• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I'm just going to say I stood by everything I said about our manager. I had a feeling chelsea was a one off mental result. And we are awful yet again tonight. Haven't seen anything positive all season, or any sense we ae getting a team together. Chelsea I hoped was a turning point but here we are, back to our average standard....

Disgusting after sending so many supporters that far too...

troll

tbh...after the Chelsea performance, i don't really care where we end up this season. Poch will need time and hopefully that result bought enough of it for him. and the class we showed against them $*&^% will keep me smiling and happy until the end of the season..

I'm just going to say I stood by everything I said about our manager. I had a feeling Chel53a was a one off mental result. And we are awful yet again tonight. Haven't seen anything positive all season, or any sense we ae getting a team together. Chel53a I hoped was a turning point but here we are, back to our average standard....

Disgusting after sending so many supporters that far too...

i don't think we can conclude that it was a one off result just yet. poch made 7 changes to the starting line up - only verts, fazio, eriksen and chadli were unchanged.

i think we all know that the team that started against chelsea was possibly the strongest team we could field.

poch decided to rotate heavily, and we didn't lose. as for the supporters, they now get a chance to watch us in the fa cup at home :)

The Chelsea result has downsides as well, teams are going to be more defensive against us but will also raise their game for the kudos of beating us/ending our run. It's a mental change for our players as well, that result had put us on the map.
Don't forget what happened to Leicester after the same score and similar game pattern against Man U.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

The Chelsea result has downsides as well, teams are going to be more defensive against us but will also raise their game for the kudos of beating us/ending our run. It's a mental change for our players as well, that result had put us on the map.
Don't forget what happened to Leicester after the same score and similar game pattern against Man U.

The issue of us being good enough that teams turn up to WHL and park the bus, but us not always being quite good enough to break them down, is not a new issue. We've been facing it for the last 5/6 years.

The issue of us being good enough that teams turn up to WHL and park the bus, but us not always being quite good enough to break them down, is not a new issue. We've been facing it for the last 5/6 years.

Yeah - it's been a problem since summer 2008.

For the 15 years before we always had a weak midfield and our forwards (Sheringham, Anderton, Ginola, Kanoute, Keane, Berbatov) carried us.

Since 2008 our midfield has started to dominate games through players like Modric, Palacios, Huddlestone and Sandro, but our forwards have by-and-large not been up to it (vdV and Kane for the last few months excepted)

But after the Chelsea result is there not a chance teams will think teams higher up the food chain, Everton for example, think we are good enough and be more inclined to be defensive. Everton being defensive is maybe not a good example but I'm sure you see my point.

I think we'll see more doubling up on Kane, but that will consequently create more space for Chadli, Eriksen and Townsend/Lamela

I think teams "parking the bus" was definitely an issue from 2008 up to the start of last season. However since then I really don't think many teams have approached games at WHL like this. In the first 4 or 5 games of last season teams were sussing us out post-Bale and tended to sit in with two banks of four. But with no pace at the other end to stretch teams on the break, and the fact we played dull, lifeless football which had no end product, I thought the opposition began to take us on.

A lot of the problems were (and possibly still are) down to our own making. Our tempo especially at the start of games has been extremely slow for the last 18 months. Certainly some of the defeats this season haven't been due to teams sitting & defending for 90 mins. Stoke came and played football and attacked us, Saudi Sportswashing Machine played well in the 2nd half (although offered nothing 1st half including no defensive resilience), West Brom also came and attacked even though it was only a 1-0 they had more chances than us on the day. Even the Palace game they could and should have won because they came out and attacked us. In each of these games we couldn't string 3 passes together and didn't deserve anything - I didn't see evidence of busses being parked!

Thankfully since the Everton game in November (Palace game above excepted) there are clear signs that we are beginning to rectify this, no doubt due to the emergence of the starting XI we have now.

A quick tempo and good movement will pull all manner of teams apart and we are seeing that from the front 4 now.

I think teams "parking the bus" was definitely an issue from 2008 up to the start of last season. However since then I really don't think many teams have approached games at WHL like this. In the first 4 or 5 games of last season teams were sussing us out post-Bale and tended to sit in with two banks of four. But with no pace at the other end to stretch teams on the break, and the fact we played dull, lifeless football which had no end product, I thought the opposition began to take us on.

A lot of the problems were (and possibly still are) down to our own making. Our tempo especially at the start of games has been extremely slow for the last 18 months. Certainly some of the defeats this season haven't been due to teams sitting & defending for 90 mins. Stoke came and played football and attacked us, Saudi Sportswashing Machine played well in the 2nd half (although offered nothing 1st half including no defensive resilience), West Brom also came and attacked even though it was only a 1-0 they had more chances than us on the day. Even the Palace game they could and should have won because they came out and attacked us. In each of these games we couldn't string 3 passes together and didn't deserve anything - I didn't see evidence of busses being parked!

Thankfully since the Everton game in November (Palace game above excepted) there are clear signs that we are beginning to rectify this, no doubt due to the emergence of the starting XI we have now.

