• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Yep! I literally had this convo with my mate. He was like "I'm sold on Poch, now".

I was like - mate, OBVIOUSLY this match was an amazing one for Poch and THFC, but you shouldn't make it a deal signer. No different to how people shouldn't write off Poch (as did happen on this board) a few games into the season, just like I (and you, and others) didn't do.

There will still, probably, be bumps in the road. It's the nature of rebuilding a team with a new style, identity and system, not to mention players. But I suppose if this type of result hopefully shifts some people's mentality towards a more patient one when those bumps occur, it won't be a bad thing. But I just worry this will be used as "set up to fail" on the expectations front.

Agreed. Should get him the time he needs.

Been a long time coming actually. We've been good against the good teams most of the season.

Quite interesting how similar the two Chelsea games were. We started off the best, actually better in the 3-0 away loss, but in both games we looked sharper and better. Then they score from their first chance and we looked rattled. Difference was the 2-0 goal in the first game whereas we got the equalizer from Kane at home. Both games swung massively on those goals, but were fairly similar up to that point.

We put ourselves in a position to beat Arsenal away early this season. Thought we were quite good away to Chelsea and against City. Against United we had one poor half and one good half and almost nicked it in the end. Only properly poor performance against a big team was against Liverpool.

Now to figure out to play better against smaller teams...

Personally I'm still utterly unconvinced by Poch but feel we have to give him time. I think it's ridiculous who he gave the captaincies to, I think it's ridiculous how long it took him to realise kaboul and Ade were awful, and fear the bust up is the only reason they'r not around now and not because they're crap - if there wasn't a bust up would they still be playing?!? I think we've been pretty much terrible bar qpr, arsenal, city and the first half against burnley.

I really don't like the way he drops Soldado after he scores when he's clearly a confidence player. I don't like the way he can't see Kane works better BEHIND a striker, don't like the way he thinks Mason is good enough for our squad never mind the first team. I HATE the way he doesn't seem to try and change games, we get battered and he sits back and watches and hopes for the best. That's what harry used to do, he had no clue tactically either...

I find everything really worrying and feel like we're suddenly accepting of being an average premiership team praising players because they "work hard" and not expecting much of us...

Every game I expect us to click, every single time, and I think it about Chelsea, and every game I watch truly awful football. Awful. Create nothing, don't control games, rely on Hugo far too often. I find it all a bit embarrassing to be honest.

I hope your embarrassment has been washed away now.

There is progress game on game which is personally what I wanted to see. I didnt expect excellent performances and winning football off the bat but progress and Poch is delivering... he needed time but needed to show that there was improvement and he has delivered...

He has now settled on a team minus one or two areas i.e. right side which im not sure he is certain of and perhaps the middle of midfield with Mason and Bentaleb but even theyre improving. Defense whilst he has the personnel sorted I think there is improvement there too...

Levy needs to back him in this window and the window after...

Overall he has done extremely well given the circumstances but the criticism in the first few games was rightly deserved although calling for a sacking was not correct

Do those who were clambering for Poch to go only a month ago, still feel the same? Quite simply he gets players playing better.

I was also encouraged that at times, after we scored the second, we dropped into two deeper banks to defend. He's a good manager.

There is progress game on game which is personally what I wanted to see. I didnt expect excellent performances and winning football off the bat but progress and Poch is delivering... he needed time but needed to show that there was improvement and he has delivered...

He has now settled on a team minus one or two areas i.e. right side which im not sure he is certain of and perhaps the middle of midfield with Mason and Bentaleb but even theyre improving. Defense whilst he has the personnel sorted I think there is improvement there too...

Overall he has done extremely well given the circumstances but the criticism in the first few games was rightly deserved although calling for a sacking was not correct
I agree with this point. This is a pivotal moment in the season, why not give it an extra shove and help it on it's way.

Do those who were clambering for Poch to go only a month ago, still feel the same? Quite simply he gets players playing better.

I was also encouraged that at times, after we scored the second, we dropped into two deeper banks to defend. He's a good manager.

I was completely unconvinced by him a month ago .. his obsession with Capoue/Kaboul/Ade, our slow play, wide open against **** teams and no clear 1st team and strategy (that was coming off) was very concerning.

For the last 2-3 weeks the signs of change have been there, better shape/tempo, closer idea of what 1st 11 is, core back line, core attacking units very close to sorted, 1st big win (Barcodes), cup semi, Europa place and grind up table was changing the mood.

Against Cheat$ki was it all together, full 95 minute performance, toe to toe (not a suck up pressure and counter game, no surrender of possession), top team, top manager, we controlled the game for the vast majority of time, from 2-1 they were trying to catch up. 5 goals against Mourinho's Cheat$ki is not a fluke result.

