• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January transfer window wishlist

I just think it would be such an inconsequential signing. Rose should be back in a couple of weeks, Vertonghen is perfectly able there and it also allows game time for the superb Chiriches and will allow Kaboul more minutes in his return to fitness. It's a little misguided to think signing a left back is going to change our fortunes, this new left back would just be one in a long line of very expensive bench warmers - or in some cases the seats behind the bench. For me, I think just sticking Benteke up top would fix a lot of our problems but even so I would want AVB to prove his worth with the signings he just spent £100m on before having to bail him out.

I just think it would be such an inconsequential signing. Rose should be back in a couple of weeks, Vertonghen is perfectly able there and it also allows game time for the superb Chiriches and will allow Kaboul more minutes in his return to fitness. It's a little misguided to think signing a left back is going to change our fortunes, this new left back would just be one in a long line of very expensive bench warmers - or in some cases the seats behind the bench. For me, I think just sticking Benteke up top would fix a lot of our problems but even so I would want AVB to prove his worth with the signings he just spent £100m on before having to bail him out.

It's been two months since his original 'two-week' layoff. We could conceivably go the whole season waiting for him to return in a 'couple of weeks'.

If he's not back as a starter for the City game, or at a maximum by the end of November, I think his chance to prove he can be our LB will have passed him by. And at that stage, I'll be firmly in the 'need a new LB' category. We cannot play Verts there: for all his marauding virtues, he tends to drift infield too often, which we cannot afford from our touchline-hugging wing-backs. He's also not the greatest crosser in the world, or the quickest on the turn. No, if Rose doesn't return (and if AVB still thinks BAE can't do a job again), then we will definitely need a new LB: someone young (resale value), preferably English or British (again, resale value), speedy, adept at burning down the wing with and without the ball, and able to put in accurate crosses and cut-backs under pressure.

It's a bit of a pipe dream, but in that eventuality I'm rather hoping we at least try to get Luke Shaw. I know he has no reason to move, Southampton have no reason to sell him, and he's a Chelsea fan to boot, but hey, stranger things have happened.

i actually thought verts was doing a great job out there.

also thought he was a very good crosser of the ball and him cutting in is a delight and shows alot of intelligence and awareness of the space available to him.

How many LBs out there would be a significant upgrade on Rose? Are they really worth the kind of money we'd have to pay and would they even consider coming here? I think we should look for potential instead. Someone to be backup to Rose, unless Fryers is actually rated by the coaching staff.

A(nother) ball playing CB would be nice, depending on Kaboul's long term fitness of course. Would love to see Vlad and Verts paired together as well.

Ade and/or Defoe to go and be replaced by someone up and coming.

New backup GK, but that probably won't happen until the summer.

i actually thought verts was doing a great job out there.

also thought he was a very good crosser of the ball and him cutting in is a delight and shows alot of intelligence and awareness of the space available to him.

I agree...Vertonghen has been brilliant at left back imo.

what if Rose is out for another 2 or 3 months??

Vertonghen is a centre half, we need him in his natural position

the point is that in AVB's system the full backs are absolutely essential to our attacking play.....i wish it wasnt like this, but heyho thats life. Thats why we need to be stronger at full back than maybe other areas of the pitch. even on the other side, an injury to Walker and we are well and truly fecked.

Naughton is a decent player but is no good for how AVB has us set up.

Exactly this. Verts is a decent left back but better centre back. Without Rose, we don't have anyone that can play that marauding left back role that is so necessary with inverted wingers. Hence, I would love Mena.

We also need an Ade mk1 or similar to give us some different attacking options. Of the realistic options available, I like Benteke personally. Michu or Remy look like they could also do a job for us, possibly alongside Soldado.

Exactly this. Verts is a decent left back but better centre back. Without Rose, we don't have anyone that can play that marauding left back role that is so necessary with inverted wingers. Hence, I would love Mena.

We also need an Ade mk1 or similar to give us some different attacking options. Of the realistic options available, I like Benteke personally. Michu or Remy look like they could also do a job for us, possibly alongside Soldado.

Mena will sign for Granada in the next week or so.