A quick tempo and good movement will pull all manner of teams apart and we are seeing that from the front 4 now.

Agreed. I don't think any of WBA, Stoke or Palace parked the bus against us. All three came and were prepared to commit men forward and play football against us. Yes they got themselves organised when they surrendered possession, but surely that is the least we should expect against any team? Our main problem against these teams originated from the fact that when we gained possession Capoue would stand between our two centre halves, demand the ball and then spend the next 2 minutes exchanging 15 passes with our centre halves and fullbacks allowing the opposition to get into their defensive shape. Still Capoue had "the best pass completion stats in the team" and had "completed more passes than any other player in the league" which according to a few on here proved what an asset he was to the team.

I think we'll see more doubling up on Kane, but that will consequently create more space for Chadli, Eriksen and Townsend/Lamela

Indeed, plus Kane's movement is too smart for doubling up to work effectively. He roams with such deceptive impunity that people switch off for a couple of seconds and he's in. The boy has genuine, genuine quality and talent, honed over a few seasons. He is as close to Teddy as I have seen, and I never thought anyone could be close to Tedward, a total, and utter, ledge of a player.

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice how much more dangerous we looked at times after Paulinho came on?? I know it's slightly off topic and I don't think the guy is the answer but one of the things we have seen this season is a lack of players getting in the box alongside the striker. Chadli does it well, whilst Eriksen tends to sit on the edge leaving the late run to Mason if he's up in support. The problem comes when Chadli is crossing as Lamela and Townsend stay in fairly unthreatening positions. When Paulinho came on, one thing he did was give their defence something else to think about besides Kane when Chadli was out wide.

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice how much more dangerous we looked at times after Paulinho came on?? I know it's slightly off topic and I don't think the guy is the answer but one of the things we have seen this season is a lack of players getting in the box alongside the striker. Chadli does it well, whilst Eriksen tends to sit on the edge leaving the late run to Mason if he's up in support. The problem comes when Chadli is crossing as Lamela and Townsend stay in fairly unthreatening positions. When Paulinho came on, one thing he did was give their defence something else to think about besides Kane when Chadli was out wide.

same thing when mason was introduced - he was the extra man up there that counted.

both mason and paulinho know how and when to get into dangerous areas ... so suddenly we appear to have more options up front and the defence knows it. both mason and paulinho also know how to give-and-go - adding some more unpredictatbility in attack (something that bentaleb doesn't do enough IMO).

ever since modric left our centre mids have been sideways passers, there hasn't been very good penetration directly from the centre of the pitch. mason and bentaleb looked out best for a long time against chel53a, but you have to compare that to Arsenal and Emirates Marketing Project and Chel53a on a better day to see that they are not to the level of silva, carzola, toure et al's contributions in attack.

i believe paulinho was to be that man - and he looked the part early on especially in the game against Man U, but that Charlie Adams injury seemed to set him back a few years. maybe the injury has some lingering effects physically or mentally, but i do hope that poch can do his magic and show us the true paulie whilst bentaleb is away. there is a player in there somewhere:

[video=youtube;0ZwLwUorUa0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZwLwUorUa0[/video]

That Paulinho video......

Not sure whether to laugh or cry. A full season highlights video that is three minutes long, has half a minute of idle jogging, 3/4 flicks that found their way to someone on his team, a headed goal against dreadful opposition and the masterclass against Stoke in which he managed to nutmeg someone and drag a shot a meter wide.

same thing when mason was introduced - he was the extra man up there that counted.

both mason and paulinho know how and when to get into dangerous areas ... so suddenly we appear to have more options up front and the defence knows it. both mason and paulinho also know how to give-and-go - adding some more unpredictatbility in attack (something that bentaleb doesn't do enough IMO).

ever since modric left our centre mids have been sideways passers, there hasn't been very good penetration directly from the centre of the pitch. mason and bentaleb looked out best for a long time against chel53a, but you have to compare that to Arsenal and Emirates Marketing Project and Chel53a on a better day to see that they are not to the level of silva, carzola, toure et al's contributions in attack.

i believe paulinho was to be that man - and he looked the part early on especially in the game against Man U, but that Charlie Adams injury seemed to set him back a few years. maybe the injury has some lingering effects physically or mentally, but i do hope that poch can do his magic and show us the true paulie whilst bentaleb is away. there is a player in there somewhere:

I've said this time and time again! Paulinho (and Mason) are the only midfielders that make runs into the box instead of passing sideways. Should not get rid of Paulinho as we need both of him and Mason.
It really adds a new dimention to our game when you get that "extra" player in the box!

I've said this time and time again! Paulinho (and Mason) are the only midfielders that make runs into the box instead of passing sideways. Should not get rid of Paulinho as we need both of him and Mason.
It really adds a new dimention to our game when you get that "extra" player in the box!

Mason is progressive in his passing.
Paulinho passes sideways. He is good at getting forwards off the ball but at best he's average on the ball.

Back