• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Saw some piece by Steve Claridge today that ****ed me right off. Went along the lines of "It's taken a long time but Poch has got it right eventually".

It's exactly the sort of mentality that spawns short term thinking. Poch inherited a bunch of soft players and a team with non identity. He's gotten good results even leaving yesterday aside. He'll have some bad results in the future but, as long as we aren't struggling in the bottom half, he deserves a couple of seasons.

There have been signs over the last few months of things moving in the right direction and yesterday was the pinnacle of Poch's time so far but we are still a team in transition. It takes longer than six months to turn us from what we were to what we want to be.

Same as was the case early in the season - we need to be patient and give him the whole season, at least.

Same as was the case early in the season - we need to be patient and give him the whole season, at least.

I understand what the "patience" crowd is saying, I just don't think its reality.

You cannot get long term time without some short term results in modern football (or business).

Poch needed a good run of results + a significant win/performance, he got both in the last 3 weeks.

That short term set, has likely bought him the longer term timeframe he needs.

I understand what the "patience" crowd is saying, I just don't think its reality.

You cannot get long term time without some short term results in modern football (or business).

Poch needed a good run of results + a significant win/performance, he got both in the last 3 weeks.

I think the club was behind him all along. No one gets long term without some short term results, but we were hovering around mid-table and some of our fans were acting like we had 2 points from 8 games.

I think the club was behind him all along. No one gets long term without some short term results, but we were hovering around mid-table and some of our fans were acting like we had 2 points from 8 games.

You would like to think so, but make no mistake, another mauling yesterday at WHL from a big club, a couple of poor results in January and I'm not so sure he would have been safe.

A lot of Poch's problems are not really his own, e.g. the stuffing from top 4 teams in last 18 months, divisive nature of fanbase after Redknapp/AVB/TS, etc. but he is the one charged with fixing it.

You would like to think so, but make no mistake, another mauling yesterday at WHL from a big club, a couple of poor results in January and I'm not so sure he would have been safe.

A lot of Poch's problems are not really his own, e.g. the stuffing from top 4 teams in last 18 months, divisive nature of fanbase after Redknapp/AVB/TS, etc. but he is the one charged with fixing it.

That is a very astute point and one which bears remembering

Agreed. And add to that some very out of sorts players seemingly with no heart or gumption. He needs to be judged when he has had a couple of transfer windows to fix that.

I think some people just didn't like him because he is another intellectual latino (coming after AVB and Ramos)

Big month to see what happens with Kaboul, Ade and Capoue. What does Poch do. Insist they are sold? Also has Lennon really ****ed him off or is it fitness issues? How does he cover for Bentaleb and Mason if we go the whole month without them? I think the rest of the season is an interesting test for him. For me if we finish in the top 8 coupled with just having thumped Chelsea is good enough but alot of eyes will be well focused on the next few months.

I think you are giving insane amounts of credit for POCH choosing them as captains, crazy. Based in nothing. All we know is he DID give them captai ncies and play them every game until 'the incident'. When we all knew they weren't captain material and simply not good enough. It took hi way too long to figure that out.

As for kane being a number 9. Obviously I wrote that before yesterday where it was the most effective demonstration of it, so it convinced me it could work, but it was quite specific to the opposition. Still feel home to QPR or whoever them kane behind would be more effective. But it definitely convinced me more.

Same with poch building. I don't take back anything I said, I did feel like we were pretty bad. Yesterday was amazing Obviusly, and if we can build on it then great, but I don't think yesterday suddenly makes the Man U, palace, burnley etc etc games good.

Hopefully this can be it, but who would be that surprised if we struggled against palace :)

Fair enough, we disagree on the general nature of our opinions. Kane? Look, I told mates last year he looked like a Teddy to me, so I see your point but also see him working uptop. The lad can play both. I know you remain unconvinced, so this is likely a moot point. But I believe the proof is in the viewing. Regarding captaincy issue, trust me, that is exactly how it went down ;-)...with regards to struggle against Palace, etc, again, it might happen but this is a young squad and he is on a long mission. I like the direction.