Boo hoo. Can't we ask London Weekend to make a counter offer?:lol:

He is a naturally left sided player. A great overlapping full back with a tremendous cross as he showed for Chile against England. Just what we need to bolster our left side.

any good?
Saw him play for CFR Cluj 2-3 years he was ok for PL standards. But then again that was around 5 years ago, he might have upgraded his talent playing for Inter, but I have not followed him closely so maybe some who has a better knowledge of his recent playing ability. He is fast though and decent on the ball, those the qualities i remember him by.

I really think we are doing well in defense so springing money for a LB at this time is not necessary, why change a thing that is going well ? The problem is the midfield, if it's either the tactics or maybe new players have not bedded in that good, i don't know. I really think AVB should have an idea about who has to start and try to play the same players so they can get those playing relations going. With that in mind, I believe that some transfers are not impressing, so I believe we should splash out the cash on a single midfield player who can help us get going. Examples like I said before : Thomas Muller, Julian Draxler or one of those "in love with the ball" brazilians...

I really think we are doing well in defense so springing money for a LB at this time is not necessary, why change a thing that is going well ? The problem is the midfield, if it's either the tactics or maybe new players have not bedded in that good, i don't know. I really think AVB should have an idea about who has to start and try to play the same players so they can get those playing relations going. With that in mind, I believe that some transfers are not impressing, so I believe we should splash out the cash on a single midfield player who can help us get going. Examples like I said before : Thomas Muller, Julian Draxler or one of those "in love with the ball" brazilians...

Although I agree with you that the defence looks really good, a LB is also very much part of our attacking play and when we have played Naughton out there we have struggled. Rose has impressed me so far, so could just be a decent back up.

Although I agree with you that the defence looks really good, a LB is also very much part of our attacking play and when we have played Naughton out there we have struggled. Rose has impressed me so far, so could just be a decent back up.
We have Rose for that he was a midfielder at some point so he has plenty of attacking skills. By the way I don't think we are not scoring a lot of goals because of the WB if you ask me, they are not the ones that should score or even create goal scoring opportunities... but that's just me...

We have Rose for that he was a midfielder at some point so he has plenty of attacking skills. By the way I don't think we are not scoring a lot of goals because of the WB if you ask me, they are not the ones that should score or even create goal scoring opportunities... but that's just me...

Of course they aren't but they are crucial to create width when you play with inverted wingers which seems to be AVB's preferred choice. It's all about fielding a balanced team and at the moment I think we struggle down the left hand side and only seems to use our right side. Hopefully Rose will soon be back to full fitness.

I wouldn't mind seeing us bring in one player with a bit of experience. Someone who has won stuff and everyone would instantly respect. This team is good and will grow together but I think that sometimes they can be out smarted by more experienced sides. The Chelsea game springs to mind, we had a good first 30 minutes and then they started roughing us up a bit and we lost focus and started chasing the game.

I do agree that lb is the weak slot, but I can't think of a realistic signing that is better than Rose

people say Baines (and I'm a fan) but united and city could and would both outbid us if they thought Everton would deal

That left back at QPR looks alright! What about him?

Puss-In-Boots-Oooh-Cat-Reaction-Gif.gif

I do agree that lb is the weak slot, but I can't think of a realistic signing that is better than Rose

people say Baines (and I'm a fan) but united and city could and would both outbid us if they thought Everton would deal

Coentrao, Ricardo Rodriguez, Alvaro Pereira, Latovlevici?

Agree Baines is unrealistic - he's off to United

I really feel the midfield is our weak point, of course we have lots of players in that area, but most of them don't seem up to the challenge, coming from the likes of St. Etienne why would they be? I don't really like to judge before at least 6 months at a club but i feel Paulinho is going to be a flop, i dislike him, he has not special skill, nothing springs to mind when i see him play, speed:average at best, technique:for a brazilian bellow average, tackling(him being a DM in this formation) bellow average, passing: average so he seems poor. And although others have not impressed either : Erikssen, Lamela(except for the Moldova game), Capoue I am still holding my opinion because they have showed signs of quality...

Back