• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January transfer rumour thread

What about this? I'm sure Harry knows best, but:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2083245/Blackburn-defender-Ryan-Nelsen-asks-All-Blacks-help-bid-save-career.html

Blackburn defender Nelsen asks All Blacks rugby team for help in bid to save career

By Chris Wheeler

Last updated at 11:01 PM on 6th January 2012

Blackburn's New Zealand defender Ryan Nelsen has turned to the All Blacks medical team in a bid to salvage his career.

Nelsen, 34, has played only once since having a knee operation nine months ago, and was given permission to fly home this week and have his injury assessed by the rugby surgeons.

Asked if there are fears that his club captain may struggle to play at the top level again, Blackburn boss Steve Kean said: 'I think that's always a concern.

'It seemed to be going in the right direction but he's played in behind-closed-doors games and felt some discomfort.

'The type of injury he's had is more common in rugby so he's gone out to see the All Black surgeons and their rehab team to see if they can give him a different format.

'If he has to have surgery again that would be tough bearing in mind he's only played one game in nine months.'

That's the situation you almost want to be in though with a new manager at a big club like Spurs. It will be a strong manager coming in and he will want to make his own big signings to shape the team. Keeper for sure, probably time to sort one or even two CBs to take the club forward the next 5 years, a big name forward or two.

I have posted elsewhere that this may be the reason, along with difficulty in getting players, and costs of stadium. If it is the forme rthen fair enough, but it is risky considering we are aiming for 3rd.

if bassong goes and we end up passing on Nelson, could we bring back Caulker from Swansea if we're in a bind for CB's

bassongs gone.

I really dont get out dealings. We DO NOT have that big a squad or rather the quality is a bit on the low side so to get rid of Bassong is a bit bricky. King is always injured, Gallas - where the fudge is he, Dawson lacks some of the pace that Bassong has.

Im not entirely convinced

'On 31st January 2012 Nelsen was rumoured to be in talks with Tottenham Hotspur about a deadline day move. Which is a massive waste of time for all concerned, may as well of kept Bassong'

On Ryan Nelson's Wikipedia lol

Just don't see the point of letting Bassong go when his replacement has had bad injuries? If Walker is out we play Kaboul RB, then who at CB if King is unfit? Dawson and Nelson?

You disputing my view that we will have significant buying to do? Because that was my point. But for the sake of argument, we had RB cover, now we don't. If Bassong goes, and Nelson comes in, my guess is we will have to replace him in summer, fair? Personally I am not convinced Saha is better option than Pav. Funny though the players haven't been available for us for some time now, how many players do we apparently miss out on? Big bids, never any outcome. Which is why we are scrambling about at the last minute, and why?

I'm not keen on Nelson and would rather keep Bassong, who I think is decent but very short of match practice. Other than that I think that we are in an ok position and I do not think that the players needed to take us forward were available or willing to move in this window. In which case, I think that tinkering, moving on a couple of unhappy players and in Saha, bringing in a player who is better suited to deputising for Ade was a sensible approach to take.

Back