Fair enough, we disagree on the general nature of our opinions. Kane? Look, I told mates last year he looked like a Teddy to me, so I see your point but also see him working uptop. The lad can play both. I know you remain unconvinced, so this is likely a moot point. But I believe the proof is in the viewing. Regarding captaincy issue, trust me, that is exactly how it went down ;-)...with regards to struggle against Palace, etc, again, it might happen but this is a young squad and he is on a long mission. I like the direction.

So you weren't guessing, you're saying you KNOW that's what happened...?

I'm completely u are Le to argue against kane now, I wonder if I was just infected by my opinions based on the previous years where it looked impossible he could turn out decent and refused to believe it. Would be amazing if the striker we've been waiting for for years was I our doorstep. Let's hope for a 30 goal season from him :)

Here's where your wrong. We were in such a mess this summer that it was last chance saloon for levy. We still have no stadium, can't compete for wages or transfer fees with the biggest clubs, spunked a **** load on average players and had no team or identity.

However we have a great training ground, a great academy and a manager who appreciAtes both. I really think that Levy saw the need for stability and to allow a manager to build something in our club that gives proper foundations.

Just as long we weren't relegated I think poch will be given a good deal of time. Of course progress is needed but perhaps not at the rate previously

Here's where your wrong. We were in such a mess this summer that it was last chance saloon for levy. We still have no stadium, can't compete for wages or transfer fees with the biggest clubs, spunked a **** load on average players and had no team or identity.

However we have a great training ground, a great academy and a manager who appreciAtes both. I really think that Levy saw the need for stability and to allow a manager to build something in our club that gives proper foundations.

Just as long we weren't relegated I think poch will be given a good deal of time. Of course progress is needed but perhaps not at the rate previously

If Levy was spending his time in last chance saloon this summer what's the name of the saloon Mike Ashley is currently enjoying his mid day ****tails in?

We have a great training ground. A great academy. And a chairman that managed to provide both those and what seems a lot like a stadium construction site along with fairly consistent league finishes above our financial expectations and yet it was "last chance saloon"? Makes all kinds of absolutely no sense at all to me.

It's probably hard to over-estimate the value of the Chelsea result.
The amount of space and time it will have bought Poch in the eyes of many fans and opinion-makers/media rabble rousers who were skeptical beforehand is of great worth.
The manner of the performance and the diligent application of the team to the method is something he can point to and something he can now always raise the spirits of his players with.
Look at what you are capable of.
Look at what you did.
Look how we performed against some of the best in the world.
Believe that we can be successful if you do as I want.

Saw some piece by Steve Claridge today that ****ed me right off. Went along the lines of "It's taken a long time but Poch has got it right eventually".

It's exactly the sort of mentality that spawns short term thinking. Poch inherited a bunch of soft players and a team with non identity. He's gotten good results even leaving yesterday aside. He'll have some bad results in the future but, as long as we aren't struggling in the bottom half, he deserves a couple of seasons.

There have been signs over the last few months of things moving in the right direction and yesterday was the pinnacle of Poch's time so far but we are still a team in transition. It takes longer than six months to turn us from what we were to what we want to be.

I had the misfortune of listening to Claridge co-commentating on the Chel53a game on Five live as intrenet was slow.
Hearing him gamely attempt to articulate sentences, approaching each oncoming word with the same dread as a dri_ver dodging cars as he goes down a one-way street in the wrong direction...

And then he came out with this phrase you quote. About it being a long time and how actually Pochettino should have hit in this much quicker. What a clown, it made me so cross! The idea that a new manager dealing with a talented but problematic squad could somehow be deemed to have taken a long time to get it right when he serves up a performance like that 6 months after starting his job.

If Levy was spending his time in last chance saloon this summer what's the name of the saloon Mike Ashley is currently enjoying his mid day ****tails in?

We have a great training ground. A great academy. And a chairman that managed to provide both those and what seems a lot like a stadium construction site along with fairly consistent league finishes above our financial expectations and yet it was "last chance saloon"? Makes all kinds of absolutely no sense at all to me.

