• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

At the time I wanted Ancellotti if he was sacked at Real Madrid but he went on to win the CL in May 2014 and wasn't going to be dismissed. Didn't mind generally between Pochettino or De Boer but slightly leant towards Poch due to his Southampton experience. Was absolutely not in favour of LvG at all, far too old school and divisive. You see it now with subs, far too much information. Has an essay prepared and its OTT when a player needs a few nuggets to focus on during play. All that heavy duty stuff should be done and dusted in the week leading up to the game.

Excellent article about Poch and some insights into his management.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/miguel-delaney-the-eyes-have-it-34655420.html

And why he's unlikely to leave for a bigger club that splashes the cash:

It means Pochettino’s reputation is only getting bigger and bigger too. (Read the whole article you dirty bastards; it's not what you think)

In all of this, it should not be forgotten that he hasn’t won a single trophy as a manager yet. The nature of his work also raises the possibility that he may have a more modern version of Louis van Gaal’s issue, that he needs malleable young players to properly implement his ideas, and might have greater struggles with the stars of a bigger club.

In all fairness LVG had a great record of winning Silverware at a variety of famous clubs. He may yet win the FA Cup this season and finish 4th, none too shabby if it were to happen. Poch's impact has been nothing short of remarkable, but I too will confess to wanting De Boer. Obviously I am delighted by our progress under Poch, long may it continue.

2 Seasons in, with the money he spent, @Manure? I would say that would be minimum bar to keep his job.

This season is actually a bonus for me with Poch, its really now, with a true first 11, ability to add a significant one or two over summer, next is what will be the measure of the new Spurs.

Excellent article about Poch and some insights into his management.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/miguel-delaney-the-eyes-have-it-34655420.html

And why he's unlikely to leave for a bigger club that splashes the cash:

It means Pochettino’s reputation is only getting bigger and bigger too. (Read the whole article you dirty bastards; it's not what you think)

In all of this, it should not be forgotten that he hasn’t won a single trophy as a manager yet. The nature of his work also raises the possibility that he may have a more modern version of Louis van Gaal’s issue, that he needs malleable young players to properly implement his ideas, and might have greater struggles with the stars of a bigger club.
Even better:

“It’s not just about this season,” Lloris enthuses. “It’s also about the next season and the project of the gaffer..."

If I were him, I'd insist upon at least four points from our next three games. That would seal his place as the man who led us to our record points total in the PL (with 73) and above Arsenal (who cannot overtake us should we secure those points) for the first time since the mid 1990's.

Anything less would see AVB fans like me pointing out that he couldn't beat Andre's record total in 2012-2013 (72) :p , and would open up the horrifying possibility of Arsenal finishing above us after all that's gone on.

Should he get us to 73pts, then Pochettino would (bar a massive swing in GD) also become the first Tottenham manager to secure a Top 2 finish since Sir Bill Nicholson!

If I were him, I'd insist upon at least four points from our next three games. That would seal his place as the man who led us to our record points total in the PL (with 73) and above Arsenal (who cannot overtake us should we secure those points) for the first time since the mid 1990's.

Anything less would see AVB fans like me pointing out that he couldn't beat Andre's record total in 2012-2013 (72) :p , and would open up the horrifying possibility of Arsenal finishing above us after all that's gone on.

We need to finish strong, I'd agree 4-6 points minimum.

But to Roy's point, I hope we all see the larger picture, we have done extremely well this season.

Can't wait to see how Poch will handle europe's elite in the CL next year, he hasn't been our manager for 2 years yet, just think what we can achieve under him next year.

We need to finish strong, I'd agree 4-6 points minimum.

But to Roy's point, I hope we all see the larger picture, we have done extremely well this season.

We've done well, no doubt. I expected at minimum 67-70 points heading into this season, which would have placed us in contention for fourth in *some* seasons but would definitely guarantee fifth, at least. That to me would have constituted s good season, and we've hit that target with three games to go (well, we'd hit it heading into this game), which constitutes significant progress, with CL footie and second place an added bonus.

If we see it out and stay in the top three, finishing with about seventy points, it will have been a very good season. *Extremely* good would require us surpassing our record points total and/or finishing above that lot from up the road, which, although I'm confident of it happening...hasn't happened yet.

Like I said, it's I'm our hands, and if I were Poch, I'd be aiming for four points from the last nine at a minumum to set records and crown a season that will then have become *excellent* in every respect. If he can beat Chelsea at the Bridge next week (breaking that hoodoo as well), all the better. More realistically, I'm expecting us to lose against Chelsea, win against Soton and then draw away to Saudi Sportswashing Machine, which is completely fine by me given that it achieves the objectives I've laid out above.

I have to say I'm a little proud of my fellow posters on the forum; I'd expected that the euphoria of the title tilt, upon dissipation, would leave a more bitter sense of 'what if' that would overshadow what has actually, tangibly been achieved this year. I'm very happy to see that that hasn't happened :) . If anyone's still sad about it, know that even an arch-pessimist like me has been thoroughly impressed by what our young lads have achieved, and that (hopefully) CL glory, glory nights under the lights at the grand old Lane in its final season will make up for missing out on the title *this* time.

It won't be our last challenge, either. If we strengthen in the summer, fill the gaps and grow as a unit....not by a long shot.

Will Chelsea turn up next week now? They've nothing to play for.
Pullis remarks after the game are a bit off, he wanted Leicester to win the league. In isolation that doesn't mean much but seeing as as almost all the clubs not involved in the chase for the league have had a player or manager now come out and say it is a bit iffy.
It's not been deliberate but maybe subconsciously it's affected performances.

Back