• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January transfer rumour thread

and may have played a part in our poor second half of last season......too many players who had not been rotated lacked that 'spark' after Jan

Who knows, this might not be a problem next season if Harry's taken the England job. But in all seriousness, it is quite rare to see the same 11 fielded nearly every match, only to change due to injury and other circumstances. I really do worry that Ade might be complacent knowing that his spot on the team sheet is guaranteed week in, week out.

Please let there be a new striker
[-o<[-o<[-o<[-o<

Who knows, this might not be a problem next season if Harry's taken the England job. But in all seriousness, it is quite rare to see the same 11 fielded nearly every match, only to change due to injury and other circumstances. I really do worry that Ade might be complacent knowing that his spot on the team sheet is guaranteed week in, week out.

Please let there be a new striker
[-o<[-o<[-o<[-o<

I can see tomorrow being a very boring day... Partly because we have the match against wigan, if we haven't signed anyone before that i don't think anyones going to come in..

Though i'd love to be wrong..

I can see tomorrow being a very boring day... Partly because we have the match against wigan, if we haven't signed anyone before that i don't think anyones going to come in..

Though i'd love to be wrong..

Cue immense amounts of speculation over Levy's whereabouts. Until they produce a close up of him, sending everyone into depression.

I think that's an important point. We're getting a new generation of footballers now, but they haven't all established themselves as household names yet. Looking at the left hand side of that list, even the most casual fan who only watches European finals and the last stages of the WC (without really paying attention to who plays I should add) would know who they are.

I think it's what people often forget when they make comparisons. If you'd have asked someone during the early 00s who they thought the best players of the next generation would be, you'd have had names like Recoba, Adriano, Kezman and Morientes thrown at you alongside the players that REALLY made it to the top...

It's easy to laud a player once they have all the trophies under the sun.

its amazing that our prospects for the rest of the season are going to rest upon the fitness of Adebayor. He may not be prolific but his overall abilities add so much to our attacking play. Levy and Redknapp are taking a huge gamble

How about looking at it in a different way.

Essentially, you are here saying that these players were the greats of that period. This is of course very true. They were world class players.

How about this:

The quality of the game has increased so much overall that it's harder for the players to stand out amongst the mass. We have a few exceptions like Messi, but what if the problem is NOT a lack of world class players, but the inflation of them?

Yes, you might call this rubbish, but I find it a viable idea.

Its not rubbish but I disagree with it.

I do concede the idea that alot of todays players are still young, and when comparing, we compare with seasoned players in their prime. However, most of the players in that list were special very young.

When you look at players like Rossi, Huntelaar, Falque, Liorente, Hulk, Suarez, etc, they are not exactly kids, and I dont really see them in the same vein. I just remember being in awe of way more players before than I am now.

The standard has increased, but so has the hype. Look at Torres. I bet people thought he was going to be a legend, and rightly so. But its the same with alot of guys today, their name and reputation and price tag is replacing the reality.

Redknapp very rarely rotates his favourite players for the most important competitions. If Walker is fit he will play every Prem game, every CL game. If i was Naughton, id want more than than the odd Carling cup or Fa cup game, even if it meant playing week in week out at a mid table Prem team. Footballers should want to play football at every given opportunity, and especially players like Naughton at the age he is.

I have to say this is an attitude attributed to footballers so often these days which I just hate (the attitude, not the use of it in argument as such)

Look at Lennon, brought in as Routledges understudy/reserve. Where are they now?

Football is all about opportunities, but so often people think opportunity comes from moving to find it - just as often it comes from being in the right place all along and simply having patience.

If I were Naughton I would see myself at this top level club, looking for force my way in and prove my worth every chance I get.

I would know that Form and Fitness are not guaranteed, and so opportunities will come along.
I would know that managers these days are far from permanent fixtures and a new man could like me more.
I would know that in training and in 'lower' games I would have the chance to show just how good I was, and force the manager into asking questions.
I would know that chances are abound to those with the right attitude.

Would it be unambitious to hold on for a time for these chances (with the ultimate goal of cementing myself in the first team of a CL club)? Or to move to a mid-lower table nothing side just to play every week?

Who was that GHod awful striker we got on loan for 6 months back in what I think was ten late 90's. I think he came from sheffield utd??

Andy something???

Immune, to this now, and not even slightly bothered. I used to literally spend every minute of a month checking for a transfer.

Now, I have no excitement or disappointment about it. A sign of our team's progress, as well as getting sick of all the pure bullsh#t, I guess.

Charlie Adam was the 11.45pm present that Levy was offering Redknapp at the end of last Jan's window (thank GHod that Adam's reluctance too join us and paperwork problems prevented the move)

who will be the gift this time round...i predict Kenwynne Jones

When you look at players like Rossi, Huntelaar, Falque, Liorente, Hulk, Suarez, etc, they are not exactly kids, and I dont really see them in the same vein. I just remember being in awe of way more players before than I am now.

The standard has increased, but so has the hype. Look at Torres. I bet people thought he was going to be a legend, and rightly so. But its the same with alot of guys today, their name and reputation and price tag is replacing the reality.

You look at Torres, and I think we're going to have to put him in the "What if" category when he retires. He was sensational for Liverpool to begin with but looks like he may be finished as a top contender. I hope not, but you never know.

As for Hulk, that bloke is just brick. He's going to be the greatest pants pulled down moment of this decade imo.

For me, I think the very top is missing the artistic genius. Christiano arguably has/had it, but a lot of the flair has been trained out of him to make him into a more complete player. Is that the answer? That managers and back room staff are pointing kids in the direction of industry?

Look at the Spanish national team, they know how to win a game of football and you have to say they are brilliant... But exciting? No way, and it's because they are so well drilled.

Maybe to highlight it best, Bale has some good tricks in his locker, but how often will he apply them on the pitch? Is that his decision or has he been told to rein it in? Nani, when he first arrived at Manchester, I remember him humiliating I think maybe Clichy? He was full of beans and always wanted to use a trick. Look at him now.

I think it's a very managed pragmatism from the top down that seems to be reducing the amount of "sensational" football. It's why I liked watching Arda Turan so much when he was at Galatasary, they let him play. As it is, it seems that only an uncontrollable idiot savant like Taraabt or Balotelli, who goes against orders, is going to give us the pleasant looking trickery that we used to thrive on. Unless the player gets bigger than the manager or you get a rare manager who will really let his players express themselves.

Last edited:
And there will be plenty more still thinking that at 11:15 tomorrow night, desperately hoping there is a concluded signing that hasnt yet been announced.

Disappointment to follow shortly afterwards....

Maybe so but if our rivals also fail to sign anyone i'll be ok with it. Would be a shame but all i'm thinking about tomorrow is 3 points (well also Monday Night Raw too as that's technically on tomorrow). Anyway we shall see.

Back