We may stumble a few times again this season, but Poch's last month has earned him enough credit for us to stay on board, back him. I hope the lane backs him and the team as much as they did today ..

Defense whilst he has the personnel sorted I think there is improvement there too...

This is my big concern right now .. this window, not ****ing summer (and yes, you can buy players in January)

We are in as good a spot as can be expected, a right wing forward and maybe an experienced head for midfield are needed.

The boost from a signing is exactly what we need to push on from some very good December results ...

I really hope we don't make the mistake of letting that opportunity slip, in the last 6 years, the difference between us getting 4th or not has been a maximum of 4 points, the right signing could certainly make a difference to the tune of 4 points ...

Great post!
It's a shame that Poch hasn't been able to record a 'signature victory': that is one that gets even more of the fanbase behind him/giving him time when things get choppy. AVB's was the Manure first away win in 23; Redknapp's was that late 2-1 win against Liverpool when Pav got the late, late winner and of course this came a few days after the 4-4 draw with Arsenal!
If only we'd have been able to hold on at the Emirates. Ah well.

I'm happy with how the first half of the season has gone; here's hoping Poch can get a result against Chelski to start the next half of his first league season in good stead.

COYS

Mate, the "signature"result you were asking for. Hope you enjoyed it!

Yeap- some of the early outings were poor, although a lot of it was down to senior players not pulling their weight. Poch's teams are all about athleticism, dynamism, high tempo passing and the deployment of a high line. If the players "buy in" to the game plan then it's a very effective way to play, if not then it becomes much less effective.

I really admire him for sticking to his guns and changing personnel as opposed to changing his philosophy and adapting to some pre-madonas who simply weren't up for the challenge.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Mate,

Going to respond to your post in bold-type italics...

Personally I'm still utterly unconvinced by Poch but feel we have to give him time. I think it's ridiculous who he gave the captaincies to, I think it's ridiculous how long it took him to realise kaboul and Ade were awful, and fear the bust up is the only reason they'r not around now and not because they're crap - if there wasn't a bust up would they still be playing?!?

The art of war. No point running into a building screaming and shouting about things, better to stroll in, size it all up and take proper stock over a period of time. You win the respect and trust of the squad that way. I would wager that when he invited a squad vote for captain he was, shall we say politely, 'disappointed' it was Younes. I'd also say that he took note of how Ade had bossed the club/chairman around in the past and realized that with patience and the deep knowledge he himself was always going to get his way, that everyone would see for themselves and that the wasters would be ousted. I think it'd be very very hard to deny that Poch has dealt with the situation supremely well. AND he's done it without blarting off to the media every 10 minutes. All quiet. All laundry in-house. Quality.

I think we've been pretty much terrible bar qpr, arsenal, city and the first half against burnley.

I really don't like the way he drops Soldado after he scores when he's clearly a confidence player. I don't like the way he can't see Kane works better BEHIND a striker, don't like the way he thinks Mason is good enough for our squad never mind the first team. I HATE the way he doesn't seem to try and change games, we get battered and he sits back and watches and hopes for the best. That's what harry used to do, he had no clue tactically either...

I've picked up on a couple of points here mate. First of all, as long as Chadli is prepared to work hard, Poch has shown there is absolute life in Kane up top simply because there becomes interchange between him, Chadli and Eriksen, thus we become harder to pin down and man-mark. In fact, today, when Chadli really started to put a shift in after a (frankly) tepid first 30 minutes or so, when he really started working, moving into spaces, allowing others to switch outside and inside with him, we were clinical and dominant. As for the subs comment, well, there's not much to say that other than IMO you're wrong. Today's subs alone prove that point - Paulinho, for all the **** he gets on this board, came on, shored things up did a great job and provided an excellent touch in the 5th goal build-up.

I find everything really worrying and feel like we're suddenly accepting of being an average premiership team praising players because they "work hard" and not expecting much of us...

Sorry, but are you telling me you do not see anything Poch is building?

Every game I expect us to click, every single time, and I think it about Chel53a, and every game I watch truly awful football. Awful. Create nothing, don't control games, rely on Hugo far too often. I find it all a bit embarrassing to be honest.

I just cannot believe you are being serious with this last point, and if the joke is (indeed) on me, then congratulations as I have been victim of the greatest prank post on GG Sir!

I was completely unconvinced by him a month ago .. his obsession with Capoue/Kaboul/Ade, our slow play, wide open against **** teams and no clear 1st team and strategy (that was coming off) was very concerning.

