• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I agree with all of this including being 100% behind pouch for now, I would just like to add that significant money was also spent this summer on players pouch wanted, or at least signed off and this is another advantage pouch had over Sherwood.

I don't know if that indicates whether we would have been better of with or without Sherwood though. I know that wasn't your point, but devil's advocate and all that. Basically if you read between the lines of your post it could be understood as 'Sherwood is better than Poch because he has as good/better win % than him and he didn't have the advantage of picking his own players'. Therefore you could conclude that you are trying to say we'd be better off with Sherwood.

However, the one thing that Sherwood hasn't really been tested on yet is how he deals with having money to spend and whether or not he's able to spend it wisely. So IMO opinion you can't really include this in a comparison between the two (I know that's not what you were doing, but like I said, Devil's advocate).

I was never a Sherwood hater by the way, just an observation.

I agree with all of this including being 100% behind pouch for now, I would just like to add that significant money was also spent this summer on players pouch wanted, or at least signed off and this is another advantage pouch had over Sherwood.

Sherwood was a caretaker who had nothing to do but pick up points before the end of the season and hope he impressed enough to get the job full time - Pochettino has the job full time and with it a different set of criteria/targets. Im sure if he was given the job under the same circumstances as Sherwood then we'd have seen a different approach - similarly Sherwood may well have tackled things differently had he been given a 3 year contract and started at the beginning of the season, It's what makes this whole comparrison painfully futile you're comparing chalk and cheese and beyond a simple 'is Pochettino doing better than last season?' topic it's all rather pointless (especially when 6th v 6th is no better no worse)

Sherwood was a caretaker who had nothing to do but pick up points before the end of the season and hope he impressed enough to get the job full time - Pochettino has the job full time and with it a different set of criteria/targets. Im sure if he was given the job under the same circumstances as Sherwood then we'd have seen a different approach - similarly Sherwood may well have tackled things differently had he been given a 3 year contract and started at the beginning of the season, It's what makes this whole comparrison painfully futile you're comparing chalk and cheese and beyond a simple 'is Pochettino doing better than last season?' topic it's all rather pointless (especially when 6th v 6th is no better no worse)

The time to judge them both is when they have had a a full season plus to get across their management abilities. Just like it was IMO too hasty to judge Sherwood on his half a season with no pre season and only one winter window, it is still too early to judge Poch yet. Next season however, after two pre seasons and three transfer windows, there can be no excuse unless we see a significant improvement from his team.

I would be interested to see the respective records of Pochettino and Sherwood since Sherwood went to Villa. I assume Poch must be well ahead, but I wonder how close it is?

stats astv 14/2
ASTV: P11 W5 D1 L5 F18 A16 Pt16
W = 45.45%, D = 9.09%, L = 45.45%

stats tott 14/2
TOTT: P11 W4 D3 L4 F16 A19 Pt15
W = 36.36%, D = 27.27%, L = 36.36%

RDM is a crap manager. He did even worse than AVB did. They lowest they should have finished that season was 4th, behind us who should have finished 3rd/4th. RDM and AVB both did a poor job in the league that season.

I think they both did ok bearing in mind the context, AVB was under instruction from RA to rebuild the squad and break up the cliques. RDM then took over and RA's attitude was "brick, that didn't work, quick Roberto put it all back together". It's hard to be successful when the senior management are flip flopping on overall direction like that.

Now Durham is a wind up merchant but....................truth hurts doesnt it!!
Indeed. There isn't one bit of that article I disagree with. The worrying thing for me is that we will see more and more teams look to get the ball into the vast chasm of space that exists behind our full backs, so Pochettino had better find a successful way of countering that instead of moaning about it.

I think they both did ok bearing in mind the context, AVB was under instruction from RA to rebuild the squad and break up the cliques. RDM then took over and RA's attitude was "crud, that didn't work, quick Roberto put it all back together". It's hard to be successful when the senior management are flip flopping on overall direction like that.
AVB did a terrible job at Chelsea.... He took the 2nd best team in the country to a position outside of the top four. Di Matteo then continued a poor job in terms of league form, but got lucky with the most undeserved Champions League win in the history of the game.

I think they both did ok bearing in mind the context, AVB was under instruction from RA to rebuild the squad and break up the cliques. RDM then took over and RA's attitude was "crud, that didn't work, quick Roberto put it all back together". It's hard to be successful when the senior management are flip flopping on overall direction like that.

Break up cliques is one thing, but he alienated many players, including Lampard who went on to score 15 league goals the next season. He tried to change too much too quickly.

As Finney said, him and RDM took a team that finished 2nd the year to a position below the top 4.

Good cop bad cop.

Sherwood came into 2 teams mid season where there was much frustration around the place from the previous regime and breathed new life and enthusiasm to the players, especially the main strikers.

How many times do you see managers come in and save clubs then go down hill the next year. This happens in all forms of workplace not just football.

Simple football, buzz and momentum only last so long until teams figure you out.
Lets see how Tim does in a full season when there is no honeymoon period factor.

So anyway, Pochettino.....hes rubbish aint he?

Break up cliques is one thing, but he alienated many players, including Lampard who went on to score 15 league goals the next season. He tried to change too much too quickly.

As Finney said, him and RDM took a team that finished 2nd the year to a position below the top 4.

I think RA wanted rid of Lampard and Terry, it all came from the top IMO.

Good cop bad cop.

Sherwood came into 2 teams mid season where there was much frustration around the place from the previous regime and breathed new life and enthusiasm to the players, especially the main strikers.

How many times do you see managers come in and save clubs then go down hill the next year. This happens in all forms of workplace not just football.

Simple football, buzz and momentum only last so long until teams figure you out.
Lets see how Tim does in a full season when there is no honeymoon period factor.

So anyway, Pochettino.....hes rubbish aint he?

Nah pouch ain't rubbish, but this season he has done nothing more than an okish job, and getting worse.

As for Tim, I think he will do well next season as well, get them in or around the Europa league places, and that for team that were going down before he came, would be an achievement. But we will see.

I also think Tim does more than motivate, but that's an unpopular opinion around here.

Which were bettered by Sherwood, who also had us scoring goals and generally making us play better.

Small amount of games, but I think his win percentage at villa .....VILLA is around 55%

I strongly disagree with this. He made us completely unwatchable to me, with players having no idea what they were supposed to be doing.

Nah pouch ain't rubbish, but this season he has done nothing more than an okish job, and getting worse.

As for Tim, I think he will do well next season as well, get them in or around the Europa league places, and that for team that were going down before he came, would be an achievement. But we will see.

I also think Tim does more than motivate, but that's an unpopular opinion around here.

After he ditched Adebayor and co we've been steadily improving for months, but he's going to be rated on the last 6 games where the whole team has run out of steam?

Lampard possibly, but Terry? He played in the majority of the games that season. Can't imagine he wanted rid of Terry considering how good he still is even now, could be wrong though.

who really knows, I suppose its possible RA felt others were getting all the gratitude and he wanted some for himself

I strongly disagree with this. He made us completely unwatchable to me, with players having no idea what they were supposed to be doing.
I don't think any of our games were more unwatchable than our recent heavy losses to Man Utd or Stoke. If the players had an idea of what they were supposed to be doing in those two games then GHod help us, as what they were doing was absolutely woeful.

Players had no idea what they were doing, yet he had almost a 60% win percentage?, is he some kind of wizzard?

Back