• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January transfer rumour thread

I wonder what the odds were on Nelsen to Spurs a couple of hours ago :-k Maybe Harry's dog's been doing some betting.

i wouldn't have been bothered if no signings had been made tbh - but, as it stands we have greatly improved our back up to Adebayor (IMO, obviously) and swapped a 5th choice CB who has trouble with slotting in to the team with an experienced premiership CB

overall there has been an improvement to the squad

agree completely. and with Pienaar gone, We still have kranjcar, gio, vdv, lennon, bale as wide midfield options to choose from (and im surely forgetting a few youngsters)

Harry said after the game that he pulled the Pienaar deal as the deal for that Krasic chap had fallen through. Does that mean we have a replacement lined up?

i wouldn't have been bothered if no signings had been made tbh - but, as it stands we have greatly improved our back up to Adebayor (IMO, obviously) and swapped a 5th choice CB who has trouble with slotting in to the team with an experienced premiership CB

overall there has been an improvement to the squad

An experienced CB who has played once this season, and is plagued by injuries. As for squad improvement: really don't buy that, especially now we have offloaded another midfielder. Saha a 'great improvement' over Pav?

i don't know why people are so fudging upset over this deal - how many games would you have expected Bassong to feature in this season ? and how many times has he played over the past 2 seasons and looked shaky/nervous ? we have Kaboul King Gallas and dwason in front of Nelson - if we ever need our 5th choice cb, i know id rather be relying on a player who has the experience of Nelson than a player who is going to have a question mark over him, like Bassong. (btw i like Bassong and think he done a great job the season we finished fourth, but as a back u he has been somewhat of a liability)

An experienced CB who has played once this season, and is plagued by injuries. As for squad improvement: really don't buy that, especially now we have offloaded another midfielder. Saha a 'great improvement' over Pav?

absolutely when you consider we're getting 7+ Million (or is it 11?) for a 30 yr old striker who's 4th in the rotation

Is it possible that with the new stadium project we simply don't have any spare cash? If the aim of this window was to raise a few million in transfer fees while keeping the wage bill down then mission accomplished.

I think thats nailon head, these deals are short term or loans and have not left us any worse off, we will most likely have saved a few million for the summer when you take into account the wages.

Pleased to see that the might be a more open pathway through to the first team squad for the youngsters, best thing about this window is how many youngsters we have playing in the championship.

Hope we can get rid of jenas, dos santos and bentley in the summer and players like naughton and caulker can become first team members while we loan a few youngsters to prem teams next year. All good as far as i can see, would have liked a bid for wells at southampton but that aside im happy.

IMO Saha is a much better option than Pav as a direct replacement for Adebayor - Saha is a great player on his day and will work tirelessly for the team - exactly the type of player we need from now until the end of the season. I 100% back this transfer

Out:
Pavlyuchenko
Corluka
Bassong
Pienaar

In:
Saha
Nelson (maybe)

I think Saha might be a slightly better back-up striker than Pav. But overall it definitely feels like we've weakened the squad this window. Makes no sense to me given that we're in third, only 5 points off the top spot, with a third of the season left to play. No sense at all.

i don't know why people are so fudging upset over this deal - how many games would you have expected Bassong to feature in this season ? and how many times has he played over the past 2 seasons and looked shaky/nervous ? we have Kaboul King Gallas and dwason in front of Nelson - if we ever need our 5th choice cb, i know id rather be relying on a player who has the experience of Nelson than a player who is going to have a question mark over him, like Bassong. (btw i like Bassong and think he done a great job the season we finished fourth, but as a back u he has been somewhat of a liability)

If we sold bassong in the summer without him playing again for us we would get maybe 4m but if he has a decent loan spell maybe we could get 6m, seems wise decesion to me.

Possibly even a recommendation from Friedel?

Quite possibly. Seems random so would make sense. Just hope he fitness is fine at least, because while on paper we have King, Daws, Gallas, Kaboul, two of those are questionable fitness, one may have to play at RB if Walker is out so he may be nearer to starting than we think.

Dislike him all you like but losing pienaar is weakening our team. Surely we've got someone in?

Seeing as we haven't relied on both Kranjcar and Pienaar at the same time and have no more EL fixtures, I just think Kranjcar will play a little bit more.

IMO Saha is a much better option than Pav as a direct replacement for Adebayor - Saha is a great player on his day and will work tirelessly for the team - exactly the type of player we need from now until the end of the season. I 100% back this transfer

I did wonder if that is what you meant. That is fair enough. I have no issues with Saha as a back-up, and have merely stated that in the Summer our manager (whoever it is) will have to strengthen/finalise longer term options. In the meantime lets hope Saha is fit and sharp.

Back