For the last 2-3 weeks the signs of change have been there, better shape/tempo, closer idea of what 1st 11 is, core back line, core attacking units very close to sorted, 1st big win (Barcodes), cup semi, Europa place and grind up table was changing the mood.

Against Cheat$ki was it all together, full 95 minute performance, toe to toe (not a suck up pressure and counter game, no surrender of possession), top team, top manager, we controlled the game for the vast majority of time, from 2-1 they were trying to catch up. 5 goals against Mourinho's Cheat$ki is not a fluke result.

We may stumble a few times again this season, but Poch's last month has earned him enough credit for us to stay on board, back him. I hope the lane backs him and the team as much as they did today ..

I genuinely do not think many have an idea how hard it was for him to manage his way through those players, their influence on the squad and to get the squad onside with regards to those players.
Imagine being the squad now. You've seen with your own eyes and bodies how much better it is without them.
Look, even I thought Ade was trying hard to make it work, etc, etc, and thought Poch was trying hard to accommodate him for a while, but then it became clear to me this was not the case. I think Poch might be the toughest manager we have had since Sir Bill and Burky...

Come on Steff, I think that's a bit unfair on Grimsby. I assume he wrote that before today's result Nd the fact is we should have been 3-0 at half time against Man U but for some poor finishing by them, and good luck on our part, not to mention Falcao turning into a pumpkin.

I'm positive about the Poch but we have 3 very winnable games coming up, first up against Palace without Jedinak (I'll be hanging out with him with 20,000 of my nearest and dearest at the AsianCup). If we don't kick on in the next 3 then thisChelsea game will just be an interesting footnote.

I genuinely do not think many have an idea how hard it was for him to manage his way through those players, their influence on the squad and to get the squad onside with regards to those players.
Imagine being the squad now. You've seen with your own eyes and bodies how much better it is without them.
Look, even I thought Ade was trying hard to make it work, etc, etc, and thought Poch was trying hard to accommodate him for a while, but then it became clear to me this was not the case. I think Poch might be the toughest manager we have had since Sir Bill and Burky...

Hopefully this is a good omen that the glory days might be about to return...

@MisterChiping: Tottenham had not scored 5 goals vs Chel53a in the English league in 53 years (5-2, 30.12.1961)

Come on Steff, I think that's a bit unfair on Grimsby. I assume he wrote that before today's result Nd the fact is we should have been 3-0 at half time against Man U but for some poor finishing by them, and good luck on our part, not to mention Falcao turning into a pumpkin.

I'm positive about the Poch but we have 3 very winnable games coming up, first up against Palace without Jedinak (I'll be hanging out with him with 20,000 of my nearest and dearest at the AsianCup). If we don't kick on in the next 3 then thisChelsea game will just be an interesting footnote.

I don't agree it was unfair. I politely replied to his post, nothing personal at all, and I 'think' I know Grimsby enough to believe he will absolutely see it that way and not take it personally at all. as for the last point...I'm looking at what the manager is trying to do beyond three game stretches. He has overcome some huge obstacles. But anyway, each to their own Sir, each to their own...

And something new for MoPo .... 4 PL matches without International break or cup fixtures. And only one away trip to Leicester.

Maybe the 'first team' will have emerged by the time we hit the FACup.

.... and I think it has. Poch seems to have found a settled core to the side, which even helps when covering for injuries as replacements know how the system is meant to work.

We really don't want any replay(s) in the FA Cup, as some free midweeks would be handy for building up for what could be a wonderful 'silly season'. And one way or another we have a young squad - it would be great to pick up some silverware this season and develop the squad into next year.

I think he's been smart, smarter than AVB in this (yep, I said it), AVB made his mind up about certain players (correctly, it must be said) and marginalised them, it didn't hurt the team but he didn't have the evidence to back up his selection, Poch had the same conclusions but gave them enough starts to prove just how ineffective they were before presenting superior solutions, I can't see Levy asking any selection questions of him for a while

all aboard the MP bus! I wouldn't swap him for anyone right now

... well, maybe one guy, maybe

I agree with this point. This is a pivotal moment in the season, why not give it an extra shove and help it on it's way.

If you mean 'spend heavily' then I hope we dont! Stadium is more important as it continuity. We have 7-8 players to flog over the course of this window and the next and probably replace them with say 3-4 (CB, CF, winger and possibly a CM) - I would rather we buy the right players for the right price as opposed to throw cash at things in a rush and end up with too many changes to the squad too quickly

Great post mate. The "lucky general" did well today.

Indeed, but both Jose and Fergie amongst others have been notoriously "lucky" over the years, so I guess we should be glad we have a lucky manager.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Back