen Dawson play with no other defensive partner but Zokora for fooks sake and still hold our back line together. Terry had his butt kicked by Bale and ended up hacking him and getting sent off. I know football is about opinions but I seriously think many fans base their judgement on how many medals a player wins rather than actual ability.

Holding a high line isn't just about having the paciest defenders at the back, its about organisation and attacking the ball early. Terry wasn't just poor because he lacked pace but the Chelsea defensive line was all over the place. If you arejust relying on your defender outpacing an attacker we will concede a lot of goals next season. I can't see any reason why Dawson cannot be part of an organised high defensive line especially as he attacks high balls so well.

it's a shame to see Dawson leave, it's important to have players that identify themselves with the Club and have a good connection with the supporters - but if he isn't the right fit for the manager and isn't in his first team plans - what do you do ? Im sure Dawson himself would prefer at this stage of his career to be playing week in week out over warming our bench - no matter how much he loves the club/supporters (which in his case i do think is genuine)

I love Dawson as much as the next man but i would rather see him starting elsewhere in this instance as he deserves to be playing week in week out

I don't think this deal needs to be seen such a negative, in that people are angry with the managment - he has been here a fair time, played a huge role in our progression as a Club and is now moving on to different things - i wish him well

Last edited:
There's just so many that appear to be turning on AVB or will use this to have a go at him. 'Oooh, he doesn't fancy Hudd and Dawson, it's Lampard and Chelsea all over again.'

Its understandable, while I can see the sense in the move he is still a hugely popular and longserving player - people will be a bit emotional about that one

Nayim I posed the question earlier but didn't get any response Why would Dawson not fit into a well organised defensive high line? I'm no expert in tactics but watching chelsea last season under aVB it wasn't just about Terry being too slow but the fact that their entire defensive shape was in chaos with Bosingwa in particular often wandering to far forward. Imho if we rely on our defenders outpacing attackers who are running at them we will concede alot of goals especially to arsenal who love the ball over the top. Dawson can play well in an organised back line and he attacks the ball well. Therefore why do we want rid of arguably the best defender at the club? ? Even Bassong said in an interview today he does not understand the move as Dawson is Mr tottenham. Isn't this about AVB wanting to show whose boss

There's just so many that appear to be turning on AVB or will use this to have a go at him. 'Oooh, he doesn't fancy Hudd and Dawson, it's Lampard and Chelsea all over again.'

this is kind of the flip side of the Luka Modric/Berbatov isn't bigger than the club view point, Dawson/Huddelstone are not more important than the team/club and if management think it is best to move them on then, as sad as it is to see proper Spurs men leave, it's the only fair move - otherwise what happens ? we force the manager to accommodate players who don't fit his vision/tactics etc just because of sentiment ? they spend the season out of the team feeling un wanted and potentially causing unrest etc - this would sour the relationship - much better to have it out like this

Last edited:
Nayim I posed the question earlier but didn't get any response Why would Dawson not fit into a well organised defensive high line? I'm no expert in tactics but watching chelsea last season under aVB it wasn't just about Terry being too slow but the fact that their entire defensive shape was in chaos with Bosingwa in particular often wandering to far forward. Imho if we rely on our defenders outpacing attackers who are running at them we will concede alot of goals especially to arsenal who love the ball over the top. Dawson can play well in an organised back line and he attacks the ball well. Therefore why do we want rid of arguably the best defender at the club? ? Even Bassong said in an interview today he does not understand the move as Dawson is Mr tottenham. Isn't this about AVB wanting to show whose boss

You can also argue he'd be 5th choice. If AVB wants to bring in more players some have to leave first, so he has to give Levy some names that aren't integral to his plans.

Its understandable, while I can see the sense in the move he is still a hugely popular and longserving player - people will be a bit emotional about that one

Yep, but you have to take emotion out of the decision. £9m or whatever it is for a 28 year old defender who, whilst whole-hearted and popular, has some limitations, wont get any better and whose value will only head south (particularly if he's 5th choice CB and not playing). Its the right decision, and I do like Dawson

You can also argue he'd be 5th choice. If AVB wants to bring in more players some have to leave first, so he has to give Levy some names that aren't integral to his plans.

I don't understand this 5th choice thing. Kaboul blows hot and cold, Vert no experience in PL, Caulker still raw and Gallas injury prone 34 year old.

I don't understand this 5th choice thing. Kaboul blows hot and cold, Vert no experience in PL, Caulker still raw and Gallas injury prone 34 year old.

I would play the others ahead of Dawson. There's no single correct opinion, but I guess AVB somewhat agrees with me.

It is clear from that thread you rate Dawson a hell of a lot higher than I do. I like him, I really do, but it seems to me you rate him as some sort of defensive GHod!

Athletisism is a big part of the high line, IMO. Ability to get into positions to cover runs, and yes, dash back when you get beaten.

I dont see Dawson as having the pace or agility to make it really work.

It is also about anticipation, sensing dangers and stepping up to clear them before they really form. In the King/Dawson partnership for example, King played this role - I do not believe Dawson has it in him.

He is at his best as a reactionary, body on the line, blood and guts kind of defender. In this respect I think he is fantastic, but I also think this sort of defender is simply not what is required for the role.

Look at Caulker, Gallas, Vertonghen and Kaboul, they are all either very athletic, very intelligent/ball playing types or both.

It seems to be a definitive theme we are looking for in our CBs and Dawson stands apart as a very different type of player.

Genuinely I do not believe it is a power play by AVB, Dawson is a model pro and would do anything for the club - he isnt a Terry like tumor to be cut out. I think its nothing more than AVB looking for a certain type of player and Dawson not fitting the requirement.

Last edited:
Yep, but you have to take emotion out of the decision. £9m or whatever it is for a 28 year old defender who, whilst whole-hearted and popular, has some limitations, wont get any better and whose value will only head south (particularly if he's 5th choice CB and not playing). Its the right decision, and I do like Dawson

I dont disagree at all, I just think some take a very emotional response instead of a strictly logical one.

Football fandom is of course an emotional ride isnt it!?

It is clear from that thread you rate Dawson a hell of a lot higher than I do. I like him, I really do, but it seems to me you rate him as some sort of defensive GHod!

Athletisism is a big part of the high line, IMO. Ability to get into positions to cover runs, and yes, dash back when you get beaten.

I dont see Dawson as having the pace or agility to make it really work.

It is also about anticipation, sensing dangers and stepping up to clear them before they really form. In the King/Dawson partnership for example, King played this role - I do not believe Dawson has it in him.

He is at his best as a reactionary, body on the line, blood and guts kind of defender. In this respect I think he is fantastic, but I also think this sort of defender is simply not what is required for the role.

Look at Caulker, Gallas, Vertonghen and Kaboul, they are all either very athletic, very intelligent/ball playing types or both.

It seems to be a definitive theme we are looking for in our CBs and Dawson stands apart as a very different type of player.

Genuinely I do not believe it is a power play by AVB, Dawson is a model pro and would do anything for the club - he isnt a Terry like tumor to be cut out. I think its nothing more than AVB looking for a certain type of player and Dawson not fitting the requirement.

No I don't see him as a defensive GHod. He's not of the same level as Vidic Leds, Rio puyol Pique Pepe or Company. But he's no slouch and arguably better than any of our other defenders as we have not signed any in that list. Posters seem to have forgotten his contribution in the past and think it is ok just to get rid?

Back