• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Michael Dawson

one more step towards removing British footballers from the first team squad

fantastic

I was listening to Mick McCarthy and he commented that in the Spanish league you watch predominately Spanish players, and in the German, Italian and French leagues you watch German, italian and French players, then you look at our league and the English players and British managers are getting decimated, something should be done and soon.

Dawson is a calamity. He is the son of David James. As much as he is a nice guy and really gives his all, it doesnt make him a top CB. His positioning is shocking, his decision making is horrible at best and his long balls are legendary. It's why were selling him.

I was listening to Mick McCarthy and he commented that in the Spanish league you watch predominately Spanish players, and in the German, Italian and French leagues you watch German, italian and French players, then you look at our league and the English players and British managers are getting decimated, something should be done and soon.

They should improve the development of young players. It's the only thing that will solve it.

Except that we haven't lost any more Enlgish players than previous years and we've actually promoted youth into the senior ranks.

Dawson is a calamity. He is the son of David James. As much as he is a nice guy and really gives his all, it doesnt make him a top CB. His positioning is shocking, his decision making is horrible at best and his long balls are legendary. It's why were selling him.

AND THIS. He would give away penalties, get outdone by Aguero shockingly (the 5-1 loss) which shows he has no pace. And would lose us possession by hoofing the ball long every time. That must have been a Harry tactic as cant see AVB wanting to hoof it long

Except that we haven't lost any more Enlgish players than previous years and we've actually promoted youth into the senior ranks.

McCarthy was talking about the bigger picture, sure the quality of the PL would drop in the short term if we limited foreign players but it must help our national side.

McCarthy was talking about the bigger picture, sure the quality of the PL would drop in the short term if we limited foreign players but it must help our national side.

Yes, on a larger scale I would agree with you but the PL product controls the league, imv - i.e. they want the 'best' players, blah, blah, etc.

Sad to see him go, but I'm sure AVB knows what he's doing. The King Dawson partnership was great once upon a time, but the times change. He'll get a good reception when he returns to the Lane and rightly so.

I think the loss of Hudd is much more surprising than Daws to be honest.

WTF? Dawson is not closing down quickly, infact he is always late. Daws does okey when King is next to him holding his hand, the rest of the time he is not up to the standard a top4 club would want. There's a reason it's clubs like QPR and Sunderland he is linked with...

People should be happy we finally have a manager who are identifying the weak spots in the team, Daws is a mistake waiting to happen. But people forget it and only sees what a nice guy he is.

Have to agree to disagree dude. One of Dawsons strengths in my opinion is closing down. His mistakes often occured when he was under pressure with the high ball coming in to the box. Other than that he is immense in the air, I actually believe he is good chasing down an attaking player he is faster than Terry and would put his body down in the way of a bullet. As for the only consistent with King - I remember in the Carling cup winning season he was often the only senior Centre back paired alongside Zokora! He was immense.

Arc a poster who I have immense respect for but what has the year of him starting at Spurs have to do with how he represents the clubs spirit? Look at his qualities, Courageous, leadership, respect for club and fans.

Sad to see him go, but I'm sure AVB knows what he's doing. The King Dawson partnership was great once upon a time, but the times change. He'll get a good reception when he returns to the Lane and rightly so.

I think the loss of Hudd is much more surprising than Daws to be honest.

We haven't lost Hudd though, we've loaned him which is perfect for everyone. If he recovers from his injury fully and proves himself then great, if not then we haven't really lost anything. He's better off going somewhere he will get maximum playing time so to gain maximum fitness...

Spursalot, I want to like AVB so much but I am concerned. Mostly succesful managers have not come in and ripped out the club stalwarts. Ferguson came in and perservered with Hughes and Robson, Wenger with the Graham back 5, Mourinho with Lampard, Terry etc. I am concerned that AVB is trying too hard to shoe horn spurs into his system of playing rather than being pragmatic. He failed at Chelsea spectacularly doing it hope he doesnt make the same mistake at Spurs.

he's not got rid of anyone who was first choice though has he?

well other than Modric but that's not by choice

Spursalot, I want to like AVB so much but I am concerned. Mostly succesful managers have not come in and ripped out the club stalwarts. Ferguson came in and perservered with Hughes and Robson, Wenger with the Graham back 5, Mourinho with Lampard, Terry etc. I am concerned that AVB is trying too hard to shoe horn spurs into his system of playing rather than being pragmatic. He failed at Chelsea spectacularly doing it hope he doesnt make the same mistake at Spurs.

problem with this is that they were all great players! Dawson is not. You cant compare them.

AND THIS. He would give away penalties, get outdone by Aguero shockingly (the 5-1 loss) which shows he has no pace. And would lose us possession by hoofing the ball long every time. That must have been a Harry tactic as cant see AVB wanting to hoof it long

Ginola, surely you'll agree every great defender makes mistakes look at vidic getting done time and time away by Torres, even Leds and Rio often had losses of concentration. Agreed Daws is not beckenbaur but he is better than practically all the remaining defenders.

Im not sure "persevered" is the word - each case those players were excellent and worthy of building a side around.

You dont "Persevere" with that Arsenal back 5, you thank your lucky stars!

These players, while having been here for many years, didnt even feature last season when we finished 4th. Arguably they would have, injury permitting, but they didnt. Hardly then, that they are integral to the side, IMO.

Ginola, surely you'll agree every great defender makes mistakes look at vidic getting done time and time away by Torres, even Leds and Rio often had losses of concentration. Agreed Daws is not beckenbaur but he is better than practically all the remaining defenders.

Yeh I agree with that, I am sad to see Dawson go but I think its because he is such a nice character and that he is Spurs through and through. I don't want him to go and would have him as above Gallas maybe, but Kaboul and Verts would be my 1st choice. I wouldnt sell him but dont think he would get into a top 4 team so we should be acting like a top 4 club.

Im not sure "persevered" is the word - each case those players were excellent and worthy of building a side around.

You dont "Persevere" with that Arsenal back 5, you thank your lucky stars!

These players, while having been here for many years, didnt even feature last season when we finished 4th. Arguably they would have, injury permitting, but they didnt. Hardly then, that they are integral to the side, IMO.

Point is they also represented the heart of those teams like Dawson and Hudd do to some extent. I am not going overboard in saying I believe Dawson would not have been out of place in the Arsenal back 5. Remember he is an England centreback much more proven at Spurs and in the PL than any of Kaboul, Vert or Caulker. In fact not so long ago Kaboul was a disaster who Spurs fans were relieved to see shipped out to Portsmouth.

Point is they also represented the heart of those teams like Dawson and Hudd do to some extent. I am not going overboard in saying I believe Dawson would not have been out of place in the Arsenal back 5. Remember he is an England centreback much more proven at Spurs and in the PL than any of Kaboul, Vert or Caulker. In fact not so long ago Kaboul was a disaster who Spurs fans were relieved to see shipped out to Portsmouth.

They did not have much to do with representing the heart of the team last season.

If Dawson is such an amazing defender, then why is it QPR that are linked with signing him and not Barcelona and Real Madrid?

Kaboul was a disaster yes. However last season he was anything but. He was our most consistent CB.

Back