Exactly, actually last year proved how strong Levy's position is. Fact is, spurs are not a PLC, Levy can do what the **** he wants, if he wants to appoint a nutless monkey (Tropic Thunder reference) to run the show, he can.

The only person Levy has to give a **** about is Lewis and if you really think Lews gives a **** about who the current coach of Spurs is .. I think you are badly mistaken

It's probably hard to over-estimate the value of the Chel53a result.
The amount of space and time it will have bought Poch in the eyes of many fans and opinion-makers/media rabble rousers who were skeptical beforehand is of great worth.
The manner of the performance and the diligent application of the team to the method is something he can point to and something he can now always raise the spirits of his players with.
Look at what you are capable of.
Look at what you did.
Look how we performed against some of the best in the world.
Believe that we can be successful if you do as I want.

The real long-term value for me as well is in the respect and togetherness a result like this gives Poch with the players. The squad will be convinced now that his methods, while hard on them maybe, can produce spectacular results and give them the plaudits every professional footballer craves. While it looked like some such as Kane, Bentaleb, Mason and co had fully bought into Poch already, if this result brings some doubters, maybe like Dembele, Lennon etc onside and makes those that tried to undermine him in the squad look stupid then if nothing else the result and performance is worth its weight in gold.

The only thing we'll need to be careful of is that up till now every pundit has been falling over themselves to say how sh** Spurs were and how we'd totally mismanaged the selling off of Modric, Bale etc and their replacements. While that might not be totally untrue, the fact that our academy players look so good and that Eriksen and Chadli have undoubtedly improved and that Lamela shows signs of life, this has all culminated in this Chelsea result that will have sent shockwaves through the footballing world.

Managers and teams are now going to be scared of Kane, Eriksen, Bentaleb, Chadli etc. They're going to be scared of Spurs. We are going to have to put up with a lot more teams coming to WHL to get a point and its in those games we have struggled so far.

The real long-term value for me as well is in the respect and togetherness a result like this gives Poch with the players. The squad will be convinced now that his methods, while hard on them maybe, can produce spectacular results and give them the plaudits every professional footballer craves. While it looked like some such as Kane, Bentaleb, Mason and co had fully bought into Poch already, if this result brings some doubters, maybe like Dembele, Lennon etc onside and makes those that tried to undermine him in the squad look stupid then if nothing else the result and performance is worth its weight in gold.

The only thing we'll need to be careful of is that up till now every pundit has been falling over themselves to say how sh** Spurs were and how we'd totally mismanaged the selling off of Modric, Bale etc and their replacements. While that might not be totally untrue, the fact that our academy players look so good and that Eriksen and Chadli have undoubtedly improved and that Lamela shows signs of life, this has all culminated in this Chelsea result that will have sent shockwaves through the footballing world.

Managers and teams are now going to be scared of Kane, Eriksen, Bentaleb, Chadli etc. They're going to be scared of Spurs. We are going to have to put up with a lot more teams coming to WHL to get a point and its in those games we have struggled so far.

Will be interesting to see how the opposition handle them from now on - Kane especially, i wonder if there was a little arrogance from the Chelsea players as he ran in for the equaliser (only Harry Kane, we're in no danger here...) i wouldn't be surprised if next time out in similar circumstance a Chelsea player would have gone through him before he got his shot away

Will be interesting to see how the opposition handle them from now on - Kane especially, i wonder if there was a little arrogance from the Chelsea players as he ran in for the equaliser (only Harry Kane, we're in no danger here...) i wouldn't be surprised if next time out in similar circumstance a Chelsea player would have gone through him before he got his shot away

I don't think it will be very different.

macaron pundits & Sky bunghole lickers will say **** about us (mostly because they are Pool/Scum ex players with no brain), but managers in this league would know for the last 7 years or so, if you let Spurs settle, give us space, you will likely be punished badly (hence even LVG had his players rough house us).

**** sides have been parking the bus here for a decade now ..

Back