• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Where do you see us finishing this season? Same question to all actually.

4th-7th most likely 5th or 6th. All the teams up there bar Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea will have at least one big dip in form and some are yet to do so. Once Walker and Yedlin come in, maybe one or two additions in January I can see us having a better second half of the season than first...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Where do you see us finishing this season? Same question to all actually.

Essentially the same as Jordinho. I still think there's a chance we'll get 4th. But there's also a chance we'll finish 8th. Although everything is possible I think bottom half is extremely unlikely. 9th-10th also seem unlikely.

You can't just say because the average age of the team is fairly young that's good enough for Poch to work with. He has to have players with the exact attributes that he wants...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Did I say that because they're young that's good enough for Poch to work with?

I think Mason and Bentaleb are very good fits. Eriksen has adapted well and obviously has the talent. I've been saying all along that Lennon is the kind of diligent player that could do well under Poch. Kane has pushed on again from last season and comparisons with Lambert are not entirely out of place - a player that Poch obviously could work with. I think Lamela has tons of talent, and he works hard and puts a shift in every time. Again, someone who could be a very good fit and Poch seems to rate him too.

What I was saying was that in our squad there are players that I don't think are a great fit, but it's primarily other players than the group listed here. Not because they're young, that's a different point. But perhaps because they're playing. They've taken the places of more established players and I think there's a reason for that.

I think we will finish somewhere between 8th and 10th
I'd be quite happy with that if we see some of the fringe (surplus) players moved on in January and some players better suited to Poch's preferred way of playing come in.

I still would not expect us to be the finished article but a bit of consistency in performances and how we approach games in the second half of the season and I would consider it to be a successful first season.

I'd be quite happy with that if we see some of the fringe (surplus) players moved on in January and some players better suited to Poch's preferred way of playing come in.

I still would not expect us to be the finished article but a bit of consistency in performances and how we approach games in the second half of the season and I would consider it to be a successful first season.

If we also see some real improvement in how we attack against teams like Crystal Palace then yes.

If we also see some real improvement in how we attack against teams like Crystal Palace then yes.
I agree. The supposed upside of a "systems manager" or paella manager as we are now calling them is that we should be better at breaking down teams that sit back. We need to see progress in this direction over the course of the season.

Identifying and hopefully getting rid of those that have no long term future at the club would be a good start in addition to the promotion of some youth.

I agree. The supposed upside of a "systems manager" or paella manager as we are now calling them is that we should be better at breaking down teams that sit back. We need to see progress in this direction over the course of the season.

Exactly. And it's arguably one of the hardest things to learn properly in football I think. It's something that usually takes time, but when it does happen I think it's a great sign for future progress. If you can break down teams that sit back chances are you also have the accuracy necessary to attack well on the break.

Identifying and hopefully getting rid of those that have no long term future at the club would be a good start in addition to the promotion of some youth.
I agree. I think that it is very telling that both Sherwood and Poch have chosen to overlook established Premier League players in favour of youth players.

I have a feeling that we will see a lot more academy players make the step up over the next year.

Exactly. And it's arguably one of the hardest things to learn properly in football I think. It's something that usually takes time, but when it does happen I think it's a great sign for future progress. If you can break down teams that sit back chances are you also have the accuracy necessary to attack well on the break.
I think that people are forgetting how long this has been a problem for us. Unless you have world class attacking players it is really difficult to do. A lot of the complaints from Spurs fans are very similar to those of Arsenal fans.

I agree. I think that it is very telling that both Sherwood and Poch have chosen to overlook established Premier League players in favour of youth players.

I have a feeling that we will see a lot more academy players make the step up over the next year.

I hope so too, at least if they're at the level Mason, Bentaleb and Kane are. But we need to add some clever first team signings to that too.

-------

Anyone arguing that the current bunch of primarily young players aren't well suited to Pochettino football should re-watch the first 15-20 minutes of the Chelsea game.

I would love to see how many here said they would or wouldn't give Poch this WHOLE season to settle when he was first hired.

How is this the case when Sherwood managed to do it pretty consistently?

Listen I don't want pouch sacked, and to be honest if we end up in the top half... But play consistently well (as in like we did against Everton), then that will be an OK starting point. But palace arguable could have/should have won yesterday, and that has been indicative of our season, its not the poor result that I have a problem with, its the poor result coupled with a poor performance.

I know I keep going on about Sherwood and I swear I'm not related to the guy, but why was Sherwood ridicule d for doing so by some, yet pouch is praised... Its the double standards that gets me.

Listen I don't want pouch sacked, and to be honest if we end up in the top half... But play consistently well (as in like we did against Everton), then that will be an OK starting point. But palace arguable could have/should have won yesterday, and that has been indicative of our season, its not the poor result that I have a problem with, its the poor result coupled with a poor performance.
Sherwood managed it by the side being left open so there was something for teams to attack. It is like a boxer fighting with their guard down. You will invite punches.

Hang on. Are you disagreeing in general? Or just wondering how Sherwood managed it? If you're disagreeing in general that breaking down well organized teams that sit back I think you need to expand and explains your opinion a bit.

For me the most important part of the success under Sherwood was Adebayor. Because of the circumstances of his dropping he was motivated and raring to go, for some months there we had the Ade of his loan spell and a truly top class striker in our team. Sherwood also sacrificed a lot of defensive solidity by playing players like Eriksen and Chadli in central midfield to get more technical ability in the team.

Back